Status: active

Charlie Porter

Chapter 2

At the time of course I was going to be a gentleman. I was raised to be so I jogged up to her and handed it back to her. She smiled a smile that could melt any unsuspecting lad blessed to come into contact with her. I wouldn’t call it much of a blessing now.

“Why thank you kind sir and may I ask your name?” Her voice had a twang to it, instantly I begin to mentally guess which southern state she was from.

“You aren’t from around here huh?”

“Is my accent that noticeable?” She pretends to be embarrassed and already I can feel captivation beginning.

“I’d have to say so. More different from ours here in Oregon I should say. I mean technically if you think about it, everyone everywhere has an accent. “

“Well I’m from Texas. The name is Charlie, Charlie Porter.” She extended her hand to me and I shake it. Not knowing this was the beginning of one of the best and one of the worst relationships of my life. We begin walking back to the area she was playing in before the Frisbee got adventurous and took off. A younger girl was standing clearly waiting for Charlie’s return.

“There you are! I thought you got lost?” She also had the twang I could see they were sisters. There similarities were obvious.

“No I’ve made a friend so maybe you and mom will go home and let me be.” She waves her off and moves toward us.

“Hey there stranger, I’m Kat it’s nice to meet you.” She was adorable and reminded me of an older version of Lily. It made my heart ache for a second and I stumbled to introduce myself.
“People call me Mark around here.” She smiles and sticks her finger at me.

“I like him sister he’s got pizazz.”

“You know that from one statement?” Charlie asks her.

Soon Rusty and Rick join us, Rick clearly confused by my absence.

“There you are, I thought I lost you” Ricks says. I laughed as the words are familiar.

“Hey I just said that!” Kat yells.

“Well now that we are all here who’s down for getting to know each other?” I wanted to know everything I could about this mysterious girl.

Kat and Rusty took off to play Frisbee. They were having the time of their lives throwing fetching and laughing. Rick looked wistfully at them. I’m sure his thoughts are the same as mine. I put a hand on his shoulder to show him I understood. We find out that Charlie just moved here from Texas. Her reasons were vague mostly saying she wanted a change of scenery. Her mother and sister came up to get her settled. She was a year older than me already a high school graduate. She liked the schools around Oregon claiming she’s torn between Pacific University and Oregon State University. She planned to spend the months before the next enrollment figuring out which one was right for her. She loved nature and everything about it but wasn’t sure if she wanted to dedicate her whole life to it. Oregon State University has one of the biggest forestry programs. However she loved children and wanted to teach education as well. Pacific University has a great education program and its location is great for outdoor activities.

Funny college hasn’t crossed my mind in over a year. I used to be so gun hoe to get out of here. Now I am not so sure what I want to do with my life. I just don’t want to leave my mom. What will she do without me? I know I shouldn’t worry about things like that do what makes me happy. At least that what she always tell me but it’s hard. I know leaving home is part of growing up if Dad were around it would be different she would have someone. I continue listening to Charlie tell me about herself. Rick has forfeited the conversation to join Kat and Rusty. I know he misses Lily so much. He stays strong though. I am wrapped up in my thoughts until Charlie asks about me.
“So tell me about you Mr. Mark. Anything I should know?” I never liked talking about myself its always embarrassing.

“Uh well not really much to tell. I’m a senior in high school and it’s just me, my mom and Rusty.”

“That’s all you have to say?”

“For the most, yeah.” Charlie looked around.

“We have a mysterious one here folks.” I laughed appreciating her humor. She was far more mysterious than I. Her strawberry blonde hair glistened as the sun hit it. Her amber brown eyes glowed with intensity I have never seen before. Her skin, tan, was decorated with the occasional beauty mark, made up a package of sheer perfection. It was intimidating. I was usually good with girls but she, she was different. She was real. I was nervous.
“I run.” She tipped her head to the side clearly trying to figure me out. I wasn’t too complicated not until now that is.

“You run…is that the only information I get?”

“For my school, I am on the track team. If I place this year I’ll be up for a scholarship.”

“Ah I see well then place you must mister. I love jogging we could train together. That could be our thing.” Our thing huh…

“Right. I’d like that.” The sun started setting and I cursed Mother Nature. I didn’t want to interrupt Rick and Kat but when I turned they were laid out on the grass trying to catch their breath including Rusty. Charlie smiled at the sight and got up to brush herself off.

“Well I guess we start heading back. Come on Kat.” Kat hugs Rick who seems caught off guard by it but returns it eventually.

“It was nice meeting y’all” Rick says as he puts the leash on Rusty.

“Like wise. I’ll see you around sometime.” I nod in agreement as Kat and Charlie take off in the opposite direction of us. However our paths were intertwined no matter what direction we took.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)