Burning the Rulebook on Romance

Courtesy call.

I gazed around the lounge area of the apartment and there was nothing but a couch and TV and a lot of trash; papers, candy wrappers and empty beer bottles.
"Wasn't expecting company. Shouldn't you go to ER with that?" Max motioned to my disabled wrist.
"I'll go later" I shrugged before kicking a couple bottles off the edge of the sofa and taking a seat.
He was back to looking irritated, like I was interrupting something important and he'd already forgotten that he'd damaged me or maybe it didn't matter.
"Ok so I'll get on with my intervention" I began but was stopped before gathering words necessary.
"I'm sorry," he spoke but paused for an odd time, "for leaving you. I regret it a lot."
"I may have become an utter bitch for all you know. Don't regret anything yet," I proclaimed and exhaled loudly.
"If you had you wouldn't be here now."
"How do you know I'm not getting anything out of it?"
"Other than some self-righteous satisfaction, I can't see you getting anything from it. And you're not self-righteous."
"I imagined you'd regret it but what’s done is done," I shrugged again. “You can’t get out of this mediation, kid.”
“You know you should save yourself the trouble. I’ve heard all this before and I’m not about to change a thing I’m doing.”
I tried to think. My mind was a giant void and I was at a loss for words.
“You’re an asshole you know! I don’t know why I came here. I thought there was a chance you could still be a half decent person but you’re not! Everyone was right and you sir are a cunt. I don’t even hate you. I feel absolutely nothing for you. I hope you’re pleased with yourself!” none of those words had I considered, they just came out of my mouth like a receipt spilling from a cash register.
Max stared at me with sadness growing ever more apparent. That look hit me with guilt and after all the bullshit now I felt bad for just that ounce of slander. I wanted to leave the room in case his masculinity broke down in front of me and the situation got worse. At the same time I didn’t want to abandon him, I felt almost responsible now.
“You don't know what it’s like," he muttered.
"Alright, y'know what I can't do this. I can't be nice and tell you everything’s alright. You have to get your shit together. Nobody else can do that for you. You have to want to do it. Your friends are worried sick about you!" That must have been way old news to him. "My wrist is really starting to hurt now so I'm gonna go take care of myself." I got up and went for the door.
"Please don't leave me. I...I mean come back later. Er I'll take you myself." There are few things worse than seeing a respected man in such a pathetic and vulnerable state. It was heart breaking.
"Can you even drive right now?" I asked.
"Yeah. Come on," he looked around the place and picked a set of keys off the carpet. His tone lost its previous bite, like he'd submitted to what I'd said and just given in.

Damn everything had been pretty much perfect for me for ages and now as soon as my past catches up so do the shitty situations. I let Max take me to hospital and got myself fixed up. Neither of us really said anything because he was feeling sorry for himself and we were both uncomfortable. The only reason I let him take me was so he wouldn't feel any worse and in turn I wouldn't feel like a total bitch. The human psyche is too complicated. Sometimes we read into things too much. Turned out I'd cracked a bone in my wrist so a half-assed cast was put on it. By the time we made it back out it was late...how perfect...not!
"I'm gonna head home now. I have no idea what to do with you," I shook my head as I got out of Max's car.
"Didn't the doc say not to drive with that? Besides its late. You should stay. If not at my place then at least a hotel."
"I'm not into this place at all. LA is no good for me." I had to pause and consider what the best idea was. I was favouring my own well-being this time. "Maybe I shouldn't drive. I'm going to get a hotel room. You decide if you're going to take any of my advice or not and we'll talk in the morning. If you want my support then...I will help you."
Hassle was the last thing I needed, it’s hardly something anyone needs, but I was in a position to help and against all reason and sensibility I wanted to try.
♠ ♠ ♠
Point 1: I apologise for the delay.
Point 2: I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has been reading and commenting, especially those who commented recently- they are the reason I got myself in gear to put this together.
Point 3: Another apology for its shortness.
Finally point 4: I will probably end this with the next chapter as I cannot continue writing as my skill is lacking as is my free time. But if I do it'll be one of those open endings like Gone With The Wind or something. Maybe if someone wants to I'll give permission for someone else to carry this on and write a sequel themselves...its highly doubtful anyone will want such a task which is normal. The next chapter will not take six months though, that I promise.