‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Pinky promise."

The next few days, Busy spent a lot of time with Gerard. I still talked with Jon, and we did hang out a bit, but nothing major. We didn't talk about Gerard, and I wasn't really sure I wanted to. I felt weird about it, the way I thought about Gerard. I didn't want to be hung up on him.

Everyday, I would think about him, and it wasn't what I wanted. He drifted into my head at the most random of times. It was something sweet about how much he cared about Busy, and it wasn't just about us having some anger towards each other.

On Gerard's last day before tour, he had come over to be with Busy while I worked in my little office/sowing room. I could hear them laugh and play, which made me feel better about him being here. It wasn't that I didn't like him in my house, it was just, having him in such close proximity made it hard for me to see him. It sucked that I liked him so much, and he didn't really like me that much at all.

As I dug myself into styling and coming up with new ideas, Busy had come in, "Mama!"

I turned in my computer chair, "What's up?"

"Daddy leavin'." She took my hand.

I got up and let her guide me towards the living room. Gerard stood by the way to the front door, "Hey, you're takin' off?"

He nodded, "Yeah, I'll call when I get there."

Busy let my hand go and went to Gerard, tugging at his shirt. He knelt down, Busy wrapped her arms around his neck, "I loves you."

He chuckled, "I love you, too, Biz. I'll call you everyday, I promise."

"Pinky promise?"

He let her go to wrap his pinky around hers, "Pinky promise, Sugar."

I smiled at Gerard as he hugged Busy again, and stood up, then turn to me, "Have a good tour." I told him.

"Thanks." He exhaled, "I'll call later on to talk to Busy."

I nodded, "Alright."

Gerard leaned down again and took Busy and leaned in her ear. He whispered something and she giggled. I shook my head, smirking at them.

"...Okay?" Gerard said a bit louder.

Busy giggled, "Kay!"

Gerard stood again, "Be good, B."

"I will, daddy."

Gerard turned to me, "I'll see you soon."

I smiled at him, "Have fun."

•••

With Gerard gone, Busy was definitely a lot more sad. She missed him, and she would stay on the phone with him for hours. She would beg for him to stay on, even when she was falling asleep. 

Busy cried a lot when he would hang up, or when he couldn't talk long. Busy was definitely spoiled by the attention Gerard had given her. I didn't regret it, I just hated to see her so sad.

I would catch her a lot of times trying to call him and I would tell her that he has to call first. Of course, Busy broke out in a fit of tears. I tried keeping her busy before Gerard would call just so she would have her mind in something else.

Busy spent a lot of time with my dad and my mom; Busy was the one to tell them that Gerard was back. Man, did I have my ear chewed off by my mother.

She came at me with full force:

"October, are you stupid?" Were her first words.

I had frowned at her, "I couldn't keep B from him forever."

"Yes you could have! That man is nothing but a mess. I'm surprise he's still alive."

It hurt me that she said that, especially with Busy standing right there. Busy didn't need to know about how Gerard used to be, and if she does find out, I'd like it to be heard from myself or Gerard. But, I was thankful that Busy didn't question my mother's outburst, she just ran from the room.

It was a pro and con being close to my parent's; Busy loves them but I can't stand my mother.

•••

For my birthday, I was happy to take Busy away for a little while. I took her to Anaheim to Disneyland. She had been expecting it, but she was still surprised when I took her in.

I had paid for all day passes for her and myself, and Jon tagged along. I took lots of pictures of her in her new dress with Mickey and Minnie, and when she met Cinderella. Busy didn't get to see Belle again, but she was just as happy to get on the rides and for me to buy her balloons and let her stay up late to see the fireworks.

She had fallen asleep when he had called; I was driving back home.

"Hey, sorry for calling so late, where's Busy?" He sounded off, not like himself.

"She's asleep, didn't you get my text?"

"No," he said softly, "I'll... I'll call tomorrow then."

"Hey, wait, are you alright?" I couldn't help but ask.

"I'm fine, just tired."

"Oh, well... Um, I'm sorry for tiring her out. We're leaving Disneyland right now."

"Did she have fun?" His voice perked up a bit.

I smiled, "Yeah, she did. I took tons of pictures."

"I can't wait to see them. Did she wear that dress?"

"Yes, and she loves it. It's gonna be hard to take it off her." I joked softly.

"You're amazing, October." He sighed softly, "I... Gotta go. I'll call you later." His tone had turned back to what it originally had been when he called.

"Okay."

"Bye." He hung up a second after.

Jon had looked at me when I closed my phone; "What's wrong?"

"Uh, Gerard. He didn't sound like himself." I explained.

"Is he alright?"

"He says he is... I don't think he is." I sighed, "I don't know what it is... I hope he's okay."

"I'm sure he is. He probably misses Busy."

I smiled, hoping that was just the case and nothing more, "I hope so."

•••

The following day, after Busy relayed the day we had to my dad and mom, she finally got the chance to talk to Gerard. She talked and talked nonstop while she sat on the couch. She looked so cute, talking as if she were a grown up, with her legs curled up and my cell glued to her ear.

She giggled excessively and laughed and told Gerard about the rides in over exaggerated imagination. She mimics the noises of the rides and then she would fake scream, claiming it was me when we hit the "frightening" parts. "Mama was scared." She giggled.

I watched her a bit as she talked to him. I knew the conversation was coming to a close because Busy yawned, "I sleepy... I no wanna sleep... Kay... I miss you, daddy... Love you, too."

Busy got up, walked over to me and crawled into my lap, "I go sleep now." She told me, handing off my phone.

I put it to my ear, "Gerard?"

"She's tired, ain't she?" He asked softly.

"Yeah." I told him, "She can't wait to see you."

"I miss her too." 

"Have a goodnight, Gerard."

"Thanks, October."