‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"It's overwhelming."

"Come with me." Gerard said to me softly; after my morning shower, "Me and Busy, I mean."

I chewed at my lip, "Gee... I don't want to..."

"Why not?" He frowned.

I grabbed my clothes and began to dress quickly, my heart throbbing with nervousness, "I, uh, don't wanna embarrass you."

Gerard came over to me just as I put my t-shirt on, "Embarrass me how?"

I turned and faced him, "Look at me."

"We really gotta discuss this again?" He exasperated.

"No, Gee, I'm just trying to save you the embarrassment."

He bit his bottom lip, then released it, "You ain't gonna embarrass me."

"I know that's what you think, but be honest--"

Gerard grabbed my forearms, "October, I don't care what anyone thinks. You're coming with us, and that's it."

"Gerard, I'm afraid." I sputtered honestly, "I..." I felt sick, anxious tears pool and sink down my cheeks.

Gerard hugged me, "Look, October, don't worry. I'll be right there beside you. I'll help you through the anxiety and fear."

I sighed, "It's a stupid, irrational fear. I need to grow up."

Gerard kissed my temple, "Fuck what everyone thinks."

I exhaled, "Okay... I guess I'll go."

Gerard let me go to kiss me on the lips. I chewed at my bottom one when we pulled apart, "Don't worry." He told me.

"I'll try not to."

•••

The air was slightly windy when we got to the park. I kept my hand in Gerard's while he carried Busy. She took off her sandals as soon as she got to the sand and then she took off towards the slide.

I licked my lips, looking around; the park was full, lots of kids and parents. I tugged my knitted hat down slightly, out of fear. Gerard squeezed my hand, "Don't worry, watch Busy."

I looked over to the slide and saw her slide down, all the while she giggled. Once she was down, she climbed the stairs and did it again, only this time she yelled out, "Mama! You see me? I slide!"

I smiled brightly, waving my fingers at her, "Yes, B, I see you."

She giggled and went down the slide. At the bottom, she ran over, "Daddy, you see me?" 

Gerard nodded, letting my hand go, "Yep, I saw you."

"I swing now, 'kay?" She took both of our hands and ushered us over to the swings.

I leaned against the pole, while Gerard set Busy on the swing. She looked at me, her smile big, "Mama, you looks pretty today."

I blushed, "Really?"

She nodded, "Yes, I loves youse hat."

I chuckled, "You picked it out, remember?"

She giggled, "That's cause I loves it."

I smiled at her, I was glad I decided to join them. Busy's laugh was probably the only thing I heard that had me distracted. I loved to hear her laugh and squeal with happiness.

By the time we decided to leave, Gerard was getting a call from Frank about them having to meet up in Santa Barbara. I tried not to frown at him as he said he had to go...

Gerard's arms were tight around me as he prepared to leave. I held him, my heart heavy with sadness. I didn't want Gerard to leave so soon. I missed him already.

"I love you, Gee." I murmured in his ear.

"I love you, too." He let me go slowly, "Just a few more weeks and I'll be home."

I smiled softly, letting him pick Busy up and kiss her cheek. "I love you, B."

She hummed, "I love you, daddy. Do you has to leave?" She asked with a pout.

Gerard nodded sadly, "Yeah, I'm sorry, baby girl. I'll be back soon."

Busy sighed dramatically, "But I no want you to go, daddy! Please?"

"I got to, I wish I could stay, but I gotta go. I'll call you, baby."

Busy frowned, "I go with you?"

Gerard chuckled, "I wish, B, but you can't."

"Boo!" She grumbled.

I kissed her cheek, "Hey, B, daddy will be back, don't worry."

She sighed softer this time, "Okay." She hugged Gerard around his neck, "I miss you."

He hugged her back, "I'll miss you, too."

A few more minutes of hugs and kisses, Gerard's taxi pulled up. I bit at my lip and sighed, holding back tears. "Don't cry." He told me as he stepped back.

"I'm not promising anything." I laughed lamely, letting a few droplets escape.

He leaned forward, kissed my lips quickly and then turned around. Busy held my hand as we watched him get in the taxi and leave; he waved too, smiling sadly at us.

"Why do he always leave?" Busy asked as she looked up at me.

"It's his job, B." I gathered some energy and picked her up, "He'll be back."

"I knows that." She murmured.

I carried Busy inside and towards the bathroom to give her a bath.

•••

"Treatment is going pretty well," Dr. Green smiled as he looked over my chart, "This amazing, October."

I smiled, "It is? Is the cancer gone?"

"Yes, we can't find any trace," He closed the fold, "But, we can't rejoice just yet."

"Yeah, I know." 

"We have to keep an eye out," He smiled still, "But, as of now, you are cancer free."

My heart felt as if it would've exploded then; I smiled, tears slipped from my eyes and I cupped my mouth. I didn't think I would've gotten so emotional as I did.

"It's overwhelming," He said with a short nod, "I understand."

