The Truth About Heaven

Part One.

July 17, 2003.
It was a sunny summer day. Savannah wandered through the field of glorious smelling lilies. She felt so beautiful with just the sweet smell surrounding her, bright rays of sunshine beating down. She felt perfect here. Everything was perfect when she was here.
What she didn’t know of was the figure that was hiding behind a nearby tree, watching. Waiting.
Savannah continued to walk along, beginning to skip slightly with joy. What a wonderful day. She loved summer. She loved the sound of the birds singing, small animals scurrying. She sighed with lust. She wanted to stay here forever.
Sighing again, she lay down with the flowers, sniffing deeply. Oh, how wonderful it felt. She listened to the river, water running swiftly over rock. This was her favourite place in the world. She came here often when there was trouble at home, which was most of the time.
She heard the sound of a twig snapping, and turned. She stared at a man making his way over to her. Panic sliced through her. She’d never seen this man before, and she’d met most everyone from these parts.
When the man reached her, she was standing, braced to run. He could see the panic in her eyes and smiled.
“Hello, Savannah,” he said calmly, reaching towards her.
She noticed he kept one hand in his pocket. Her heart jumped into her throat so she couldn’t speak. Who was this man?
She swallowed hard and managed to say, “Who are you?” in an attempt to sound calm.
He could see the fear. It had his blood pumping.
“I need you to come with me,” he said, equally as calmly as his first statement.
Savannah tried to turn quickly, but the glint of metal caught her eye. She stared into the barrel of a rifle. Her breath hitched and she yelled, “What do you want?”
The man grabbed her wrist and started pulling her with him. He could feel her pulse beating as though it would explode and licked his lips. What a beautiful girl.
When she saw the man pull out a pair of handcuffs, she struggled and tried to pull away.
“What’s wrong with you?” she yelled.
The man stared at her face after he’d managed to hook one cuff on her, and the other on his own wrist. “I’m helping you.”
She stared at the man and tried to tug again. She felt the cuff dig into her skin and yelped. She started to yell for help and the man covered a hand over her mouth.
“I’ll have to knock you out if you continue to scream like that.”
She nodded and he took his hand away.
After a few moments of silence, she began screaming again, hoping someone would hear her. The man slapped a wet cloth across her mouth and nose that smelled unusual to her. She began to feel dizzy, and couldn’t think.
Once she was unconscious, the man picked her up and began carrying her. His car wasn’t far from here. He knew he was doing her a favour, but she just didn’t know it yet.
From what he’d found out about her over the months he’d been watching her, he knew she was an eleven year-old girl with a dysfunctional family. Every day she rode home from school on her bike. She didn’t have many friends, or he had never seen her with another child much.
The man hauled her into his car and tied the cloth around the back of her head. He didn’t want her waking up and trying to get away.
She’d be better off with him. So much better. She would just have to learn to see it that way.