‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"I'm beyond mad."

I stormed into the house, my mouth shut. I left Gerard behind, I felt like I was on a mission; the endorphins in my body rushed through my blood, I felt high. I went to the dining room, to the drawer, and grabbed a screw driver.

I had to fix the door.

"October, c'mon, don't be mad." Gerard came stumbling in.

I ignored him, went to the hall bathroom; the door was still kicked in. I went to the hinges and went to work.

"Are you giving me the cold shoulder? Don't do that." Gerard leaned against the opposite wall.

"Fuck off." I mumbled nonchalantly.

"You ain't mad?" He questioned with a surprised tone.

"I'm beyond mad. I'm disappointed." I spoke in a chipped tone, "Don't talk to me. Go do your "thing"." I spat at him.

His body stiffened; I could sense it.

"October," He stepped to me, then knelt where I was, "Sugar, don't do this."

I looked back at him, "What am I doing?" I asked with heavy aggression, "Don't do what? You're the one who is asking my permission to fucking end your life slowly."

"Don't get mad at me."

"I care about you, I can get mad if I want to!"

"No girl has ever done this before, so why don't you just be like them?"

I furrowed my brows, dropped the screwdriver, and got up. I left Gerard, the half hung door and went into our bedroom. Gerard followed me, standing behind me as I sunk into the closet, looking for a bag.

"What're you doing?" He asked quietly.

"Doing what all those other girls did. I'm leaving." I explained shortly.

"No, that's not what I meant--"

I cut him off, "Maybe you should've married Wendy. She sure as hell didn't care about you; you'd probably be dead." I dropped the bag on the bed and went to the dresser.

"October, stop," He stammered as I grabbed clothes, anything.

"No, leave me alone. I'm doing what you asked."

"Stop it, October!" He growled at me; he couldn't yell at me, his mouth was probably killing him.

"No. I'm not going to stop," I shoved my clothes into the bag, "This is how it's going to be." I muttered his own words back at him.

He threw his hands up, "Fine, fucking leave me. Go ahead, I ain't gonna stop you."

I knew he was saying this to make me stop, but I didn't. I wasn't stupid, I'm not going to stop just because he let me go. Besides, we needed time apart, we needed to get our heads straight; more so he than myself.

I zipped up my bag, and started out the door, Gerard followed slowly; "That door better replaced when I come back." I added as I walked out the door.

He didn't reply at all; I got to the car, pulling the keys from pocket and shoved my bag into the passenger seat. I pulled out of the driveway without looking back.

•••

I stayed at Fran's for an entire day, without contacting Gerard. It was the longest time we'd gone without speaking since we found each other again. He never left my thoughts, though, no matter what.

Mikey had called me, later the next day, to say that Gerard was in the studio, drinking rum to soothe the ache in his mouth and that he was actually sober. I was surprised that he wasn't taking or drinking anything else, and I was feeling that maybe he was taking my leaving seriously.

I really wanted to speak to him, but I couldn't force used enough to call. I only thought of him immensely.

Another day went by, and I was at my boutique, taking in inventory, when I got an emergency call from Frank. I had picked up the phone, "Merci--"

I was cut off, "Hey, October, are you busy?" Frank stammered quickly, almost out of breath.

"A little, why? Why are you breathing hard?" I asked with a raised brow.

"I ran to the ER, and I'm the only one with a charged phone. Uh, Gerard is at the hospital right now."

"What? What happened?" I felt my heart slowly pick up speed.

"We did some recording yesterday, and then he went to the orthodontist and they found some gross abscess in his mouth and they're going to do surgery right now. I totally forgot, and I forgot to call you yesterday."

"What the hell? He's okay, right?" I nearly dropped everything.

"Yeah, but you can come down here. Gerard kind of didn't want me to call, Mikey made me."

I coursed my hair, "Okay, I'll be there soon."

I hung up with Frank, then went out to the floor to tell Becky and Jessica I was leaving again. I grabbed my things, then rushed out to my car.

I didn't have much time to think once I was on the road. I really only thought about getting to Gerard as quickly as possible. I got to the hospital quick, making my way through the parking lot and into the lobby waiting room.

The first person I saw was Mikey, then Frank. I jogged over to them, "Hey."

Mikey looked up from the old magazine he was reading, his glasses perched on the end of his nose, "Hey, October. Gerard just went in."

I frowned slightly, "He's alright, though?"

"His mouth is in pain, that's it." Mikey looked at Frank, "Frank was suppose to call you yesterday; Gerard would've given me hell if I called."

I sighed and say beside him, "Is he really mad at me?" I asked meekly.

Mikey shook his head, "No... He's more embarrassed."

"Why?" I asked with furrowed brows.

"He thinks you're mad at him, and you know Gerard... He's all proud and shit."

I smiled to myself, "Yeah, I know. I just wished he would've told me. I almost freaked out."

"He's gonna be okay, he's gonna be grumbling like a baby for a week."

"He hasn't taken anything?" I had to ask.

"No. I'm kinda worried about when he gets out of the hospital... The pain killers, y'know?"

"I have to watch him."

Frank leaned over, "You're finally coming home? I'm getting tired of him whining about you."

I smirked, "Maybe I am, Frankie."

"Good." Frank retorted and sat back.

Mikey shook his head comically, but he grew serious, "I'm glad you put your foot down, October. Really, no one has been able to set ground rules for Gerard since we were kids. You really like... Lit a fire under his ass, he's trying to be better for you."

It felt like my heart soared from my chest cavity. I smiled, feeling my cheeks warm; "All I want is for him to get better."

"He is, but you know Gerard... It's gonna take some time."

"I don't expect an overnight change."

"Discipline works for him," Mikey have a soft laugh, "You're stern with him, and that's good. Mom was too much of a push over."

"Speaking of which, where is your mom?"

"She's with Gerard," He nudged his head towards the back, "She's babying him."

I shook my head, "He isn't gonna get it from me."

"That's why she's in there. She feels bad because you were, and I quote, 'So mean to her little baby', like she needs to pumps his head up anymore." Mikey scoffed.

"She isn't mad at me, is she?"

Mikey laughed, "No! Mom thinks the same as I do. She's just putting up the little front like me; she knows Gerard is a brat, but she's a mom."

I nodded, "Yeah, I get it."

Mikey rubbed his neck, "So, do you... Do you plan on leaving Gerard? I mean, like, if he doesn't clean up his act?"

I shrugged, "It's too early to tell," I murmured, "I don't want to. I love Gerard, Mikey. I love him more than I love myself, it runs that deep."

Mikey grinned funnily, "Dang. So serious."

"It always been. He was there for me when I felt like I had no one. He was the first boy I ever felt comfortable with."

"Gerard brags about you a lot, too," He mumbled, I almost didn't hear him, "It's kinda annoying, but," Mikey gave me a happy smile, "I know you make my brother happy, October."

I smiled back, genuinely, "I try."

"Thanks. If it weren't for you, I think I would've lost him a while ago."

I leaned over and hugged Mikey, "You're welcome."

He returned my hug, "Please, continue to whip his ass into shape."

I giggled softly before I let him go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Swing, Swing is back up :D