‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Then don't."

"October?" I heard Gerard's voice, "Sugar, open the door." He knocked rapidly on the door.

"No." I muttered; I applied eyeliner around my eyes.

"October, open up." He demanded, his voice was hard.

"No. Leave me alone." 

He groaned, "If you don't open the fucking door, I'll kick the goddamn thing in!"

I put my eyeliner pencil down, and looked at myself, tightening my lips, "Fuck you."

There was silence, then the loud crash made me jump. I turned around quickly and saw a crack in the door. It hadn't opened, "Stop it!" I yelled a him.

Again, he kicked the door and it crashed open, flying against the wall. The door knob made a hole in the wall, I looked at Gerard, "Are you crazy?!"

"Stop fucking hiding from me! What the fuck is wrong with you?!" He shouted as he entered the bathroom.

"Get away from me!" 

"Not until you tell me what the fuck is wrong!"

I snarled, practically, at him, "Your drinking is what's wrong with me!" I snapped, "I am so sick of cleaning you up after you come home from the goddamn bar!"

Gerard recoiled back, his lips tightened, "Then don't."

I shut my eyes a moment, shaking my head, "Fine. I quit. It's over, I'm tired of trying to help you. We've only been married for two years, and already it's over." I spoke mostly to myself, my heart began to beat rapidly and my throat tightened.

"Hey, I didn't say nothing about a divorce, October." He grabbed my wrist and turned me around, "I ain't say all that."

I looked at him with narrowed eyes, "I can't do it anymore." I let out a sob, "I love you, Gerard. I bend over backward for you and you still do this to me."

I yanked my wrist away, his demeanor changed in a flash, "I just do it to get through the day."

"No, you drink like it's your last day on earth; it isn't just getting through the day anymore." I let more tears fall, "You drink when you wake up and before you fall into the bathroom. I am so sick of it..." I wiped my eyes, "You're breaking my heart, Gee."

He stepped back, "I didn't..." He trailed softly.

I knew he was trying to apologize, but he wouldn't. He didn't want to apologize and stop his drinking. I believe he thought if he apologized, that meant I would expect him to be as sober as preacher the next day. No, I wanted him to get help. I wanted my Gerard back.

I shook my head, "I'm going to go stay with Fran for a few days." I muttered, turning back to the mirror; I saw him chew at his lip and step out.

"I don't want you to..."

"Why? Because you need someone to drive you home from the bar and to hold your hair back?" I mutter this as I apply the rest of my eyeliner.

Gerard didn't move, "I'll call you later then." Then he left.

We were in absolute turmoil and Gerard wasn't willing to help save ourselves. He didn't want to save our marriage. That's what it felt like.

Gerard stayed in the room as I left. He shuffled around, while I grabbed my purse and left the house. I really didn't have to go to the boutique, but I needed to get away. I knew Fran would be there, just to scope out the shipment from my recent order.

The entire drive I thought of Gerard and the ways I could help him. I had finally shouted at him, while he was sober, and told him how I felt; maybe it would sink in. But, it didn't feel like he got even a small bit of it.

I pulled up at the boutique within a few minutes, and sure enough, Fran's car was in the back. I parked beside her, got out, locked my car and went inside. I could hear the music going and Fran's singing.

"Hey!" I called out to her.

"What's up?" She called back.

I met her in the back room, checking out the dresses. I smiled faintly at her, "How's the clothes?"

"They look awesome as always, love." She looked up at me and noticed the stress that was painted on my face, "What's going on?"

"Gerard." I turned the stereo off as I walked over, "He kicked the bathroom door in."

Her eyes grew wide, "What the fuck?"

"We got into an argument." I explain shortly.

"Drinkin'?" Fran asked with a frown.

"Yes. He just doesn't understand." I sighed heavily, leaning against the storage shelf, "I don't know what to say to him anymore. He won't listen and he doesn't even care."

"You want to stay over at my place?"

"I have to get Kruger..." I mumbled.

"We'll stop off after you close up, 'kay?"

I nodded, "Thanks."

"It's no big deal, I miss having you around, you know." She gave me a hug and patted my back.

"I miss you too. I miss how loud you used to be."

Fran giggled, letting me go, "You're in for a treat then."

Fran and I began to open up the boxes and put the new clothing up on hangers. My employees would be coming in an hour or so, but I busied myself by putting up the clothes. Fran had left, after buying a dress, and would come get me after I called her; I thanked her and went back to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Are the comments showing up for you guys? The notification pops up but there isn't any.
I have no clue what's going on, but I hope it fixes soon.

xo ali