‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Choose now."

Busy ate her pancakes with Frank, and we all seemed to sit quietly. Busy did all the talking; she really wanted to talk to Mikey. I don't know why, but she did.

She waved to him from her seat when Frank went to the bathroom. Mikey gave her a confused look, then he glanced at me. I just shrugged, Busy smiled, "How come you no talk?" She asked him.

Mikey shrugged, "I don't know."

"You like me?"

I giggled softly, Mikey laughed too, "Yeah, Busy, I like you."

"I like you too! You look sad..." She observed quietly and looked at me, "Is he sad?"

I tweaked my mouth, "Are you sad, Mikey?"

He chuckled, "I'm tired. Not sad."

"We go home, you nap with me?" She asked him.

Mikey smiled, "We'll see."

Busy smiled and nodded. When Frank returned, Busy hopped in his lap, "You nap with me and Mikey, 'kay Frankie?"

Frank laughed, "Well, what about you come to the house we're renting, tonight? Your mommy has a date."

I raised my brow, "What?"

Frank smiled, "Jon called me, he wanted your number to ask you out. I told him you'd say yes."

I shook my head, Ray did as well, "Frank, man, you're crazy."

"Yeah, you totally are." I added, "I don't want to go on a date."

"Don't you like him?" Frank asked.

"Mommy, you no like Jon?" Busy asked too.

I chewed at the inside of my lip, "He was nice... I mean, I don't want--"

I stopped speaking when Gerard came back to the table, "You guys finished? We got to go." His voice was hard.

"Yeah," I said, "Me and Biz can walk, my boutique is right down the block."

Frank frowned, "Why are you always trying to get away from us?"

I sighed, "We're in public."

"Just come with us." Ray smiled, "Biz, you wanna hang out with us?"

Busy nodded, "Yes! Please mama?" Busy hopped in my lap.

Her funny little grin made my heart melt, "Ugh, I can never say no to you, baby doll."

"I need to go to the bathroom." She said after me.

I shook my head, "C'mon, I'll change you."

I moved to leave, but Frank caught me arm; Ray, Mikey and Gerard got up and began to leave, and to pay, "October, please? I hate how much you're pushing us away." He whispered.

"I'm sorry Frank." I replied as I got up and took Busy's hand.

•••

Back in Gerard's car, we were all quiet, but the radio was on. There was tension; thank God that bitch wasn't in the car. Just thinking about her made my blood boil.

I was happy once we got back to my house, but then my cell began to ring, knocking me off my sense of happiness. I saw an unfamiliar number; "Hello?" I answered quizzically.

"Hey... October?" The voice was soft, but familiar, "This is Jon."

The car parked and I got out, "Hey Jon. What's up?"

"I'm sure Frank told you... I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight? There's this theatre playing old horror movies."

I stood by the car a moment as everyone got out and I took Busy's hand, "By Gorman's?" I asked.

"Yeah... I saw a flyer and I was thinking..."

Jon seemed so shy.

"Sure, I'd love to." I was totally oblivious as I walked into the house and everyone made themselves at home.

But Gerard. He kept staring at me.

"Cool!" He sounded excited, "Sorry," we both chuckled, "So, uh, I'll pick you up at 7?"

I nodded, "Yeah, sure.

We hung up a moment later. The past couple of hours swirled inside my head. As I calmed down, Gerard stared at me in the foyer of my home.

"Why are you here?" I asked softly, "Don't you have to get to your girlfriend's and play house?"

Gerard looked at me angrily, "We need to talk. Really talk, this sarcastic shit needs to stop."

I rolled my eyes, "Talk about what?"

He snarled, grabbed my arm and forced me to my room. He shoved me inside, closed my door and started towards me. I backed up, "What, are you gonna try and fuck me again?"

"Shut up and let me talk!" He growled at me.

"Then talk!"

"I think you lied to me about not talking bad about me in front of Busy." He crossed angrily.

"What?" I furrowed my brows, "I never talked about you. Never ever."

"Why doesn't she want me to be her dad, then?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, Gerard, really. I never taught her to hate." I shook my head, "But what was this shit about you saying you didn't want to be her dad?" I felt anger rise in me as that moment played in my head.

He said those words that I didn't want him to ever say.

"I can't believe you actually fuckin' said that to her! She's 2 years old!"

"I was mad." Gerard said softly.

I waved my hand off in the air, "I'm so sick of you. I don't want you to come around anymore."

"What the hell do you expect me to do? She don't want me!"

"You don't make an effort! You and your floozy girlfriend just bombard her with the truth. You need to play and talk to her, she's a little girl; she doesn't know any better."

"You won't even give me a chance!" He countered.

"Look at Frank! He's not in here with me, he's with Busy, talking and playing with her, like a FATHER should!" 

Gerard stepped back, not saying a word.

"You know what, Gerard, I hope you and Eliza stay together and take care of your kid like you didn't want to do with ours. I hope your child feels all the love in the world." I said softly.

"How can you say that?" He asked in disbelief.

"Because I mean it. Just because Busy couldn't have you, doesn't mean any other child of yours shouldn't."

Gerard moved and sat down on my bed with his head in his hands. I watched him, still wondering how this all happened; how Gerard came back into my life so easily. He was here... Sitting on my bed, looking distraught.

"Please sit with me, October." He begged quietly, "I've needed you so bad."

My bottom lip trembled, but I didn't refuse. I stepped over and sat down on the bed with him.

"Remember when we were kids..." He said softly, moving his hands to his lap, "When the only thing in the world that mattered was me and you. I promised you a lot of stuff that I broke..."

I thought back to when we were teenagers and we were two messed up idiots. The nights we spent just lying in bed together and we didn't know what we would do with our lives.

"I'm sorry I ruined your life." He said after a moment.

"You never ruined my life, Gerard." I replied.

"How can you say that?" He repeats this, "I left you, I divorced you and you had to take care of a baby by yourself."

I smiled shaking my head, "Gee..." He smiled too, "I love Busy. I love raising her, I love every little thing about her, she makes me so happy. Ever since she's been born, I never had a single suicidal thought or need to harm myself. Busy makes life worth living, so really I should thank you."

"Don't. I'm a fucking asshole... I'm a shit dad." He grumbled.

I sighed, "Look, I shouldn't have said that you didn't deserve a chance... But, I don't want Busy to grow up and find out I didn't give you one. Maybe it'll be good," I said softly, "Just don't hurt her, Gerard. She's 2, she's going to say things without thinking, just be kind."

Gerard looked up at me, "I don't know if I can do it."

"Choose now." I told him.

He nodded, "I'm sorry about Eliza--"

"Did you make a decision?" I cut him off.

He got up, walked towards the door, opened it and walked out. I followed behind him; Ray and Mikey were talking about something on the couch, Frank was gone, but Busy was humming in her bedroom, causing the both of us to stop and go back. Gerard walked towards her door and stopped at the threshold. Busy looked up, "Hi Gee-ard." 
♠ ♠ ♠
Man oh man; back and forth. I really make Gerard bipolar.
What did you think? Do you love or hate this chapter?
Your comments are wonderful!

xo ali