No One Does It Better

Forget the world without removing the glass from your lips

My eyes traced the ceiling as the sun started making its way into my room. I turned my head to look at the clock. 7:00. I contemplated getting up and leaving my warm bed until I remembered who was sleeping in my living room.
Mike.
Thoughts raced through my mind as I thought of what happened last night. Why was it that kissing Mike felt so right? I tossed up comparisons as I glared at the ceiling. As much as I love Jake, I’ve never felt the burn in my skin when he touches me like I did with Mike. Jake’s never hurt me like Mike has though. Jake doesn’t understand me like Mike. But Mike could hurt me again… Jake’s just not Mike and Mikes just not Jake.
Sighing, I stood up to stretch. I walked down the stairs expecting to see a sleeping Mike on my couch. However I was confronted by blankets neatly folded on the couch minus Mike. Confused I walked into the kitchen. My eyes were instantly drawn to the kitchen counter. There was a note left next to a brown paper bag. I picked up the note letting my morning eyes focus on the writing.


‘Jessie,
I had to go and see my parents and Vic and I thought I was probably a good idea to let you wake up without me hovering around your house…especially after last night...
I went to the store and got you some breakfast though…It’s your favourite.
Mike’


I put the note down and moved my gaze to the brown paper bag. The bag made a crinkling sound under my touch. A smile made its way to my face as I revealed the contents of the bag. There was a coffee sitting in the bag with ‘latte: 1 shot caramel, 1 shot hazelnut’ written on the container and a giant sized blueberry and raspberry muffin.

Every Sunday morning when we were younger we would go to the same café and order that exact thing. We always did it, no excuses.
After he left I still went there and ordered the same thing… It wasn’t the same though.

---

I stood in the corner of the room watching as the large amount of people ate food and socialised with each other. I had managed to not completely break down during my dad’s service, even when I was asked to say a few words about my dad. I didn’t cry, it was odd talking about all the great things about my dad…it made me feel kind of happy that I had him at all rather than being sad that he’s gone.

My gaze over everybody was broken as someone tapped my shoulder. I turned to see Vic standing in a suit.
“Looking fancy Victor” I said smiling making him chuckle.
“Same goes for you Grover, You did really well.” He said pulling me into a hug.
“Thanks, I’m glad you came.” I said into his hug. Vic pulled back and gave me a look. “Yeah I’m glad Mike’s here too” I admitted.
“I heard what happened” Vic said trying to disguise his smile. It was easy to see how please Vic was with Mike and my kiss.
“Don’t get your hopes up buddy” I said pointing my finger sternly.
“Too late!” Vic chuckled before turning on his heel.
I watched shaking my head with a smile as Vic walked away. Mike made his way in my line of sight from across the room. I gave him a soft smile which he gladly returned.
I turned back to watch the people as the all spoke in small groups about my dad. From the corner of my eye I could see something that I could comprehend… My mother.
As anger rose throughout my body, I marched forward towards her, grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her outside. When we had finally made our way outside I released my grip on her and spun around to face her.
“What the hell do you think you are doing here?” I snarled.
She looked down her nose at me before speaking. “I came to pay my respects.” She said in her pretentious voice.
“Pay your respects!? Don’t be so stupid. You don’t have respect for me or my dad, I don’t know what you think you would get from being here but I know for a fact that my dad would not want someone so horrible to be here.” I said clenching my fists.
“Don’t be silly Darling, I knew your father very well, I was married to him for a few years. I think I would know that he would want me here.”
Her term of endearment stung with a sense of unfamiliarity. How dare she act like she knew my dad.
Before I could speak I was interrupted by a deeper, raspier voice.
“Don’t pretend like you knew Phil. You might have known him before but after you left he changed. Jessie and I were there to see him change into a better and stronger man and I know for a fact that if he knew you were going to try and come to his funeral he would have done everything in his power to keep you away. Now I think you should leave here and leave Jessie alone.”
I lifted my head to see Mike standing beside me. I linked my fingers with his and I turned back to face my mother.
She looked up at Mike raising her eyebrow in disgust.
“You can’t tell me that I am not allowed to see my own daughter.”
Mike almost laughed. “Maybe if you wanted to see her so much you shouldn't have left in the first place… Anyway… I thought you said she was your friend’s daughter?” Mike said sarcastically.
My mother said nothing as she looked at Mike in shook, I took this opportunity to speak.
“Just leave Anita. No one fucking wants you here.” I sneered.
“How dare you talk to your Mother like that!” She retorted.
“I don’t have a mother.” I said shrugging my shoulders as I turned back towards the door. Mike stood beside me holding my hand, I knew my daddy would be proud of me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat down at OUR booth having OUR Sunday breakfast and the only thing that was missing was him. The coffee no longer tasted sweet, the bitterness stained my tongue. The berries in the muffin were sour and made the muffin damp.
I so busy thinking that I didn’t notice when someone sat down directly in front of me.
“You come here every Sunday and order the same thing. Don’t you get a little sick of the same thing?” A soft voice said. I looked up to see Jake sitting in front of me. “Don’t you want to try something different?” He added curiously. Something different?
“I don’t know if I’ll like anything else.” I mumbled.
“Well it’s never too late to try.” He said placing a drink in front himself and one in front of me and a plate for each of us. He looked up smiling “Who knows maybe something new will better than something old” I felt as if there was a deeper meaning to what he just said.
“What is it?” I asked forcing myself to smile at Jake.
“First we have a hot chocolate and second we have apple crumble. Willing to try?” He asked lifting an eyebrow.

---

“Better or worse?” Jake said snapping me out of my daydream.
“um, better.” I lied smiling at Jake which he returned.
“You always seem to be off in your own world… What are you thinking about?” Jake asked as he rested his chin in his hand. He surveyed my face as I contemplated telling him about Mike.
“Nothing, just thinking.” I said shaking my head. Jake sighed in defeat.
I wasn’t going to open up that easy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Told you I would update more regularly ;)

I hate her mother so much! I feel like this story is starting to be a lot happier... ;)

Opinions?

Since Matty Mullins was so persistent, I will soon be starting a Jaime Preciado story!

Thankyou My lovely readers and subscribers!!

And as always Thankyou to the fantastic people leaving me comments Matty Mullins, Santi Santi, ILovePotatoes, krisigetlow, abc500 and KinaxKills.

Love you all!