‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"I wouldn't hide from you."

The following morning, I sat with Busy; I ate eggs and fed her cereal while Gerard showered. I planned to tell Busy about Elsa, and explaining my relationship with her. I couldn't wait for Busy to meet her. 

"B, I'm gonna have a friend visit in two weeks," I began.

Busy smiled, taking some of my eggs, "Friend?"

"Her name is Elsa and she used to watch me when I was Jilly's age."

Busy smiled, "You was small?"

I giggled, "Yes, Biz, I was."

"Is she nice?"

"Yep," I continued to feed her, "She talks kinda funny; like Auntie Frances, but different."

Busy's eyes lit up, "Ooh! When she comin'?"

"In a couple weeks. I think I'll let her stay with us and watch you sometimes. Would you like that?"

Busy shrugged, "You likes her?"

"Yep," I nodded quickly, "I love her, B. She's very, very sweet."

"Daddy like her?"

"Yeah, he does." 

Busy smiled, "I likes her." 

I smiled back, "I know she'll like you, too, baby."

I finished feeding Busy, and let her go and play with Happy in the back yard. I watched her, she ran around, tiring her and Happy out. I smiled, my mind was completely at ease, and I was happy to see Busy so joyful.

I wanted to join her, but I held back; my stomach cramped a bit. I didn't want to outwardly complain so I pretended it didn't bother me and focused my mind elsewhere.

"Hey," I felt Gerard's hand on my arm, "Did you tell Busy?"

I nodded, feeling his arm snake around my waist, "Yeah, she's excited."

He kissed my cheek, "I bet she is," Gerard watched her with me, "She's a funny kid, she can have fun all by herself."

"I know," I chuckled, "I don't want to interrupt them."

Gerard pulled me closer to him, "How are you feeling? Everything okay?"

I hummed, wondering how he could sense it. I lied, "I'm fine, Gee. Why do you ask?"

"Just checking up on you, Sugar. I don't want you to hide anything from me."

I smirked and spun around to face him, "I wouldn't hide from you." Again, I lied.

Gerard smiled back, "I'm just making sure. I'm glad you admit you wouldn't hide from me."

I bit at my lip, and sighed, "Can I be honest with you for a moment?" 

Gerard hummed, the sound of Busy's laughter drowned it out, "Of course."

I wrapped my arms around his middle, "Gerard, I'm really bummed out."

His smile faded, "Why?"

I licked my lips, "Just... The sudden thought of my life, our lives." I mumbled, "I really... I want another baby." 

His brows furrowed, but then his features smoothed over and sadden, "Oh... October, I'm sorry."

"It's just a burst of thought," I told him quickly, "Not now... Later on, when I'm fully better."

He squeezed my middle, "Whatever you want. We can talk about adoption."

I nodded shortly, the thought made me sad. I was being selfish, in my head, because a lot was coming to me. I was angry with my own selfishness and how much I hated the thought of adopting. It wasn't a bad thing, I just wanted to give birth to our own child again. I hated how much it all hit me when I looked at Busy playing.

Plus the pain in my stomach didn't help either.

"Mama!" Busy called, I turned my head and let go of Gerard gently.

"Yeah, sweetness?" I watched her run over to us.

"I wan' watch movies!" She exclaimed, "I wan' poppy-corn, too!"

I shook my head, "Baby, it's too  early for popcorn," I picked her up, "We can watch movies, though."

She grinned, "Okay." Busy looked down, "Happy watch wit' me."

Gerard led the way inside, I let Busy down and she and Happy hopped on the couch. I went to the TV, "What do you wanna watch?"

"Umm...." She hummed dramatically, "'Ladin!"

I winked at her, "You got it."

I turned to the DVDs, looking for Aladdin, when the door bell rang. Gerard called from the kitchen that he was gonna answer it. I got the movie, went to put it on, when I heard Frank.

"Where's my favorite little person?" He called happily.

Busy squealed, "Uncle Frankie!" She jumped from the couch and ran over with Happy at her heels.

I put the movie down and went over; Frank had picked up Busy and was swinging her around with Gerard shaking his head in the background. "I missed you, BB!"

Frank stopped spinning her, Busy hugged his neck, "I miss you, Frankie."

He laughed, "Did Happy miss me?"

Busy nodded, "Mama say he big!"

Frank looked down at Happy; he laughed, "Oh man, he is."

Happy had grown a over the last couple of months. Frank let Busy down, then knelt to her height and began to pet Happy, "Hey boy! You're big, ain't you. What has October been feeding you?"

I crossed my arms, "Doggie food."

Frank grinned at me, "Thanks for clearing that up for me."

"You're welcome, Frank," I rolled my eyes at him, "What're you doing here?"

"I can't visit my favorite little person?" He hugged Busy again, "I want to take her out."

Busy clapped her hands, "Where?!"

Gerard laughed, "Calm down, baby."

"I wanna take you to the park and possibly the zoo." Frank sang, "If you've been good and taking care of Happy."

Busy nodded vigorously, "I did! I did!"

"Okay, good!" Frank looked at me, "Can I take Busy out?"

I nodded, "Yeah, sure."

Busy hopped around, "Yay! Yay! I takes Happy?"

"To the park," Frank told her, "Not to the zoo."

Busy frowned, "Why?"

"Well, Happy would bark at all the animals," Frank explained, "And then he'll be jealous."

Busy nodded, then she petted Happy, "You bes good, Happy."

Happy yelped softly, then licked Busy's face. Busy giggle and hugged him, "Happy loves me!"

"Let's go to the park, then," Frank grinned, "We can run around!"

Busy didn't answer, she ran off with Happy beside her, and towards her room. Frank stood up, smiling, "You guys don't mind, do you?"

I shook my head, "No, it's cool. Be careful."

"You wanna stay home?" Gerard asked.

"Yeah, I mean, I," I sighed, "My stomach is cramping."

Gerard frowned, "I told you."

"It just started." I admitted softly, "I'm just gonna relax."

"I'm gonna stay and take care of her." Gerard said adamantly.

Frank shrugged, "Cool with me."

"I'll get her little bag ready." I said, "Busy is pretty good at telling you what she needs, so don't worry, Frank."

•••

My stomach settled a bit after Frank left with Busy. Gerard had me pulled onto his lap, holding my waist; he flinched at every little move I made. It was bugging me, but still I held my tongue.

I moved a bit to rest my head on a pillow, Gerard flinched, "October, are you okay?"

"Gerard, I'm fine. If something is wrong I'll tell you." I snapped in a chipped tone.

His body stiffened. I sighed, "Gee, I'm sorry." I apologized softly.

"I'm just worried." He explained against my neck, "I don't want you to get sick."

"I'm totally fine."

"What do you call those cramps then?" He countered worriedly.

"Stomachache due to eggs." I replied smartly.

He shook his head, "Can't blame everything on eggs, October."

"But I'm serious, it's the eggs. It's not like when before the cancer." I said this all quietly.

He sighed and kissed the back of my neck, "Promise?"

"I promise, Gee. It's not painful." I told him the truth, "You believe me?"

"Yeah." He nodded, "Maybe it was from last night." He added.

"Last night?" I questioned cluelessly.

"Sex." 

I shook my head, "No, we've done it before."

"Maybe it's getting too much." He said quickly, "We should slow down."

I frowned inwardly; my ego took a hit. I didn't say a word, all my insecurities were coming back, washing over me. It was a crash wave attack.

"October?" Gerard called to me as I kept my mouth shut.

"I'm tired." I excused, "I wanna sleep for a minute."

"Are you okay?" He asked again.

I nodded, forcing tears to stop in place, "Perfect."