‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Do you want me here?"

Busy was happy to see Gerard when she woke up. Thora looked at him funnily, and I knew why. She's more on my side than Gerard's; she a mommy's girl, while Busy is a daddy's girl. If someone upsets me, Thora won't talk to them. I was extremely worried when she didn't go to Gerard when she got up.

"Baby Bear," he cooed to her, "C'mere."

Thora stood by the entry of the kitchen, looking at him and then me. I went over and picked her up, "Didn't you miss daddy, baby?"

Thora shook her head and turned away from Gerard. He in turn gave me a look; he knew exactly why Thora wouldn't go to him. We know out kids as well as we know each other.

Gerard sighed, tapping her shoulder, "I'm here, Baby Bear. Me and mama are good now."

Thora looked up and shook her head at him. I sighed, "Thora, honey, just hug daddy. He's missed you."

Thora let me go, and looked at Gerard fully. He outstretched his arms and she gladly went to him. He smiled happily as she hugged him, "I miss you, daddy."

"I missed you, too, baby." He hugged her tightly, kissing the side of her head, "You wanna come to Uncle Mikey's with me?"

She nodded, "Yes."

"Let mama dress you and I'll pick you up after I drop Biz off at school."

Thora hummed, "'Kay."

Gerard handed her back to me, "I'll be back."

"Alright." I replied.

"Biz, are you ready?" He called out to her.

Busy in with her backpack, "Uh-huh, I'm ready."

Gerard took her hand, "Let's go, then."

"Wait!" She told him, pulled her hand away, "I got to kiss mama bye first!"

I laughed and leaned down with Thora, "I love you, B, have fun at school."

I kissed Busy's cheek, and Thora did the same. Busy giggled, "I'll see you later, mama. See you at school, Bear."

Busy took Gerard's hand again and the two left. I carried Thora to her room to change her; she sat on her bed and kicked her legs, "Mama, you come with us?"

"Not today, baby. Mama's gotta finish up stuff for her store."

Thora's eyes looked at me, "You pick me and B up?"

"Daddy's gonna pick you up," I returned to her, with fresh clothes in hand, "And then you're gonna play with Uncle Mikey and then you'll come home and tell me about your day." I smiled at her.

Thora frowned at me as I changed her, "O-K."

"Don't be sad, Thora," I began to change her clothes, "I want you to smile for me, please?"

Thora smiled reluctantly, "I don't wan'a!"

I laughed, kissing her cheeks, "Yes you do!"

Thora smiled, giggling, "Ugh! Mama!"

"I love you, Thora."

"Love you, mama."


Thora left with Gerard, happily. She had kissed me goodbye and left with him. Gerard didn't say much, he just waved and took Thora.

The rest of the afternoon, I got some work done; layouts of the building I wanted to lease. Most of the things I had put off, I did. I wanted to busy myself to keep those angry thoughts about Gerard and Eliza away.

Still, those thoughts snuck up on me and I couldn't help but to tear up.

By the time Gerard returned with the girls, I cooking dinner for them. I had finished most of my plans and remembered to cook. I heard the girls rush in, dropping their bags by the door and calling for me.

"Mama!" They both called.

"I'm in the kitchen." I called back.

Busy reached the kitchen first, and tackled my waist into a hug. I laughed softly, hugging her back; Thora caught my leg, "I missed you."

I kissed the top of their heads, "I missed you two, too."

Gerard cleared his throat as he walked in, causing me to stand and look over at him; "Frank and Frances are coming home." He said, "I'm just giving you a heads up."

"Uh, okay." I murmured, "Go wash up, the foods almost ready."

The girls took off again, running to the bathroom. Gerard stood there for a moment, "Do you want me to go?"

I blinked, "You don't have to."

"But I should." He stated.

"No-- I mean, the girls want you here."

"Do you want me here?" He asked with a raised brow.

I was honest; "Not particularly, no."

He frowned, "Then I'll go."

I shook my head, "Stay for the girls."

Gerard ran a hand through his hand, exhaling, "I'm gonna say bye to them. I'll see you later, October."

I knew then there was no point in asking him to stay. He wouldn't because I didn't want him to stay. I don't know which hurt me; wanting him to go or the fact he chose to leave.

•••

It was the following morning that Frank and Fran arrived. They had come over with Gerard; Frank and Gerard fed the girls breakfast while Fran sat on the couch watching me pick up some toys.

Fran was watching me intently, my face mostly. She knew something was up. "What's going on?" She asked bluntly.

"Me and Gerard." I mumbled, sitting on the cushioned foot stool at the end of the couch.

"What now?" She asked with a raised brow.

"I'll explain later." I sighed, "It's so much and it gives me a headache."

Fran frowned, her hand on her protruding belly, "Did he do something stupid?"

"When doesn't he do something stupid?" I muttered sarcastically.

She looked back toward the kitchen and then at me, "Did he hurt you?"

The question alone made me tear up. I thought about it all; it rushed over my mind like a tidal wave. I let out a strangled sob, and quickly wiped my eyes.

Fran sat up and took hold of my arm and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her, minding her belly, and cried against her shoulder. She pat my back; "October, it's alright, hon. Don't cry."

I sniffed up my tears and pulled back a bit; her hands held my forearms gently, "He's such a jerk." I murmured, "I want to bash his head in."

"What did he do?"

I wiped my eyes again, "Don't tell Frank, alright? Don't bring it up around Gerard either."

Fran nodded, "I won't."

I swallowed the small lump in my throat, "He slept with Eliza."

Her eyes went wide, "What?"

"Yeah; they've been talking for the past month and a half. He kept it from me."

Fran narrowed her eyes, "I'm gonna kill him." She growled.

I shook my head, "Please, Frances, don't get into it. I know that you care, but I don't want to fight anymore."

She gave another nod, sighing after, "I understand. But, what're you going to do about this?"

"I'm not sure. I don't want to divorce him; I love Gerard so much."

"Even so, he should not have done that," she rubbed my forearm with her opened palm, "Are you two taking a break?"

I nodded, "We are. We still need to talk."

Fran shook her head again in disbelief, "I really want to strangle him."

"You and me both."

She gave me a small smile, "You know, if you need anything, Frank and I will be there."

"I know, thanks, Fran."

She gave me another hug, "No problem, lovely."