Status: Active

Not Over You

huit

Another week had gone by and Samantha still hadn't seen or heard from Elena. She constantly called and texted her but Elena would never reply back. She thought about going to visit Adam's condo but decided against it since she didn't know what she would even say to begin with. Just to keep her mind busy from Elena and the little Jon fiasco that occurred not too long before, she spent most of her time in her bakery.

She didn't see Grant that often either. He would stop by every day to have a little coffee break with her, which the other bakers just found adorable. Yet whenever she saw Grant, she felt nothing but guilt. She felt guilty that she had kissed Jon and never told him about it. She felt guilty that she never even told Grant that she knew Jon to begin with, and just to top it all off, she felt guilty because what Elena had said about Grant being in love with her was true.

While she was busy in the back folding some dough, Ana walked in the back and called out her name. "Sam! There's some guy here to see you?"

"Well who is it?" She huffed, with her arms sore from kneading so much dough.

Ana shrugged, "I don't know. I think he's one of those hockey guys because a few people already asked for his autograph."

Samantha let out a sigh before washing her hands to see who had wanted her. Right there stood Adam Burish with that cheesy grin on his face.

"I think I'm the only one from the team who hasn't seen this place yet," Adam said, looking around. "It's nice."

"What do you want, Adam?" She asked, getting to the point.

Adam sighed, and motioned his head to the end of the counter where they were away from other customers. She followed him while still behind the counter. She leaned on the glass display to get close to him.

"I'm getting traded."

"W-What? Are you serious?" She asked, wide eyed. "To where?"

"Dallas," Adam frowned. "I knew my contract was up, but I was hoping the team would at least try and keep me."

She was stunned. The Blackhawks were losing a family member, and he was a member that everyone loved, especially Patrick Sharp.

"I still can't believe it," she sighed.

He chuckled lowly, "Yeah, me neither. But I'm having a party at my place tonight. You should come."

"When are you leaving?"

"Next Sunday," he answered. "I have a lot to pack and I gotta start training with my new team soon."

Samantha nodded, "Alright, I'll be there."

Adam smiled and told her what time to arrive. She promised him that she would be there and that she would bring a little something as a treat. He gave her a wave before exiting the bakery to head back home. She walked back into the kitchen to finish up on what she needed to.

When she and Jon were dating, the drafts were something that he always warned her about. Sure it's great meeting new people, but as a team for a whole season you get so close together. Luckily, Jon had a few years left on his contract so he didn't have to worry about anything at the moment. But losing one of your closest friends and then later playing against them is probably one of the things that Jon hated most about his career.

Physically she was still there, but mentally she was elsewhere. That draft made her realize that people can be gone in an instant. She knew that she had to make things up with Jon and Elena that night even though her pride kept telling her not to. The next thing she knew, it was closing time and she had to get ready for Adam's party.

She passed by Elena's bedroom to go to her own. She peaked in and saw the perfectly neat room just the way Elena had left it. She wasn't sure if she had come back while she was at work to steal some clothes; she didn't dare to snoop in her room.

Samantha showered to get rid of all the flour she had on her body and began to decided what to wear. She decided on a red dress to show off her Blackhawk pride. Plus, she knew a few girls were going to be there so she had to dress up a little to keep up. She did her make up and left her hair natural before leaving the apartment to head towards Adam's, almost forgetting the treat she had promised him. The cost of the cab fare was a bit pricey since Adam didn't live near her, but it was well worth it.

When she arrived, the whole Blackhawks team was already there, along with their coach and a few others. She said hello to some of the teammates that she hadn't seen in a few months and had to slap their hands away from the box of treats she had for Adam. She knew where she was going to find him, and that was the kitchen where all the alcohol was.

"Sammy!" Adam shouted, seeming much happier than he was earlier in the day.

Elena turned around once she heard Samantha's name. Both of the girls stood there awkwardly as the men in the room began to shuffle out. Samantha placed the cupcakes on the kitchen table before approaching Elena on the other side of the table.

"Hi," she smiled, "haven't seen you in a while."

"I know," Elena laughed lightly. "I've missed you."

She sighed, "Then why haven't you called me back? I've called so many times this month. Were you trying to ignore me?"

"No! Of course not! It's just that...I didn't know what to say to you after I said those mean things." Elena explained.

"Well we can both agree that we both said some harsh things that didn't need to be said, right?" Samantha asked with a hopeful tone.

Elena nodded. "Definitely. I'm so sorry; I never meant any of those things that I said to you. I was just really jealous."

"I didn't either," Samantha said, pulling Elena into a hug. "Promise me we won't fight like teenage girls anymore?"

"There's no fun in that," Elena joked.