"I can't believe it. I was scared when I came in here." I exhaled heavily, wiping my eyes.

"You just keep up with the diet, the supplements and we'll screen you every visit." 

I breathed in deeply, "Thank you, Dr. Green."

"You're welcome, October."

I stepped out of the exam room, then went up to make another appointment for next month. I looked over an saw Busy playing in the play area with my dad watching her. I went over, "Hey, guys."

My dad smiled, "All good?"

I nodded, almost on the verge of tears again, "Cancer free." I told him happily.

My dad pulled me into a hug, "Oh, wow, honey. I'm so happy for you."

I hugged him back, "Thank you. Thank you for putting up with Busy and I."

He let me go gently, "It's no burden, October, we love having you."

I was gonna speak when Busy came over, "Mama, is you better yet?" She asked curiously.

I nodded, picking her up, "Yes, baby doll. Mama is all better."

She grinned, "Yes! Yes!" 

I giggled softly, kissing her cheek, "Are you ready to go home?"

"Yes."

For 7 weeks, my energy had gotten better. I took my medication and vitamins religiously and I even was able to talk to Gerard without being too tired. I had just stopped my chemotherapy two weeks before.

I played with Busy, I was able to eat, and I wasn't too depressed. I was a lot happier because I stopped chemo; I couldn't wait for my hair to grow back. I even got to call Fran and tell her what had been going on; she was in tears by the end of our conversation. She promised to visit as soon as her work load lightened up. I couldn't wait to see her, too.

I also was excited to see Gerard. I missed him, each time we talked my heart ached for him. I really hated going to sleep by myself.

"So, I'm dropping you off at your house?" My dad asked.

"Yes, please." I rubbed my head and neck, "I haven't been home in forever."

My dad would check on my place every other day. It was okay so far; I couldn't take my chances, though.

When I got home, I was surprised to see two police officers at my door. My dad looked over at me, "What's going on?"

"I don't know." 

My dad got Busy, while I went up to the officers, "Um, can I help you?"

One officer with sunglasses nodded, "Are you October Way?"

I was confused first, because I didn't go by October Way, "Uh, yeah... But, I don't go by that name."

"Sorry, ma'am," He said quickly, I just shrugged, "We made an arrest in the vandalization on your property."

My heart sped up, "Eliza?"

His partner looked at me confused, "Yes, how did you know?"

"She's my husband's ex-girlfriend. She apparently confessed to him a while ago." I rolled my eyes over in annoyance, "We aren't friends."

"Yes, ma'am--"

I cut him off, "Please, I prefer if you just call me October."

"Well, October, we are holding her in our department. She's on bail, but she won't be bonded until tomorrow morning."

"Can I see her?" I asked suddenly.

"See her? Not until the hearing, and that's on Wednesday."

"No, officer, I want to talk to her."

"We don't believe you should, not until the hearing."

"I'm not going to file charges against her." I told them, "I just want a restraining order against her, that's it."

They both looked a bit confused, "Are you sure?"

"Positive. I want to talk with her and then have an order of protection or a restraining order against her."

The first officer nodded, "Here's the information on the hearing, you can explain this all to the judge then." He handed me some folded up papers.

"Thank you." I took the papers and looked them over quickly.

"Have you attorney look them over, and he can explain everything."

The officers left after that, I turned to my dad and gestures him over. I unlocked the door and let them in; Busy looked up at me, "Mama, the cops scare me."

"It's alright, B, they were just talking to me about the store." I told her.

"Did they find who did it?" My dad asked.

I nodded, "Yeah... It was Gerard's ex-girlfriend."

His jaw nearly dropped, "No," He gasped, "What the hell is that little--" He stopped himself from cussing, "That woman's problem?"

"She was jealous." 

"Women," he exhaled, "Some women are crazy."

"Yeah, I know it." I rubbed my neck and explained what I had told the officers; Busy rushed off to turn watch cartoons.

My dad did not look happy.

"October, that woman vandalized your store. How can you just look the other way?"

"Dad, what's the point? In a way, I've won. I have Gerard."

"But, what if she goes after you?"

"That's what the restraining order is for. If she comes near me or Busy, she'll go to prison."

My dad sighed, "I'm just looking out for you, honey."

I hugged him again, "Thank you, again, dad, you're amazing."

He chuckled, "Don't need to tell me twice."

He let me go, "I'll go get Happy and bring him over, alright? Do you want me to bring you some food?"

"That would be awesome, dad." I smiled, "I'm kinda tired."

"No problem." He pecked my forehead and left.

I went over to the living room; Busy was sitting on the couch, watching a rerun of some cartoon. I sat beside her, "Grandpa's gonna bring Happy and some food, okay?"

She grinned, looking over at me, "Good! I miss him."

I giggled, "Daddy should be calling soon."

"He come home yet?" Busy tweaked her lips funnily, "I miss him too."

"He should be. He hasn't said yet."

"He need to hurry, mama."

I smiled at her, "He will."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hahaha caught that biotch!