‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"You're bad ass."

The girls napped in Busy's room with Happy, while Gerard and I were in the living room. I laid my head in his lap, letting him finger my scalp and hair. I thought about the day and looked up at him, rolling onto my back; "What did you tell Busy?"

He looked down at me, "What do you mean?"

"She said that you told her she could beat up that girl?" I questioned.

He smiled, faintly, "I told her that if anyone hurt her she could hurt them back."

"That's great." I laughed.

Gerard rubbed my shoulder now, "That's how I taught Mikey. That's how I'm gonna teach our kids. They can't let people walk all over them, y'know."

"I know." I licked over my lips, "I don't want them to go through what we went through, Gee."

His hand ran down my bicep and rubbed there, "Me either. I'd hate for them to think like we did... Thinking that they're hopeless and useless."

"Do you think that changing schools is a good or bad thing?"

"I don't know... They're just kids, not high schoolers," he thought out loud, "I think that they should stay in that school."

"You're right." I rubbed my forehead, "I just... I want to protect her."

"Yeah, but Biz is a big girl," Gerard smiled, "She's a bad ass, October. Even though she's 6, she can handle herself."

"She's got a temper problem." I pointed out with a small laugh.

"I've noticed." He squeezed my arm gently, "She can handle it; she can handle anything."

I bit at my lip and gave a nod, thinking, "I love her."

"I love her too."

"I'll talk to her when she gets up... During her bath."


When Busy got up, the swelling on her bump went down some. She didn't say anything, she just came into the living room and told me she wanted a bath.

"I'll go get ice cream." Gerard said as we got up.

I took Busy's hand and led her to the bathroom. She undressed as I filled the tub and then helped her in. She tugged her pigtails out and shook the sand and dirt from her hair. "Are you mad at me?" She asked.

"No," I sat on the edge of the tub, "I'm not mad at you, B. I know you were just protecting Thora."

"Those girls made me mad," she muttered, "Daddy said if she hit me I can hit her back."

"He told me," I handed her a wash cloth, "Wash your face, babe."

"I'm going to leave school?"

"No. Do you want to?"

She shook her head, "Penelope is my best friend and she goes there. If I leave I can't see her no more."

I smiled, "You can go back after your suspension."

"Do I have to say sorry to Becky?"

"Unfortunately." I sighed, "But you don't have to mean it."

Busy giggled, "Good."

"Pretend like you mean it, okay? And, don't hit anyone," I told her, "Unless they really hurt you."

"I won't."

"Did Becky get in trouble?"

Busy shrugged, "Her mommy picked her up."

"If she bothers you again, tell her that I'll beat her mom up."

Busy laughed, "Will you?"

"We'll see." I winked at her.

After Busy's bath, I took her to her room to dress. Thora woke up just as I began to brush Busy's hair; "B, are you okay?"

Busy hummed, "Yeah."

Thora got up and came over to the vanity, and looked at their collective reflections; "Youse gotta bump."

Busy touched the bump on her forehead, "I know. It'll go away."

"How come you got in a fight?"

Busy looked up at me and I looked at them, "Baby, Biz was just defending herself against someone who was mean."

Thora frowned, "Did it hurt?"

Busy shrugged and looked back at her, "I don't remember."

"Does it hurt now?"

"Nope."

"Can I touch it?" Thora giggled.

Busy nodded, I let her damp hair go and she moved her head towards Thora's hand. Thora touched it and grimaced, "Ouch! How'd it happen?"

"I fell." Busy answered.

"Daddy said there's ice cream," Thora said after. "I want ice cream."

"He'll be back soon." I told her as I finished braiding Busy's hair.

"Daddy's a slow poke. He's a turtle!" Thora exasperated dramatically.

I laughed, "Go wait for him in the living room."

The two of them hurried off to the living room while I cleaned up Busy's clothes and straightened out her bed. I heard Gerard come in as I left the room; Thora had already rushed to him, "Ice cream?"

Gerard laughed, "I got ice cream, calm down."

All of us went into the kitchen, where Gerard began to give out small bowls and fill them with chocolate ice cream. Thora frowned, standing beside him as he scooped ice cream, "You know I don't like chocolate, daddy." She crossed her arms.

"Don't be rude." Busy told her.

The two of them glared at each other. Gerard shook his head, while I touched Busy's arm; "Daddy's got a surprise." I told her.

"I know you don't like chocolate, Baby," Gerard picked her up, setting her on the counter, "I got your favorite, just like I got B her favorite."

Thora grinned, "Youse got me strawberry?"

Gerard nodded, showing her the small tub of strawberry ice cream, "With the bits of strawberry like you like."

Thora clapped her hands, "Thank you!"

Gerard kissed her cheek and filled her bowl, "You're welcome. Don't eat it too fast, your brain will freeze." He set her down and watched her come and sit with me.

"Daddy's the best." Thora said as she ate some ice cream.

"I know I am." Gerard sat across from me and next to Busy. "Do you feel better, B?"

"Yeah." Busy answered. "Are you mad at me?"

"No." Gerard patted her back, "You're bad ass."

Busy laughed while I rolled my eyes; "Like I said, don't pick up his bad habits."

•••

The next few days went by swiftly. Busy's little bump had gone down and she spent most of her time with me at the store or visiting with Fran and Frank. Frank kept trying to teach her how to fight, which I put a stop to.

"I'm giving her basic training," Frank grinned at me, "I have to train someone to see if it works."

"Wait until your son is grown up." I told her.

"That's years from now." He looked at Busy, "Besides, B can handle it; right, Biz?"

Busy shrugged, then looked at me, "I don't like to fight."

I went and hugged her, "Good girl. Tell uncle Frank to can it."

Frank frowned at me, "Hair pulling isn't gonna help her out in a few years."

"Maybe I'll pack her a gun, Frank." I smirked at him, "Play, don't teach her to fight, she isn't Mike Tyson."

"Frieda Foreman." He grinned again.

I patted Busy's arm, "Don't listen to Frankie. He isn't all there all the time."

Busy laughed and Frank narrowed his eyes at me; "You're so mean."

"It's true." I patted Frank's arm, "Now, play."

I left the alone in Frank's equipment room; it had more toys and games than equipment. I returned to the living room with Fran, who was rocking Anthony back to sleep. He was fussy and crying loudly, but he calmed down some.

"How is he?" I asked her.

She cradled him, "He's alright. He's a little bratty like Frank," she smiled, "Linda showed me home movies of Frank when he was child. He was a brat."

I laughed softly, "I bet. He's trying to teach Busy how to fight."

"Figures," she scoffed, "He's dying for our son to be a man. He's only a month and a half old."

"Frank's just excited," we both sat down, "He can't wait for all that stuff."

Fran smiled, "I know. Me either."

"It'll go by so fast," I told her, "Before you know it, you'll be picking up your kid from school after being in a fight."

She rolled her eyes, "Oh, I bet."
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler.
I hate myself about it; I am not clever and clever writing is getting the best of me.

Thanks for reading, regardless
:) - You're all amazing