Status: Active

Not Over You

neuf

"I'm really sorry," Jon sighed on the other end of the phone. "It completely slipped my mind."

"Don't worry, I didn't wait that long," she lied. She looked around the restaurant and could feel the sympathetic stares everybody was giving her. "You should go to bed. You have an early flight tomorrow."

"Sam, I-"

"Goodnight Jon," she said quickly, hanging up her cellphone.

She put her phone back into her purse and took out a five dollar bill to leave the server. She didn't actually order any food, but he did keep her company throughout the night. She quickly left the restaurant and decided to walk home. She could feel her eyes water up a little bit as she walked home. No one had ever stood her up before, and Jon was the last person she expected to ever do that to her.

Tonight was supposed to be special. They hadn't seen each other since almost two weeks before Christmas, and it was already the second of January. Jon was busy with games and flew back home for the holidays, which she had no issue with. He would be gone the very next day to fly to who knows where for games, and would be gone for almost a whole month, meaning he would miss her birthday.

They were supposed to celebrate an early birthday for her. She got dressed up in Jon's favorite outfit and even had Elena do her make up. Never had she felt so stupid before. Jon warned her that he would be gone a lot and she was perfectly fine with it because she knew that he loved his job so much. What she wasn't okay with, was the fact that he had forgotten about her.

She was strong and independent and constantly told herself how she wasn't going to cry in front of strangers. She repeatedly told herself how she didn't need Jon to make her happy since she was perfectly happy before she met him. She would never admit to herself that she was ten times happier with Jon in her life.

Later, when she arrived at her apartment, Elena was sitting at the kitchen table working. She was shocked to see Samantha home so early. "What happened?" Elena asked, putting her pen down to walk over to her friend who looked as if she was about to burst into tears.

"Jon forgot," Samantha frowned.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry," Elena apologized. "I could pretend to be Jon if you want."

She laughed lightly. "No, thanks. Not going to lie, I was expecting sex tonight."

Elena scrunched up her nose. "Yeah, let's leave that part to Jon. But how about I take you to dinner instead? There's no point in wasting a perfectly good outfit."

Samantha shook her head. "I think I'll turn in for the night instead. Besides, you're busy with work."

"Oh work can wait," Elena shrugged. "Give me five minutes and we'll go to that Korean barbecue place you love so much."

"I was supposed to meet Jon there," Samantha said as Elena walked off.

Elena froze for a second before turning around. "We'll get Chinese instead," she smiled, before walking into her room.

Samantha rolled her eyes but was thankful that Elena was doing this. She could use something to get her mind off of Jon for the moment. Even though she cared deeply for Jon, she wasn't going to let his mistake ruin her night.

When Elena came back, the girls left quickly since they were both hungry. Samantha's mood completely changed and she didn't think about Jon for the rest of the night. She enjoyed the delicious food and the great company Elena was giving her. Afterwards, they decided to go to a bar and get a few drinks.

By the time they got home, it was a lot later than they thought. Samantha hugged Elena and thanked her for a wonderful night before heading to bed. When she shut her bedroom door, she took out her cellphone from her purse and realized someone left her a voicemail. She held down the number 1 button on her phone so it could directly take her to the voicemail.

"Hey Sam, it's me," Jon sighed. "I don't know if you're ignoring me, but I've been knocking on the door for the past ten minutes and I think the neighbors are getting mad. Please answer the door. I have to leave in a few hours and I want to see you."

That message was from an hour ago and it was obvious that he was gone. She cursed to herself, upset that she missed a chance to see him before he left. She knew she should call him since he was leaving at five in the morning and that was only a few hours away. He needed his sleep. Sighing, she did the only thing she could do at the moment, and that was just to go to bed.

Image


Jon knocked on Samantha's door on a late Sunday night. He had just flown in from California and played a game against the Sharks. He had a little bag in his hands that held a little birthday present for her. Her birthday was two weeks ago, but he had been away for a game. After a while, no one answered the door. He was afraid that she looked through the peep hole and chose to ignore him since they had been fighting nonstop for the past month.

