‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Have faith in me."

The house had lots of noise to it once Happy was back. He barked his puppy growl and Busy would giggle constantly. She loves that little dog, she could spend hours rolling on the floor with him.

Gerard had, had to go the day after Happy returned. He had to go to New York, and I nervously had a clue as to why. He was gonna pack some things and come and live with me. 

It all seemed to move so fast, but it all seemed right. Gerard and I had an understanding and he trusted me just as much as I trusted him. My worry was at a minimum, I only feared he would give in to his old habits.

He could see it a mile away. Just looking at my face, he saw the worry.

"Have faith in me." He said softly, his hand cupped my jaw and trailed the bone gently.

I did have faith, but faith couldn't outweigh needs. Faith can't completely wipe out a habit. I still feared it.

"I do have faith." I told him.

His lips pressed to mine quickly, "I'll be good, promise." He said with a cheeky grin.

"You better." I warned him jokingly; I did mean it, though.

Gerard had said bye to Busy, kissing the top of her head before he left. It was only a tiny bit quieter without him. I had missed him as soon as he stepped out the door.

•••

Busy hated sleeping in her room after Gerard left. I wasn't bothered by her sharing a bed with me, but she refused to even think about lying in her own bed. She slept with me the entire length he was gone.

But, the first day he was gone, she cried the whole night. We hadn't gotten any real rest, Fran even tried to bribe her with trips to the park and ice cream so I could go to the store and talk to some contractors. Busy put up a fight and screamed at the top of her lungs that she wasn't leaving me. So, I had to take her with me, leaving Happy with a dog kennel until I got a leash. I was kind of nervous about taking Busy with me inside the store.

"Mama," Busy sobbed as she looked out the window, "I wan' Happy!" She cried.

"Baby, we'll be back soon, I have stuff to take care of. We aren't leaving him forever." 

Busy sulked in her seat, her little face wet and red. I sighed heavily, trying not to become so testy and mad. I wasn't mad at Busy, I was mad about the store more than anything.

When we had pulled up, Busy gasped, "Mama, what happen?"

I parked, "Uh, something bad."

I got out the car, got Busy out and placed her on my hip. I went inside, hearing tools and men speaking. I went up to the head contractor, "Hi, I'm October."

"Chuck," He shook my hand, "You're the owner?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

Busy whipped her head around the store, nearly gasping at everything. The floor had been pulled up, and was mopped up. The walls were white instead of the periwinkle color it used to be.

"We're finished with the floor," He began, "We're fixing and painting the damage to the wall."

Chuck and I ran through what needed to be fixed and the cost. I hadn't cared what it cost, I just wanted it fixed. I thought about selling my property, I just didn't want to be on the block anymore.

I placed Busy back in the car, her sobbing made her sleepy, so she rested her head against the cushion of her car seat. I kissed the top of her head, "Are you hungry?" She nodded tiredly, "Okay, B, we'll get Happy, then I'll take you home, make you some mushy peaches and you'll take a nap."

She frowned slightly, "I nap now."

"You gotta eat first."

She whined, "I wan' daddy." Tears began to pool in her sleepy eyes.

"I'll call him after you eat."

The tears rolled down her cheeks, but she didn't fight me. I don't think she had the energy to. I kissed her cheek, wiping the wetness away, then closed the door.

•••

Happy snuggled against Busy on the couch as she slept. She had finished eating in record time just so she could nap. I had sat by her feet, coursing her hair back, kissing her cheek and smiling. 

Busy looks just like Gerard when he sleeps. The little Peter Pan nose and her bottom lip poked out; she so adorable. I started to think about when she was a baby and how deeply I fell in love with her; I especially loved her when she was a baby. It was then that she had given me so much hope, and I wasn't afraid to be by myself. I wasn't afraid to keep living without Gerard.

Just as I thought that, my phone rang; I grabbed it quickly and answered before it woke Busy. "Hello?"

"Hey," It was Gerard, "How's B?"

"She just fell asleep. She misses you so much." I told him.

"She does? Did she cry?" He asked curiously.

"Yeah," I hummed, "She fell asleep with me last night and couldn't stop crying this morning." 

"I'm sorry--"

I stopped him, "Gee, it's okay. I understand, she's your baby."

"I miss her too." He reflected sadly, "I'll be home the day after tomorrow."

"How's everything?" 

"Mikey's giving me the cold shoulder." He sighed, "I don't care though..." He trailed.

"Did you talk to him?"

"Yeah, I did. He's still pissed." Gerard sighed again, "And, fuckin' Eliza is staying with him. I found her in my apartment last night, made her leave."

"Gee, are you okay?"

He was silent a moment, "No. No, I ain't. I want something..."

"Remember what you promised." I forced the words to come out smoother than my mouth wanted.

"I do, believe me. I ain't gonna fuck  up." He said softly, "I just want to hug you, Sugar. I want to see Busy."

"You'll be home soon." I said with a smile, "The time will fly by."

"Yeah, you're right." 

"I love you, Gee."

He gave a soft chuckle, "I love you, too."

•••

Two days had passed, Busy was still fussy about Gerard, and when she talked to him on the phone, she went into hysterics when he had to go. It took a lot to get her off the phone and to stop crying. She has a big attachment to Gerard.

The one thing that made her feel better was visiting my dad. 

Busy and my dad are attached at the hip like her and Gerard. My dad takes Busy to guitar shops and plays to her. She could spend all day with my dad and come home happier than when she had gone.

The day Gerard was due back, I hadn't called him to ask when he was coming. I was afraid of another fit by Busy, and every time my phone beeped she ran over and gave it to me asking if it were him. So, I didn't call him with specifics, I just got Busy ready to go spend the afternoon with my parents.

"Daddy comin'?" She asked me as I tied her shoes.

"I think he'll be here tonight." I told her.

"Happy go with me?" She asked excitedly.

"Gotta ask Grandpa." 

Before I knew it, my dad was coming in, and Happy was yapping at his heels. Busy petted her little pup, "No bark at Ganpa!" She told Happy with a fake scowl.

"So this is the famous Happy I've been hearin' about?" My dad had stoop down and petted the dog, "He's a cutie."

"I take him, Ganpa?" She asked hopefully.

My dad smiled, while I stood by, watching them, "Sure, B. We'll go to the park and give you guys some exercise."

"Here is his leash." I went over and grabbed the baby blue leash Busy picked out for him, then strapped it to Happy's collar, "He'a potty trained, too, so he's okay to come in your house."

"Great," my dad stood, scratching his beard too. He took the leash from me, "How's everything at the store?"

"It's okay, I guess. I'm selling the property, I'm gonna move to another part." I told him, "Near more family operated businesses."

"That sounds good," He picked Busy up, "I hope it works out. I'll have Busy home after supper."

"Alright." I leaned over and kissed Busy's cheek, "I love you."

"Love you, mama." She kissed me back.

"Be good."

She huffed, "I know!"

I walked them out, then watched them leave. I closed the door, then slumped over to the couch. I relaxed for 15 minutes, my stomach was starting to ache, when the door bell rang. I groaned, figuring it must've been my dad, forgetting something. I got back up and hurried to the door; once I opened it, I frowned at the person standing there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who's hiding behind door number 1?