I Could Use Somebody

One.

I woke up and looked at the clock. 12:30. Damn. Slept through school today. Oh well, I thought to myself as I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling. I laid there for about an hour thinking about stupid shit before I finally got up and decided to shower and eat something. That took about another hour. By the time I got dressed it was 3 o'clock which meant school was over. I grabbed a pen and paper and wrote “At the Curtis's. Be back later. Nicole,” then hung it on the fridge and left. After four years of living on the North side you would think I would know better than to walk alone. I guess during the day it was alright but walking alone at night is one of the worst things you could do.

I woke up and looked at the clock. 12:30. Damn. Slept through school today. Oh well, I thought to myself as I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling. I laid there for about an hour thinking about stupid shit before I finally got up and decided to shower and eat something. That took about another hour. By the time I got dressed it was 3 o'clock which meant school was over. I grabbed a pen and paper and wrote “At the Curtis's. Be back later. Nicole,” then hung it on the fridge and left. After four years of living on the North side you would think I would know better than to walk alone. I guess during the day it was alright but walking alone at night is one of the worst things you could do.

I got to the Curtis's and saw Johnny sitting on the porch by himself. I opened the gate and sat down next to him.

“Hi Jonnycake. How ya feelin?”

“Alright. I guess.”

A few weeks ago Johnny got jumped by a few kids, or as the rest of the guys call them “Soc's.” I don't like labeling people. Anyway, he hasn't been the same since that day. He's scared of everything.

“So where is everyone?” I

“Dunno” was all he said.

I nodded absentmindedly and just sat staring across the street at a stray dog digging through a trash can. It was quiet for a few minutes and then I heard a car driving down the alley behind the Curtis's house. The car stopped and then I heard doors open and close. I got up to see who it was when I heard someone scream “You need a hair cut greaser?” I sat back down not wanting anything to do with the fight that was going on, until I heard the word “Darry” being yelled. Johnny shot up and started running towards the alley and since I realized it was Ponyboy who “needed a hair cut” I followed Johnny. But instead of Johnny going to help Pony he just stopped and stared. I almost yelled at him to go get him but then I understood. Johnny was terrified of the “Soc's” right now. Hell, I didn't blame him. I saw the guy who was on top of Ponyboy pull out a knife.

“What do I do? What do we do?” I started panicking.

Johnny didn't say anything. He put the knife to his neck and without thinking I ran over and tried to tackle the guy off of Pony. I guess it worked because next thing I knew I was lying on the ground and the guy who was on top of Pony was scrambling to his feet. I propped myself up on my elbows, surprised that I scared them all off. I was proud of myself until I heard a bunch of footsteps and saw Two Bit, Darry, Steve and Soda running by. “Damn.” I mumbled as I got up. I went to dust myself off, but when I did I felt a hot liquid running down my arm. I looked down and saw that I was bleeding. I guess when I tackled the guy off of Pony somehow his knife caught my arm. Not paying attention to the guys fighting with the Soc's in the car, I started walking towards Pony when I felt a hand on my arm.

“Here.”

I turned around to see a shirtless Dallas Winston handing me the shirt that should be on his back. “Wrap this around your arm. Put pressure on it.”

I nodded my head, not knowing what else to say. “Here” was the first word he's said to me in over a year. Once the car was gone Soda came running back over to Pony. He whispered something to him but I couldn't hear it.

“Have you lost your god damn mind?” Darry was standing next to me, he looked pissed.

“What?” was the only response I could come up with.

“What? You don't ever pull something like that again, you understand?”

I rolled my eyes. “Jesus Christ Darry I'm not Ponyboy. Save all that parenting shit for him.”

I started walking away from Darry. I've known Darry my whole life. My brother went to school with him and they were really good friends. Ever since I moved over here Darry's been really protective of me. He kinda took over as my big brother. This time three years ago I was probably putting on a nice dress and getting ready to go to a beer blast with all of the other rich kids on the South side. But four years ago my life changed completely. I live on the North side now with my cousin. I walked back to the Curtis's and leaned against Two Bits car. Steve and Darry came over and started yelling at Pony, while Steve was trying to stop the blood from pouring out of his nose. They were arguing but I wasn't really listening. I was staring at Dally who was talking to Johnny.

“Hey Dal.” Steve finally gave up arguing with Pony.

Dally walked over to us and lit a cigarette.

“How ya been? I thought you were in the cooler?”

Dally leaned against a tree so he wasn't facing me. “I got out early man. Good behavior.”

Soda chimed in. “Me and Steve are taking Evie and Sandy to the game tonight. You should come, Dal. Bring Sylvia.”

I rolled my eyes and made a noise that sounded like I was disgusted. I didn't mean to do it. I mean, I was disgusted, but I wanted to keep that to myself. Sylvia was Dally's girlfriend. She was gross. I couldn't stand her. The thought of her being with him made me sick, but she was trash and her and Dally deserved each other, if you ask me.

“Nah. I think I'm gonna head on over to the movies tonight. Hunt some action.”

“Hunt some action?” Steve questioned him.

“Yeah hunt some action. Did I stutter or somethin'?”

Steve shook his head. “Naw, you didn't stutter. What happened to you and Sylvia?”

Dally fixed the necklace that he had on. They broke up! Sylvia had Dally's Christopher necklace and now he has it back which meant that, at least for now, they weren't together.

“Little broad was two timin' me again when I was in jail man. It's cool. Johnny, Pony, you wanna come with me tonight?”

Pony slapped me in the back. “Yeah! The three of us will come with you.”

I snapped my head to the right to look at him. “The three of us? I hope you mean you Johnny and Two Bit.”

“Nope!” Pony said. “Me, you, Johnny, and Dal. Just like old times.”

Ponyboy was the most oblivious person I knew. I started shaking my head. “Nah I gotta do something tonight I can't make it...” I felt a hand slap me on the back again.

“Aw come on! Just like old times, Nicole! Ya'll go to the movies and I'll meet you there.”

Two Bit knew that neither me or Dally really wanted to be near each other. He just liked to fuck with people. I pushed him off of me. “No asshole, I have things to do.”

Johnny spoke up. “Come on. Just come.” It was always hard to say no to Johnny. He never asked for anything. So him asking me to come to the movies with him Pony and Dal was a big deal.

Dally scratched the back of his head. “Come on man. You heard her. She has things to do.”

I nodded my head. “Yeah, I'm really busy.” Johnny put his head down and kicked a can.

“Yeah, yeah.” I sighed. “I guess I can come for a little.” Johnny looked up and smiled and I heard Dally let out a long sigh and say "Jesus Christ." “I'll meet you here at 7.” He closed the gate and walked away.