He knocked for the second time, and a few seconds later, she opened up the door. Her eyes lit up a bit when she saw Jon standing there with a boyish smile on his face. She instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. He was surprised at her gesture, but immediately hugged her back.

He loved seeing her happy. He loved seeing how much she had missed him.

"Do you want the present now or after the bad news?" He asked, cutting right to the chase, knowing how much she hated it when he took a long time to get to his point.

"Spit it out, Jon."

"Fuck," he grumbled, hoping she would take the present first. He set the bag on the table and began to tell the speech he spent hours working on. "You know that I care a lot about you, right?"

Her face instantly fell. "Are you breaking up with me?"

Jon sighed before slowly nodding his head. He knew she was too smart for him, so he wasn't surprised when she figured it out right away.

"Just hear me out first," he started. "What we have going on, is amazing and we have a lot of fun together."

"Then why break up with me?" She asked.

"Face it, were both too young. Hockey is getting in the way and your bakery needs you full time. People say that we actually have a chance at the cup this year and hockey needs my full attention. Besides," he paused, "I haven't been the best boyfriend lately."

"And you think I've always been the best girlfriend?" She scoffed before crossing her arms over her chest. "Is this really what you want, Jon? Or is it what Captain Toews wants?"

Jon glared down at her. "I hate it when you do that."

She rolled her eyes. At the moment, she wanted to not care if she was making him mad or not. Yet she found herself getting angry at herself for irritating Jon, when he was the one who wanted to break up with her.

She sighed to herself before looking up at Jon. "You know what? Just go home, Jon."

"Sam, are you-"

"I'm fine, Jon," she smiled. "Go home, okay?"

Jon stood in front of her, not sure if he could believe what she was saying. "You seem a little too okay with the break up."

She shrugged, "What are you going to do? If one person wants out, then you can't do anything about it."

He couldn't help but feel a hurt that she wasn't the least bit upset. A part of him felt like she was lying, but her actions were telling him else wise. Her hazel eyes stared into Jon's. Neither could believe that in a matter of seconds, they were done with.

"I guess, uh, I'll be going then," he mumbled. "Here," he handed her the present.

She lightly pushed it away. "I'm not your girlfriend anymore. I'm not going to accept your present."

"Take it as a present from a friend, then. I actually picked it out on my own and I spent a lot of time doing it. Here," Jon grabbed her hand and placed the bag in it. "Bye Sam."

"I'll see you around, Jon."

He gave her one last smile before walking out the door. He was happy that they broke up. Now neither of them felt like they were tied down and could focus on their careers. She worked very hard to get her bakery up from the ground and he didn't want to get in the way of it.

In reality, he wanted her to fight for him. He wanted to see that fierce personality that he grew to love. He didn't want her to let go so easily. He knew he couldn't have it both ways, but that didn't mean he still couldn't wish it.

On the other side of the door, Samantha began to open the present Jon had bought her. She opened up the box, and saw a beautiful tennis bracelet. She held the bracelet up to examine it and the diamonds shined brightly against the lights in her kitchen. She loved the bracelet and would wear it if she could.

She put the beautiful gift away back in the bag and walked to her bedroom. She opened up the jewelry box that used to belong to her grandmother, and placed the present in there since she didn't own a lot of jewelry. She quickly closed the lid before running her hand through her hair. She was only without Jon for a few minutes, and she could already feel herself growing back to her bitter ways.

At that point, she didn't know what hurt worse, the fact that Jon thought he could ease the break up with a present, the simple fact that he just wanted to break up, or the fact that she was falling for him, and he didn't even know about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that's basically the story of their breakup. They'll over the break up again, because Sam is just over dramatic like that.

But THANK YOU guys for all your love! I love every comment/superscription/recommendation you give me! You guys are truly the best readers ever, and I'm so thankful for you guys! <3

Please don't forget to leave your thoughts!