‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"I... Don't get it."

No tantrums were brought on when Busy woke up; she had only bothered herself with Thora. She had forgotten that Gerard had gone until bed time. Even then, she shrugged and left him a voicemail message.

The following day, Gerard called her early in the morning. She and Thora were snoozing in my bed; with Happy snuggled at the end of the bed. I answered the phone; "Good morning." I said to him.

"Hey," he yawned, "We just passed the Canadian border. I forgot to call last night. How was Busy?"

"She's fine," I told him, "She forgot you left."

Gerard laughed, "Wow. I feel the love."

I chuckled, "B just loves to consume herself with Thora."

"I was that way too, when Mikey was a baby. Nothing mattered then but Mikey."

"You wanna talk to her? She right here asleep."

"Yeah, put her on."

I kept the phone to my ear and smoothed back Busy's messy hair; "Wake up Busy Bee. Daddy's on the phone."

Busy opened her eyes slowly and looked at me, "Mama... I sleepy."

"Happy Birthday! Daddy wants to say hello."

Busy say up, she rubbed her eyes and took the phone, "Hi daddy... I is 3... I miss you too... I will... I love you," she handed me the phone, "Here mama."

I put the phone to my ear, "Where are her presents?" I asked him.

"Top of the shelf in the pantry." he told me.

I snorted while watching Busy trace Thora's face with her finger, "Well, damn."

"Good hiding place, huh?"

"Yeah, actually." 

"I wish I was there to see her open them." 

"I'll take pictures for you." I said with a smile.

"Ain't the same," he mumbled.

"Don't worry, you'll be here next birthday." I wanted him to cheer up.

He sighed, "You're right, but I already missed two, I even missed her birth! I'm a terrible fucking father."

I wished he was beside me so I could shake him, "No you aren't, Gerard," I said angrily; my anger melted when I saw Thora wake and take hold of Busy's finger and put it in her mouth to chew on; "You're a great father."

"Compared to my own, I'm father of the year."

"Yeah, you are. You're amazing. You have a job that you love, you have kids, and sometimes you need to make sacrifices, honey."

Busy giggle filled the room and I knew Gerard had heard, "I hate making these sacrifices."

"I know you do, but one day, you won't have to, I swear."

"Yeah, I know. I can't wait to come home and talk with you. I've been thinking about things."

"I can't wait either, Gee. I love you."

"I love you, too." 

I hung up with Gerard and set my phone aside. Thora still had a grip on Busy's finger while Busy giggled. "Are you ready for presents and cake, B?"

Busy nodded, "Thora eat cakey too?"

"She's too little for cake, B." I set Thora on my lap, she released Busy and took my finger.

"We save cake for daddy?" Busy hopped up and began to jump on the bed.

"I don't think we can save cake that long." I told her, "Be careful."

"I is!"

I laughed, "You're a big girl now, you got to start talking like one."

Busy stopped jumping and look at me, "How?"

"You say "I am" not "I is"." I explained.

"I... Am?" she questioned.

"Yep."

"I no get it." she scratched her head.

I smiled, "Say "I don't get it", B."

"I... Don't get it." she said slowly.

"See? You're talking like a big girl."

She frowned, "I... Am no big girl!"

I laughed softly, "Yes you are. You're small, but you're growing up!"

She sighed dramatically, "I... Am ka-fuse!"

I kissed her head, "We'll keep practicing."

•••

Later on that evening, we went To my parents to celebrate Busy's birthday. Our tradition is that my dad cooks for B's birthday and she opens her presents. She gets only one or two from my parents and I told my brothers to all pitch in and get her one thing; since her birthday is after Christmas; I don't want to spoil her.

Busy had gone off to play with all the kids while we all were in the living room passing around Thora. My sister-in-laws all cooed at the baby; "She's so cute." Cherie (BJ's wife) said.

"She is!" Debbie (Jeremy's wife) added, "Will you ever tell her she's adopted?"

I shrugged, "Maybe, I'm not sure yet."

"How is Gerard handling it?" Jeremy asked.

"He loves it. He loves Busy and Thora."

"You guys look happy together." Cherie smiled as she handed me Thora back.

"We are." I smiled back and looked at Thora who was chewing on her little finger.

•••

I let Busy give Thora a small amount of frosting from her plastic spoon the day after her birthday. Busy then fed her real baby food, cooing to Thora like I used to do with her.

"Airplane!" Bust said to Thora as she buzzed the spoon to her mouth, "Open, open, Thora!"

Thora obeyed Busy; it was so cute to watch them together. I had taken tons of pictures and emailed them to Gerard. He loved the multiple framed photos of Busy I got him; it's hung up in our room. 

"Mama, Thora sleepy," Busy set the baby food down and tried to pick her up, "Lookie, she's yawnin'."

I helped Busy sit back and hold Thora, "Rock her gently, B."

Busy yawned too, her small hands barely moved with Thora. Both girls' eyes fluttered and I knew they'd be asleep soon. I made sure Busy was lying with a pillow and I set Thora on the other side of the couch; Busy tends to kick in her sleep. I kissed Busy's head, and then Thora's, watching them both snooze.

I really wished Gerard couldn't been there to see them. I had to take a picture.

•••

Gerard's return home came quick. Busy had even acknowledge that it was fast. Once he walked thru the door, she rushed to him and jumped into his arms; "I missed you!"

Gerard laughed, "I missed you, too. Where's Thora?"

I had followed Busy and saw Gerard walked in with Frank and Mikey. I waved, "Hey guys."

"I came to see the new baby," Frank said happily, "Gimme!"

I handed off Thora, who stared at Frank and touched his lip ring. "She likes you, Uncle Frankie!" Busy commented.

"Aw! I like her too." Frank cooed, then he turned to Mikey, "Look at her."

Mikey looked wearily, almost nervous; "She's cute."

"Heck yeah, she is," Gerard snorted, "Did you guys eat? We're starving." he said to me.

"I already fed B and Thora." I told him, "There's some food in the kitchen, I knew you'd be hungry."

Gerard set Busy down, "I'm gonna eat, B, and then I'll show you the stuff I got you."

Busy pouted, "I wanna stay with you!"

Gerard smiled, "Okay, c'mon."

Frank handed me Thora back, "I'm starving."

I rolled my eyes, "Go eat." I held Thora and saw Mikey, "You hungry too?"

He shook his head, "Not really." he rubbed his neck, "Can I hold her?"

I nodded, "Sure, follow me, it'll be easier to hold her on the couch."

I led Mikey to the couch and once he sat I set Thora in his lap. She immediately grabbed his shirt and nuzzled her face against his neck. Mikey chuckled and pulled her back a bit, "She's cute."

"She's affectionate." I added, "She loves you."

Mikey smiled happily, "I love her too." 

"I'm glad."

He looked at me, "This is all really good for him." 

"Gerard?" I asked.

Mikey nodded, "Yeah. I'm happy for him; I'm happy for you guys."

"Thanks, Mikey."

He turned his attention to Thora, "No problem."
♠ ♠ ♠
A hump chapter...