Samantha laughed. She finally had her best friend back and it only took a matter of seconds. She didn't understand why she was even nervous in the first place. It was Elena! Elena had suggested that they should put everything behind them and have fun for the night. They both had drinks and talked to some of the players. Samantha had yet to see Jon, but knew it was only a matter of time.

Patrick Kane was having fun with which ever girl he had bought for the party. Elena went off to use the rest room while Samantha talked to some of the wives and girlfriends of the players. She had missed some of them since they actually got along pretty well. Even the ones that weren't too fond of her congratulated her on the success of her business.

In the corner of her eye, she could see Patrick Sharp talking to Brent Seabrook. Samantha excused herself from the ladies before walking over to Sharp and Brent. She hugged Brent since he was one of the guys she hadn't seen in a few months. Brent excused himself to get another drink, leaving Sharp and Samantha alone.

"How are you holding up?" She asked, rubbing his arm in comfort. She couldn't imagine how upset he must be feeling about Adam being traded. Any true Blackhawks fan would know that they were the trouble makers of the group, and the best of friends.

He shrugged, "I'm hanging in there. Just trying to put a smile on my face and get over it since there's nothing we can do about it."

"Hey, can I get everyone's attention?" Adam shouted above the chatter. The noise level began to die down as the path began to clear out for everyone to see him. "I just want to thank everybody for coming to celebrate with me one last time. I had a lot of fun with you guys over the past few years and I'm never going to forget you guys. I'll see you guys next time on the ice when we Stars' beat you Blackhawks!"

There was laughter in the crowd as some of the players shoved Adam. "You Stars' are fuckin' going down!" Patrick Kane shouted, earning cheers from the whole team.

Adam rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I got my health, and my girl moving down with me. Nothing you can say is gonna bring me down." He said, putting his arm around Elena's shoulder and kissing her temple.

My girl moving down with me. Those words stung Samantha. She was staring at Elena, not being able to believe what she had just heard. She excused herself from Sharp and left her drink on the table before squeezing herself through the crowd and headed outside.

"Sam! Sam! Wait up!" Elena shouted, chasing after her. Samantha was on the verge of tears, leaning on a random car. Elena finally caught up to her and stood at the top of the steps. "I can explain."

"I-I can't believe you're moving all the way to Dallas with Adam! You've only been dating for like a month!"

Elena frowned as she walked down the steps. She stood in front of Samantha and grabbed her hand. "I know this seems really rushed, but Adam makes me so happy. If you would just sit with me and just listen, you'll see how much happier I am now."

"I know that I'm acting like a little kid, but I just got you back," she sighed.

Elena laughed, "You're going to do just fine without me. I'll come to the bakery tomorrow and I'll take you out to lunch. We'll even go to your favorite Chinese restaurant."

Samantha just nodded with a little smile. Elena was going to head back inside to give Samantha a few minutes alone after the bomb she had left on her. Samantha let out a little sigh and walked over to the steps to sit down. She wiped away her smudgy make up and began to feel stupid. She of all people should be happy for Elena since she knew that she didn't have a lot of luck with guys. Adam may be an idiot and immature, but he definitely was sweet.

Jon suddenly appeared and he sat down next to her. "Hi," he said, "you look nice."

She chuckled, "Thanks, you do too."

He licked his lips lightly before looking down at her. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm meeting up with Elena for lunch tomorrow and she's going to try and convince me how Adam's good for her." She chuckled, "what about you?"

"I'm definitely going to miss Burish, but I'm not going to miss my shit always being stolen," he smirked lightly. "You know, you and Elena remind me a lot of you and your sister sometimes."

"How?"

"Remember when you told me about that fight the two of you got into while you were in high school? She borrowed your favorite leather jacket and got mud all over it. You two didn't talk for two weeks," he laughed.

"Oh yeah, I remember that," she smiled. "I told you that story after you and Dave got into a stupid fight," she said, referring to his brother.

"Dave and I got into a stupid fight, and so did you and your sister. You and Elena just got over a stupid fight and in the end you learned that the whole thing was stupid," he explained. "Don't let another stupid fight happen between you guys tomorrow. I know you're mad, but you have to be happy for her."

Jon was right. What kind of best friend was she being if she didn't support Elena? She seemed genuinely happy, so why stop that?

"You always knew what to say when I was upset," she smiled.

"We were a pretty kick ass couple, weren't we? What happened to us?"

She bit her lip. "I don't know. We just couldn't keep up anymore, I guess." They both sat there quietly for a few moments after the brief and awkward conversation. "Could you do me a favor? Can you tell Elena that I'm leaving now and that I'll see her tomorrow?"

"How are you getting home?" He questioned, "It’s late."

She shrugged, "A cab."

He shook his head. "I'll take you home. You've been having a rough day."
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update within a week!

Thank you guys so much on your feedback! I love that you guys are loving the story! Keep up the usual 3 comments and I'll update soon!

Oh, and the next chapter is another flashback (: