The Truth About Heaven

Chapter three.

Frank opened his eyes as the sun beat through the window. He looked around and then checked his watch. It was nearly 10 o’clock. He lifted himself off the couch in the living room. Ashley’s parents didn’t appreciate them sleeping in the same bed together. Frank snorted quietly.
He slipped a hand through his untidy hair and started walking groggily to Ashley’s room. He opened the door and lay on her bed and laughed when she groaned sleepily. When she finally pried her eyes open and say up, Frank got up and kissed her quickly.
“I’m gonna head home now, Alanna’s probably up already, bored.” He laughed again. “I told her I’d bring her down to the creek today, so, I may as well keep my promise.”
Ashley ran her hands over her face and smiled. “Okay, I’ll see you later then.”
Frank kissed her again. “Bye.”
“Bye, Frank.”
Frank walked out of her bedroom and continued on through the house and out the back door. He climbed over the trail he had made through the small patch of woods between their houses and walked through the open field. He sighed as a nice breeze flowed through the air. He smiled to himself thinking of just spending some time with Alanna. He loved that kid to death.
When he reached the house, he ventured to the kitchen to fix up some breakfast for himself and Alanna since he didn’t hear her up. He put some eggs in the frying pan and pulled some bacon from the fridge. He flicked on his cd player on the counter and began to sing to one of his favourite songs.
Once everything was cooked, he fixed up everything and put it on a tray to bring up to Alanna’s room. He nearly tripped over their dog, Pansy. She named her when she was younger. Frank didn’t know why, but Alanna had always loved pansies. He quickly avoided her, and headed up the stairs.
He knocked quietly and when only silence answered him, he opened the door and peered inside. He dropped the tray and could only gape. He didn’t see Alanna, but he saw the blood on her blanket.
“Alanna?” Frank said quietly. “Alanna?” he began yelling.
He heard movement behind her bed, and he rushed over. He saw her sitting there, hiding.
“Alanna…” he said quietly, touching her trembling arm lightly.
When she looked up at him, he stared into her blue eyes, dark and sunken and swirling with emotion. “Alanna…”
He heard the weak sound of her voice, but couldn’t hear what she said. When he stared at her blankly, she repeated, “He touched me.”
Frank stared down, feeling his eyes filling up. “Who?”
“Whatever his name… Mom’s new boyfriend.” Her voice became louder now, filling with emotion. “He raped me, Frank, he raped me. You left, Frank… You left.”
Frank broke into sobs and dropped to the floor with her, pulling her into his arms. “I’m so sorry. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Alanna. I’m sorry,” he repeated over, and over.
Alanna gripped onto Frank. “It was so scary. I wanted you here, I needed you, Frank.” She began sobbing, too, holding on to him tight, not wanting him to leave her.
Frank slowly got up, filling with rage. “I’m going to kill him, Alanna, I swear to God. I’m going to kill him and cause the same pain he cause you. I’m leaving.”
Alanna reached up and clung to Frank’s arm. “Frank, where’re you going?” she said quietly.
“I’m going to fucking kill him. I’ll be back.” When, he pulled away, Alanna slumped to the floor again.