I Could Use Somebody

Seven.

“Are you two eating here?” Darry asked as he dropped the plate of chicken down on the table. “If it's alright with you.” I sat down next to Soda and Dally sat across from me.

“I heard you got hauled in today Dal. What for?” Even Soda's voice sounded like shit. He probably hasn't slept since Pony and Johnny went missing. “Got questioned about the dead Soc.” Soda hesitated. “Well did you have something to do with it?” Dally's head shot up and he started to raise his voice. “No, I didn't have nothin' to do with it.” I kicked him under the table. Soda didn't need anyone yelling at him right now. It was quiet for a few seconds until Darry sat down at the table and handed me and Dally plates.

“Was that all they wanted to know? Just if you killed the dead Soc?” Dally nodded his head then started putting food on his plate. “Yeah, that's it.” I figured that was a lie but I let it go for now.

We ate in silence until Two Bit walked in the door. “Hey Nicole, heard ya got in a fight earlier. I can officially call you a greaser now.” I looked at Darry the second Two Bit said that I got in a fight. I knew Darry would be pissed. “You what?” I started playing with the mashed potatoes on my plate. “It wasn't really a fight. Just an argument.” Two Bit laughed, taking a drink of his beer. “Yeah right, I heard you had her pinned.” Darry stood up. “I need to talk to you.”

He walked into the living room and for my own good I got up and followed him, walking past Two Bit. “Idiot.” I could hear him laughing as I sat down on the couch. “You really got in a fight?” I shook my head, trying to defend myself. “I didn't start it, Darry I swear.” He rolled his eyes. “Who was it?” I talked myself out of lying to him because I knew he would figure out sooner or later and Darry hated people who lied.

“Sylvia, but it's not like that...” He cut me off. “On no. Don't do this again.” He scratched the back of his head, then started talking again. “You don't still like Dally, do you?” I shrugged my shoulders. “I'll answer that for you. You don't like him. Do you remember what happened before?” I knew that Darry didn't like me being with Dallas, but his last comment threw me off guard. “What happened before? I do remember what happened before.” Darry started to raise his voice, probably because I started to raise mine. “He cheated on you, Nicole. It was like you were dead for a while. You were miserable.” I stood up. “He didn't cheat on me. Do you not remember telling me what you guys did?” Darry shook his head. “We did it for your own good.” We were both yelling at each other now, which is probably why Dally, Two Bit and Soda came out of the kitchen. “My own good? You were the one who made me miserable. Not Dally. You guys were the ones who lied to me.” I saw Darry's eyes shoot over to look at Dallas. He lowered his voice. “And look at you now. You're fine. It was for your own good.” I threw my hands in the air and I could feel the tears welling up in the corner of my eyes. “And you knew what was good for me? You had no idea how I felt about that boy.” I pointed at Dally, but I couldn't look at him. I started walking towards the door. “And you wonder why Pony ran away.”

I walked out and slammed the door. It wasn't until I was at the end of the driveway that I realized what I had just said. That was a low blow and I already felt shitty about saying it. “And you wonder why Pony ran away.” I said to myself as I kicked a rock. I got halfway down the road when I heard the door open and slam shut. I turned around and saw Dally walking towards me.

He threw his cigarette on the ground, and without saying anything he wrapped his arms around my waist. I started crying, mainly because I was still kicking myself in the ass for what I said to Darry. He pulled his head away and just stared at me for a second. “Soda too?” I knew what he meant. “Soda, Darry, Steve and my cousin.” I could tell how hurt he was, even if he tried not to show it.
“I swear. Every person I get close to fucks me over.” That was kinda like salt in an open wound, since I knew I was one of those people. I didn't say anything and Dally kept going. “The gang is the closest thing to family that I got and they lied to you so that we wouldn't be together anymore.” He lit a cigarette, then started laughing. “That ain't a good feeling.” I opened my mouth to say something, but I felt his hands grab my face and pull it towards his. Whatever I was going to say could wait. He kissed me quickly and before I could even open my eyes he was pulling me in the other direction. “Where are we going?” I choked out. “To Buck's to get the car. We're gonna go check on Johnny and Pony.”