The Truth About Heaven

Chapter seven.

Frank walked through the tall grass, thinking constantly of the girl he had met the day before. He shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed. When school started, she’d probably make new friends, and wouldn’t give him a second thought.
He didn’t want that to happen. He didn’t want that to happen at all. He felt something weird when he was around her. He didn’t know what it was, but he was drawn to it. He felt as if he needed to be with her.
He shook off the weird feeling and stared at a small bird flying by. It was a clear, blue day. There were only a few drifting clouds in the sky.
Frank took his hands out of his pockets and rubbed them over his face. He was exhausted. He hadn’t got much sleep the night before. Not to mention it was due to the fact he had been thinking of Savannah. He couldn’t get her out of his head.
He glanced toward the sound of a barking dog. He walked down the familiar hill to the creek to encounter the same dog from yesterday, and Savannah close behind sitting in the grass. He grinned a little and sauntered over.
Savannah glanced up and looked sheepishly at him.
“You’re up early,” Frank said, lightly.
She gave a short laugh. “I could say the same for you.”
Frank shrugged easily. “I couldn’t sleep.”
“Neither could I,” came her reply.
Frank stood for a moment, watching her toss small pebbles into the water. After a moment he sat down next to her. He studied her profile until she looked up at him and blushed.
“You know why I couldn’t sleep?” When she only blinked and said nothing, he continued. “I was thinking.”
Savannah glanced back at the water and tossed another pebble. “About what?”
“About you.” Frank sighed and started to play with a blade of grass. “I couldn’t get you out of my head.”
She raised her head and studied his face for a moment. “I, uh … me too.” She watched his expression turn to surprise, and then he looked as if he was deep in thought.
“Why do you think we’ve been thinking so much about each other?” Frank studied her again. She was a quiet, peaceful person.
“I don’t know,” she said in a whisper, trying to loose eye contact with him, but failing miserably. Why was she always drawn to those mysterious, hazel eyes? Frank ran a finger down her cheek and she nearly shuddered. How did he do this to her?
Frank moved his fingers under her chin and moved her face close to his. Their lips were a whisper away.
“I don’t know what it is about you, but you make my blood run hot. Even with just a thought of you.” He pulled her closer and his lips whispered over hers in a soft kiss. Savannah felt dazed. Her mind was hazy form the kiss. Her arms moved around his neck on reflex.
His lips were soft, passionate, not hot and greedy, though she knew they could be like that. When he started to deepen the kiss, she pulled away, breathless.
“I have to … I have to get back home now,” she said quietly.
She started to get up, but he held onto her and stood up with her. He put his cheek against hers, and whispered into her ear, “You know this will happen again.” He shifted and moved a finger softly down her cheek again. A small chill fluttered down her spine. She broke out of his grip and called her dog and walked away quickly, touching her lips countless times before she arrived home.