No One Does It Better

Love me as you lay

My fingernails tapped against the kitchen counter. I stood slumped looking at Jake with pleading eyes.
“I’m sorry Jessie, I really have to go to work” He said fixing his tie.
“Jake, you’ve gone to work every day this week… I need you to be here. I don’t want to be alone.” I pleaded feeling tears gather in my eyes. Jake looked at me with apologising eyes.
“I really got to go” he said moving over to kiss my forehead. I took a step back before he could make contact with me. This whole week I’ve been alone, alone with my mind and all he’s concerned about is going to god damn work.
Jake looked up at me with hurt eyes after I backed away.
“I really am sorry Jessie, but I can’t just not go to work.” He said moving towards the door. I gave him a slight smile as he left out the door leaving me to an empty room…again.
I sat on the kitchen counter, the sound of the clock ticking at the same rate as my heart. I looked down at my car keys. I needed to get out of this house. I picked up my keys and slammed the front door.

Driving in my car was harder than expected. I continuously fought the urge to just go and see Mike. I kept telling myself how much I hated him and how he wasn’t the same Mike I used to know. ‘What if’ was stuck right in the back of my mind. What if we could make something of us? I kept repeating those words he said to me, the words that cut deeper than anything has ever cut, those words that drove us apart. God I hated Mike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Still hasn’t called?” My dad asked as he sat down at the table with me. I looked up shaking my head.
“It’s been a month dad, he won’t answer my calls, he won’t even text back” I mumbled. My dad leant over pulling me into a comforting hug.
“Here” he said as he placed his wallet in my hand. “Go to the store and stock up on supplies…we’re going to make some ‘cheer up’ cupcakes!” He said grinning widely. I laughed as I stood up walking to the door.

I walked into the supermarket, the bright florescent lights burning my eyes as beeping of the checkouts echoed in my ears. I was really looking forward to spending some time with my dad making cupcakes, we hadn’t done this type of thing for years.

I scanned each isle for the ingredients I needed. I ran my fingers on the items as I walked by. There weren’t many people around but the family closest to me were talking obnoxiously loud. A familiar smell hit my nostrils forcing me to fling my head up in confusion... I knew that smell and that voice, how did I know that voice? I glanced to the side and saw something that instantly made my stomach churn…my mother.

She was standing there hands on her hips, god she looked different from how I remembered her, then again, I was still a kid when she left. There was a man who a assumed was her movie star looking husband who was smiling widely at her. There were twin girls who looked around 10 years old with long red hair giving everyone around them this look that said ‘I’m better than you.’ I didn’t realise I was staring until my mother turned to face me.
“Jessica? Is that you?” Her snobby voice said. I nodded my head showing no signs of emotion.
She waltzed over holding her husband’s hands as the two twin girls followed.
“How have you been” She asked. Not like she cared, she didn’t give me a chance to give my answer of ‘pretty shitty, my mother abandoned me’ before she started speaking again.“This is my husband Vaughn and these are my daughters Tracey and Stacey” She said looking down at me.
“Who is she?” The daughters sneered in unison. My mother looked me up and down. I was mentally screaming at myself for wearing a hoodie and leggings. She opened her mouth turning to her husband.
“She’s an old friend’s daughter” She said giving me a glare that said ‘don’t tell them who you really are’
Her husband nodded before speaking in a voice that could have made me hurl.
“Well, that’s lovely but Tracey and Stacey are going to be late for their lacrosse game.”
I didn’t think it was possible to sound more pretentious.
They all turned on their heels. Not even turning around to give me a goodbye glare.
I stood frozen in the same place, not a sign of emotion on my face besides the pool of tears forming in my eyes. She couldn’t even tell her perfect family who I was.

I walked out of the store and sat in my car. I needed Mike. I text my dad and told him I wouldn’t be home until later. The sound of the engine grumbled as I started off down the road. The tears in my eyes were making it impossible to see the road in front of me. I almost didn’t see the sign reading ‘You’re now leaving San Diego’ as I drove past.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is the shortest one ever! I didn't have much time to write but I really wanted to get something out for you guys! I know Mike isn't really in this one, but he will be the next chapter!

What are your opinions? Finally got a taste of her mother!

Thank you my lovely readers and subscribers!

Also a massive thank you to the huge amount of people who left me comments!
confident coward, piercetherach, ILovePotatoes, kardashian_x, CourtneyFaithG , Santi Santi , abc500 , KinaxKills and krisigetlow
I love you all! you're so amazing!