The Truth About Heaven

Chapter four.

Frank all but growled while walking down the road. He had to pause for a moment and close his eyes to clear the red haze that was beginning to invade his vision. He could feel his pulse beating quickly. Who could do such a thing to an innocent kid? He began to tremble with anger, and forced himself to walk on.
He’d be at the man’s apartment soon. And he’d be ready. He checked the knife in his pocket. He took a deep breath when the apartment building came into view. As he approached, he could hear the blast of rock ‘n’ roll music from inside.
He walked up the walkway and looked for his name on the list. He pressed the corresponding button and waited a few moments. When no one answered, he buzzed again.
“What?” a rough voice came angrily. “What’d’ a want?”
“Can you let me up?” Frank asked, trying to keep his composure.
“Who is it?” the voice came again.
“Frank. You’re dating my mom.” And you raped my sister! his mind screamed.
“Fine. Come on up.”
Frank heard the door click open and stepped inside. He looked at the descending numbers on the doors, and climbed up the twisting stairs. Once he reached the room, he knocked. The man answered and looked at him.
“So, what do you want?” he asked.
Frank looked at him for a moment. “Is my mom around?”
“No, she left a little while ago to some friend of hers’ house. That all ye want?” The wiped his nose and sniffed.
“I need to talk to you for a couple minutes,” Frank said cautiously.
“’Bout what?”
“Just, let me come inside so I can tell you.” The man stepped aside and Frank walked briskly inside. Once the man closed the door, Frank turned his back to the man and crossed his arms, knife now in hand. “Anything you have to tell?”
The man looked at the boy’s back. “What are you talking about?”
“I think you know…”
A slice of panic flashed in the man’s eyes. “I don’t know what you’re getting at, kid. If you’re gonna play games, just leave.”
Frank turned around, his eyes hot with anger. “You think she wouldn’t tell anyone?” he yelled. “Do you always go around raping innocent children?”
The man lunged, attempting to grab a hold of the boy’s neck. Frank struck out with the knife and the man stumbled backwards. Frank watched as blood gushed from the man’s neck, and him fall to the floor. He watched as the man’s eyes went from panic and fear to the lifelessness of a corpse.

Alanna slipped through the doorway that her brother had gone through. She searched around until she saw Frank open the door of a room and start to walk out. Their eyes met and she knew. She knew the man was dead. She knew Frank had killed him.
She walked forward and looked up at Frank. “He’ll leave us alone now, Alanna,” he said softly.
“What’s gonna happen when someone finds him, Frank?” She felt the tears coming now.
“No one will, Alanna. Come and help me with the body. We need to hide it.”
Alanna began sobbing, “Frank…”
“Just come on!” He brought her into the room, and they both took a hold of the body. Alanna choked back a sod as they carried him down the stairs. Good thing that place was full off druggies who didn’t come out of their rooms much.
Alanna grunted as they pulled him from the apartment and started through the woods. Once they reached a far away enough spot, they set him down. They began digging a hole deep enough.
After they’d gotten the spot looking the same as before with leave and twigs, Frank pulled Alanna into a big hug. “I’m so sorry this happened, Alanna. I’m so sorry.” He kissed the top of her head and they began walking towards home.