Status: Whisper words of wisdom, Let it be. (:

Left Behind

You Ignored Me

CARTER
“So, did you talk to him?” Aliyah was staring at me as she sat on the guest room’s bed.

I shook my head. “I ran into him in the hallway and he looked like he didn’t want to talk, so I walked away.”

“You’re so depressed.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked Aliyah. She always seemed to think that she knew exactly how I was feeling.

“Look, ever since he ignored you, or whatever it was that he did, you’ve had this attitude like the entire world is against you or something.

“Whatever,” I growled, causing Aliyah to laugh.

“Maybe you’re better off without him. When I first met you, you were independent, and now you latch onto him like he is a gift from God. Take care of yourself, Carter.”

“I do take care of myself, Aliyah. I do. I’ve taken care of myself all of this time, and if I needed to, then I still could.”

“You depend on—”

“No I don’t! Drop it.”

***

Bryce stared at me from the opposite side of the gym. We were at a basketball game that Aliyah forced me to come to. I watched him from my peripheral vision, but every time I turned to look at him, he would look away. I was tired of the charades, and I just wanted to ask him what the problem was.

I walked over and sat in an empty seat next to him. He was sitting alone since everyone had gone to the concessions. He looked at me and smiled a little. “Hey, Carter,” he said quietly.

“What’s your problem?” I asked him. “One day you’re my bestfriend and the next day… you ignore me in the fucking hallway! What’s up with you?”

“It’s a long story.”

“And?”

He sighed and looked away from me. “I was confused.”

“Confused…”

“Walk with me,” he said rising to his feet, walking across the court, and out of the door. I followed behind and shivered as the cold winter air brushed against my skin.

“It’s cold, so if this is important…”

“The other day after I left Aliyah’s house, Kristen was there and we started talking, and I started thinking about a lot of things. We talked about how close we all used to be, and then I realized that I actually did miss her, you know? You don’t just get over people in a short matter of time.”

“Right,” I agreed, or at least pretended to. “So since you miss her, you ignore me. Understandable.”

“No, that’s not it. I guess I really don’t have an excuse to why I ignored you,” he said honestly. “Maybe I was just being an asshole, I don’t know.” He noticed me shivering and took off his sweatshirt, handing it to me. “Here,” he said.

“I don’t want it. I’m not important enough to wear you sweatshirt.”

“Carter, put on the damn sweatshirt. You’re freezing your ass off right now, and you know what? I’m sick of this. I’m not taking shit from you anymore. What I say goes!”

“And who exactly do you think you are, Bryce? What on earth makes you think that I would do what you tell me, huh?”

“You’re so stubborn! Why do you do that? Put the jacket on now!”

“No! I’m not cold!”

“Carter—”

“Bryce!”

“Put it on, please. You’re freezing,” he said loudly. “You’re getting on my nerves, and, frankly, I don’t have time for this right now.”

I crossed my arms. “You didn't have time for me the other day, either. So what do you have time for, Bryce?”

“Carter, don’t take that the wrong way,” he replied in a much softer tone. “You know I’ll always make time for you, but you boss me around like a little puppy. I do everything for you, and you never do anything for me. So, for God’s sake, baby, please put on the sweatshirt for me.”

I took it from him in agreement, but not because he was right, but because he called me… “Baby?”

“Baby."

“I mean, I don’t know if it’s okay to call me that. You like totally ignored me the other day.”

He chuckled and began to gnaw on his bottom lip. “I’m sorry,” he laughed. “But it’s okay, because you look gorgeous when you’re mad. Accept my apology,” he said smiling.

“No, I’m pissed at you, still.”

He grabbed onto my hand, unexpectedly, and intertwined his fingers with mine. I was confused, overwhelmed, but I kind of liked it. He began talking on a more serious note. “Carter, forgive me? I had a lot on my mind, and I’m super sorry. That will never happen again, I promise from the bottom of my heart, and I’ll make it up to you, because I don’t know what I’d do if you ever stopped talking to me. I would probably just about die, so please just—”

I don’t know if it was impulse, or the heat of the moment, but I surprised the both of us, because I kissed him. And he kissed me back immediately. And it was everything I expected and more, because it was the most perfect feeling in my life, and for once, I felt like I was important, and that someone may have needed me in their life just a little bit.

And I was happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Black Birds singing in the dead of night; Take these broken wings and learn to fly.

Hey, there! Are you guys still reading?

WELL, that escalated quickly. This is surprising. Carter, what are you thinking? He's obviously hiding something from you, right?