No One Does It Better

This whole place is gonna burn

Mike looked a little different from how I remember. Now he had more tattoos covering his chest and both of his arms, his black hair was a lot longer than it used to be and he had piercings on his bottom lip and on his medusa. But besides that he was still the same boy I had always known. As I made the coffees they ordered I could hear Mike having a conversation with the girl he was with.

“So…are you going to tell me who the fuck that was and why you are smiling like an idiot now?” The girl asked in a harsh tone.
“Uh, she’s just a girl I knew before I moved here, don’t worry about it babe.” He answered quickly. Just a girl he knew? That’s an understatement.
“Here are your coffees.” I said handing them over and quickly turning on my heel before either of them could say anything else. Seeing Mike again after such a long time was all too weird for me to handle at the moment.

“Hey Jessie, Our shifts are over!” Kelly yelled running towards me with a grin making me laugh.
“Thank god, I’m so tired. I’ll see you tomorrow Kelly.” I sighed, hanging up my apron. I climbed into the front seat of my car and started the engine. I was about to leave when I saw Mike walking out of the café hand in hand with the girl he was with before. “Trust Mike to date a blond whore” I mumbled to myself before driving off.

“Hey babe, how was work?” Jake asked looking up from the TV as I walked through the door.
“Yeah It was good, I made friends with the girl from the other day.” I said running my fingers through my hair. I dumped my bag on the table as Jake looked at me with suspicious eyes.
“Are you okay? You look worried about something?” He asked getting up from the couch and walking over to me.
“I’m fine, really. I just need to sleep.” I lied, walking towards our bedroom.
“Okay well your dad called earlier.” He said as he sat back on the couch.

I sat on my bed dialling my dad’s number.
“Hello?” a deep voice asked. Hearing his voice made me smile.
“Hey daddy, it’s just me.” I said
“Jessie! How’s the new apartment and job?” He asked getting excited making me laugh.
“Well, you know I’d rather be at home. But the apartment is nice and Jake really likes it. The coffee shop is really cute.” I said sighing
“Just give it a chance Jessie, you might end up loving it there.” My dad said softly
“Yeah, I guess you’re right. It’s just….” I trailed off
“Just what Jessie?” he said calmly
“Dad, I saw Mike today.” I said in almost a whisper. I heard my dad sigh
“Listen, I know you miss him but don’t let that get in the way of things with Jake.” He said. He knew just how much Mike had meant to me and just how much he had hurt me.
“I know dad, it’s just weird seeing him.” I said fiddling with my hair.
“Just make sure you know what you’re doing love. I’ll talk to you later, Love you.” He said yawning
“Love you too dad.” I said hanging up. My dad was my favourite person in the whole world. After my mother left, all we had was each other. I don’t know anyone as strong as him. He managed to raise me on his own and still work two jobs to pay our bills. We understood each other better than anyone else in the world.

I changed out of my clothes and lay down on my bed. Jake opened the door smiling.
“I’m going to go see my parents really quick, I’ll be back.” He said sweetly
“Okay” I replied . Jake really was a nice guy, I was really lucky to have him.
“Goodnight, sweetie” he whispered.
“Night” I replied rolling over to face the wall. I had almost fallen asleep when I heard my phone vibrate on the bedside table. I picked it up to see that I had one new message from an unknown number.

From Unknown:
I was good to see your face again after so long, how have you been?
– Mike

My eyes narrowed as I read the text. I could feel myself starting to get angry as I replied.

To Unknown:
Seriously Mike? Don’t you DARE act like we’re some old friends catching up.

He couldn’t possibly think that we would instantly go back to how we used to be. It wasn’t going to be that easy.

From Unknown:
I know we’re not Jessie, don’t think that I’ve forgotten. We are so much more. Goodnight xx
- Mike

I threw my phone onto the floor before pulling a pillow over my head. He was right. We were so much more than that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weather was the hottest it had been all year and I was cursing myself for not bringing any sunscreen.
“If I get sun burnt I am going to be so pissed.” I mumbled while picking at the grass.
“You could get sun burnt from someone shining there torch on you” Mike said lying down on the ground next to me.
“You’re just jealous that you can’t beat my paleness.” I joked punching him in the arm.
“Do you reckon they’ll notice that we skipped class again?” I asked him while he was rubbing his arm pouting, making me roll my eyes.
“Do we ever get away with anything?” He said as I lay down next to him laughing.
“Your parents won’t be happy.” I said closing my eyes. “And your girlfriend will probably want to murder my ass for this.” I added sighing. Mike scratched the back of his neck before he turned to look at me.
“I actually broke up with Katy yesterday” Mike said smiling. I turned and looked at Mike in shock.
“Why?” I asked.
“She told me that she didn’t like you and that I had to choose between being her boyfriend and being your best friend, so I told her that you were more important.” He said shrugging his shoulders.
“I bet she took that well” I laughed linking my hand with his.
“Yeah, not so well” He laughed as he pulled me closer to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is chapter 2 today, as promised.
This is an introduction to the flash backs.
Please comment and subscribe. It would mean a lot
I hope you are all enjoying this so far and are getting intrigued :)