‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Jittery."

It was a Monday when Busy was able to return to school. She wasn't the least bit worried, but I was. I was worried about her fighting again, or getting teased.

That morning, I woke up to Busy shaking me; "Mama, it's 7."

I exhaled, "Okay, I'm up."

"Can I have cereal?"

"Yeah, I'll be there in a sec."

Busy left the bedroom and I fell back against the pillows. Gerard rolled over, "I miss her being suspended."

"Why?" I asked him.

"We got to sleep in until at least 9."

I laughed softly and got up, "Shut up."

He let out a yawn and shut his eyes. I left the room and headed to the kitchen; I heard the TV on, cartoons playing, and saw Thora sitting on the floor with Happy; "You're up too?"

She nodded without looking at me and I shook my head. I entered the kitchen; Busy was sitting at the table, rubbing her eyes and yawning. I grabbed the bowls and cereal and then called to Thora to come eat. She came in; hair wild and her pajamas wrapped funnily, and messily, around her body. She climbed into a chair and the two began to eat.

They finished awhile later; Thora took off to watch cartoons and Busy went to brush her teeth and get ready for school. I returned to my bedroom; Gerard was up and getting ready to shower; "Thora up?" He asked.

"Yeah, but she's so damn engrossed in cartoons, it'll be hard to play with her later."

Gerard chuckled, "I can shower."

The two of us went into the bathroom, where I brushed my teeth and he showered. After, I went into the bedroom and changed, combed my hair back and slipped my shoes on. I began to make the bed, feeling some nervousness when I looked at the clock; it was close to eight.

Gerard came out the bathroom, after I had finished the bed and began to pace and picked up my car keys. He looked at me, drying his hair with a small towel, while a larger was wrapped around his waist. "What's up with you?"

"Jittery." I said shortly.

"Do you want me to take her?" Gerard asked as I fiddled with my car keys.

"No... No, I want to." I mumbled to him.

Gerard smiled at me, "What're you nervous about?"

"You know. She's my baby," I began, "I don't want her to fight or to be made fun of."

"She's 6, October," he tugged my arm, "Kids forget stupid stuff like that. Kids fight all the time and then they're friends again."

I bit at my lip, "I know what you mean."

Gerard hugged me, the water from his hair splashed my face; "Stop worrying and take her to school."

I giggled, wiping my face and then kissed his cheek, "Thanks."

He went to the dresser and began to get some clothes. Busy came into the room, "Mama, I need help with my shoes."

I followed her out of the room and to the living room. Thora was now playing with her toys, the TV only made background noise. I helped Busy put her shoes on and then knelt next to Thora, "Tell Daddy to give you a bath."

She huffed, "I'm playin' now."

"Too bad." I said in a no nonsense tone of voice.

She and I looked at each other until her cheeks widened in a grin, "Okay."

Thora was too funny at times. She hopped up and went off to our bedroom. I turned back to Busy; "Are you ready?" She nodded; "Are you nervous?"

"No," she said flatly. "I miss my friends."

I kissed her cheek, "I bet they miss you too. C'mon, lets go."


I walked Busy to her classroom, she held my hand and spotted her friends. She let go, "Bye mama."

"Wait, Biz," I took her arm gently, "No fighting, alright? If someone bothers you, just walk away."

"I will."

I kissed the crown of her head, "Have a good day."

She waved and hurried off to her friends. The little group of girls welcomed her back, tugging her towards the playground. I exhaled happily and then left, feeling better about it all.


I visited with Fran after checking in the store; Gerard was over there with Frank, after dropping Thora off. Fran and I sat and drank tea, while Frank took care of baby Anthony.

"I love that little boy, but it's good to have my quiet time." Fran smiled upon hearing Anthony cry because of something Frank did.

I laughed softly; "How sure are you that he didn't drop Anthony?"

"Frankie would've rushed in here." She dismissed it with a small giggle, "He's gotten use to little surprises, y'know. He's a great daddy."

"He is."

"So, what's happening with the Mighty Busy?"

I smiled, "There hasn't been a phone call yet."

"Was she happy to return?"

"Yeah, I was a nervous wreck about it."

"You need to relax some, October. Stop worryin'. Be free."

I shook my head, giggling too, "I'm trying, give me some time."

Fran looked me over a moment, "So, you knocked up now?"

I laughed and rolled my eyes after, "I don't know."

"You can tell me." She enticed.

"I haven't even thought about it the last week and a half. Gerard and I hadn't done anything, we've been busy."

"Maybe it's a sign."

"A sign?"

"You should wait this all out."

I frowned mockingly, "But I want a baby now."

She was quiet for a second and then exhaled, "I think it'll happen soon, honey."

I raised a brow, "Are you psychic?"

She smiled, "Nope, but I get these feelings."

"I hope you're right." I muttered.

"I just want you guys to be happy. No more drama."

"There is no drama."

"Exactly. Keep on with a winning streak!"

The both of laughed; she doesn't know how badly I hoped it'd be smooth sailing for now on.