‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Don't pick up his bad habits."

Busy sat on the couch with her arms crossed and Thora had come into the house, dropped her lunch bag and ran to play with Happy. Gerard and I sat on the couch, with Busy, and waited a moment. The house filled with Thora laughing and giggling while she chased after Happy and landed on the floor, laughing still.

Gerard opened his mouth, looking at Busy, "Becky isn't right." He said quickly.

"But she said--"

I cut her off, "Thora is your sister."

"But not my real sister."

Gerard's fist balled, "Why did she tell you that?"

"Because," Busy sat back, arms crossed still, "Because... It's true."

"What did she say?" I asked her.

"She says that her sister says that you bought Thora."

I shut my eyes, sighing. Gerard shifted; "No one bought Thora."

"How come she isn't my real sister?"

I looked at her now; her bottom lip trembled, "Thora is your real sister. She's adopted, Biz. And, just because she's adopted, doesn't mean she isn't your real sister."

"Becky says we aren't blood!"

"That Becky girl doesn't know what she's talking about," I said quickly, "And just because Thora isn't your blood sister, does not mean she's not your real sister."

"What's that mean?" Her arms fell to her sides.

Gerard sighed, rubbing his hands along his face. "Uh, it means that... That, uh, Thora's got a different mommy and daddy."

"Who are they?"

"They're some people who couldn't take care of her the way me and mommy can." He explained. "We helped. We wanted Thora."

"More than me?"

"No," I put my arm around her, "We wanted her because we had you and we wanted to give you a little sister."

Busy exhaled, "Does her mommy and daddy miss her?"

"I don't know," I told her, "But, they are happy that we have her."

Just then, Happy came running in with Thora behind him, squealing. She toppled over, laughing hysterically, "Happy chase his tail!"

I smiled, Gerard stood and picked her up, "You're gonna break your leg, kid."

She giggled, "Not-uh!"

"Be careful." He set her down.

Thora panted and then sat on the floor; she didn't seem that all concerned about what Busy had revealed early on. All she wanted to do was play. "Biz, come play with me!"

Busy looked at me, "Her mommy won't take her?"

I shook my head, "No, Biz."

She sighed again, "Promise?"

I kissed her forehead, "I promise. She's always gonna be your sister."

Busy got up, my arm slipped from around her. The girls went off towards the bedrooms with Happy following. Once they had gone into one of their rooms, I fell back against the couch, rubbing my temples. Gerard sat closer to me, "That wasn't as bad as I expected."

"Yeah, but it still was an ordeal."

"It's over."

"God, are we going to have to talk to her teacher?"

"No," Gerard shook his head, "Biz is tough. I'm sure she'll tell that girl off for talking about Thora."

I laughed, "I hope so. She's got a sassy mouth."

"Like me."

"Yeah, but a lot more sassy... She'll set her straight."

Gerard chuckled, "I hope she doesn't beat her up."

"That's just what I need." I mumbled.

"Busy'll be fine."

"I hope so."


The following morning, I took Busy to school; she hadn't of asked about the previous day at all. Gerard and Thora were still asleep when we got up and left; Busy sat in the back, humming along to the radio. When we got to her school, I looked back at her, "Biz."

She looked at me, "Yeah?"

"If that girl says anything else," I thought for a moment, "Just... Y'know, tell her that you don't care. Because, you don't care that Thora is adopted, do you?"

Busy shook her head.

"You understand what it means, don't you?"

"Yep." Busy smiled. "I don't care."

I smiled back at her, "Good. Be good, don't worry about those kids say."

"I won't."

I got out the car, holding her hand, and leading her towards her class. There wasn't many kids around, I knelt to her and kissed her cheek, "Have a good day."

She nodded, "I will."

I looked at her a moment, watching her go and talk to her friends. I prayed, mentally, that she'd do alright. I could only hope for the best.

I returned home, hearing Gerard in the kitchen, on the phone. Thora was sitting at the table, rubbing her eyes. "Good morning."

She looked at me, "Daddy says what's so good about it."

I laughed softly, "Don't pick up his bad habits."

She tilted her head, "What's that mean?"

"It mean, don't be so grumpy in the morning." I kissed her head, and went over to Gerard.

He was speaking to Ray, something about going over some new songs. I didn't bother him as I made breakfast for Thora and us. He sat down, still talking when I had finished and served them.

"Daddy talks a lot," Thora murmured, "All the time."

"I know," I whispered.

Gerard cut his eyes at me, rolling his eyes at me. I stuck my tongue out at him and then ate, helping Thora too.

By the afternoon, he had gone to see Ray, so me and Thora went over to visit Frances and baby Anthony. Thora was happy to watch him sleep, she played with his stuffed toys while we talked on the couch.

I had begun to tell Fran about the whole incident with Busy. She had frowned; "Kids are so cruel."

"Yeah, I know," I shook my head, sipping at the decaf coffee she ha made. "I told her not to worry about it--"

I was cut off by my phone ringing. I felt my pockets, "It's probably the store."

Fran gave a nod and stood, "Thora, want a snack?"

"Yes," Thora hopped up and followed after Fran to the kitchen.

I grabbed my phone and noticed it was Gerard. I answered it; "Hey."

"Guess where I am." He didn't sound amused.

"Where?" I asked curiously, confused.

"Busy's school. She got into a fight."

I sat up, "What?"

"She bit a girl." He muttered. "I came home, the phone was ringing, and they told me that I needed to come and get her. I thought she was sick."

"Is she okay?"

"She hit her head, and she's got a bump, but she'll be fine."

I stood, "I'm coming--"

"October, I got it, it's okay."

"She's not too hurt, is she?"

"No, no. She's dirty... She's got sand all over her."

"Stop talking about me!" I heard Busy cry in the background.

"I'm coming." I muttered.

"I'm gonna talk to the principal." He sighed.

"I'm still coming, I have to..." I trailed, "Thora's not going to school today."

"Why not?" Thora asked as she skipped in.

"Thora, sit down with your cookie." I told her. "I'm coming down there." I said to Gerard.

"Alright." He exhaled again.

I hung up, seeing Fran look at me with concern, "What's wrong?"

"Busy got into a fight and bumped her head."

Fran smiled, "That girl."

"You don't mind watching Thora?"

"Frank should be here soon," she sat, "We'll be fine."

"Thank you." I went over to Thora, sitting her on the couch, "I'll be back. You be a good girl for auntie Fran and Uncle Frankie."

Thora nodded, nibbling on her cookie, "'Kay."

I kissed her forehead, "I love you."

"Love you, mama."

I thanked Fran again before I hurried out of her door and to my car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Busy the Bad Ass