‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"I can be a little bitchy if I want to."

I spent a few days recovering at home with the kids. Busy kept me on my toes and Thora was slowly starting to crawl more; Busy couldn't wait for her to walk. That's how my days went; I played with my kids and tried not to think of the one I had to get rid of.

That thought alone always brought my mood down. Gerard doesn't know what it's like; having to choose between saving your own life or risking it. He's stubborn and only sees things his way; I wish he could understand. So far, he's angry and doesn't want to see me. He doesn't even want to see Busy or Thora; that bothered me.

Mikey had come over three days after I got home. I was surprised to see him; "Uh, hey."

"Hey," he came in, "How've you been?"

"Better. What brings you by?"

He shrugged as he went towards the living room, "Came to see the girls."

I closed the door and followed Mikey. Thora was in her walker watching cartoons and Busy was eating a pudding beside her. Mikey went over and poked Busy's side, "Hey kid!"

Busy jumped up, "Uncle Mikey!" she set her pudding down and hugged him, "Where's daddy?"

"He's busy today, but he'll be back later."

"I miss you guys!" she told him, "Did you miss me?"

Mikey knelt down on the floor with her, "Yeah, of course I did! I missed you and Thora." he looked over at me, "I missed you, too, October. So did Gee."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm sure he did."

Mikey shook his head, "You guys deserve each other... Both stubborn as hell."

"Your brother is an idiot." I retorted.

Mikey snorted, "Yeah, I know."


A few hours later, Mikey was making Busy and Thora dinner; his favorite mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. I had already eaten, and wasn't hungry. I was really glad Mikey was there to help with the kids; not that they were a handful, they just loved to play.

I cleaned up while he fed them and I started a load of laundry. I was out in the laundry room, adjacent to the garage. I was taking my time putting the clothes in, my mind was elsewhere, and I didn't even notice the side door opening and closing.

"October."

I jumped nearly 10 feet in the air when I heard Gerard's voice. I dropped the clothes in my hand and turned, "You scared me!" I screamed at him.

He smiled, laughing too, "I'm sorry, Sugar. I thought you heard me."

I threw one of Thora's jumpers at him, "I didn't! Fuck!"

Gerard erupted into a fit of laughter. He held the door frame while I glared at him. It took a minute for him to calm down before he stood up straight. He cleared his throat, "I swear I didn't mean it, really."

"Whatever," I grumbled; I took the jumper from him, "Why are you here? Did you forget something?"

Now, a frown appeared on his face, "Don't be like that."

"Be like what?" I tossed the spoiled jumper into the washer.

He looked down, "A little bitchy." he mumbled.

My eyes widen at his words; "My husband berated me while I was in the hospital, making one of the worst decisions of my life. So, please, I can be a little bitchy if I want to."

Gerard's eyes and brow smoothed over, "I'm sorry for what I said."

"Stop apologizing, I'm getting tired of hearing sorry."

"Well, what the hell am I suppose to say?"

"How about: "You're right October, I'm such a fucking idiot. I didn't mean any of the fucked up things I said." That would be so goddamn nice." I muttered angrily.

Gerard's brow creased, "I was mad."

"You don't understand how it was for me, Gerard." I glared at him again, "I have to live with the thought, and I wish I didn't have to do it. You can be mad all you want, but I have to live with guilt. You'll never understand."

Gerard frowned, "I never thought of it like that."

"That's because you're stubborn." I turned away from him and kept parting the clothes.

He came over and pulled my arm, "I am, I know..."

"You hurt my feelings," I pulled my arm away, "I don't even know why I'm talking to you right now."

Gerard pulled me into a hug, "Because you love me."

"Yeah," I pulled away again, "But I'm mad at you right now." I backed away from him, "Leave me alone and go play with the kids."

Gerard frowned once again, "October, please--"

"Go." I muttered, "I'm not in the mood."

He exhaled, "Fine, fine." he leaned over and kissed my cheek, "I'm a fucking idiot, and I didn't mean the fucked up shit I said."

I bit back a smile and didn't watch him go.


I returned to the living room, carrying clean clothes to fold. Gerard was reading to Busy while Mikey was bouncing a tired Thora. I cooed at him, "Aw, the Way boys are smitten."

Mikey chuckled, "I love this kid."

"She's got Mikey wrapped her finger." Gerard chimed in.

"Make sure they get to bed in time. I'm gonna finish the clothes."

They both hummed a response before I headed off to the bedroom. I sorted and folded the clothes, hearing Gerard singing to Busy as he carried her into her room; Mikey was right behind him.

A minute later, Mikey popped his head in, "I'm goin' now; Thora is changed, too. She's snoozing."

"Thanks again, Mike."

He smiled, "No problem. I'll see you."

"Bye."

Mikey went off, I continued to fold and then put the clothes in my drawers. I grabbed Busy's pile and went to her room to put them away; Gerard was sitting at the edge of her bed, watching her. He looked over at me when I entered, "She's so cute when she sleeps."

"I know." I replied; I opened her drawer and set her clothes inside.

"She looks like you when she's angry."

"She acts like you when she's angry." I added.

"I know." he mumbled.

I turned to him, "Are you going now?"

He shook his head, "No."

"Why not?"

"Because I live here." he said it slow like I was an idiot.

I rolled my eyes, "I don't want you here."

"Too bad," he stood, "I'm staying."

"Have a nice night on the couch." I headed toward the door.

"I will." he replied sourly.

"Goodnight." I went across the hall to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really unsure how I'm going to end this. It's all up in the air right now.