Status: officially begun(:

Chasing Cars

here's the day you hoped would never come

This is it. I told myself as I watched the cars drive past in a whirlwind of colors. Tonight is the night.

I knew it would be happening tonight. I could feel it in my bones, squirming underneath the surface in anticipation. Eight years. Eight years since I had started coming here at night to watch the traffic. Eight years I had stood here and watched their lives rush by while mine stood stagnant. Four years. Four years since I had first started running. Four years since I had first stepped off of this curb and weaved my way through all those drivers in such a hurry to get here or go there. All of those years, all of those nights, all of those moments where I was soso close to losing had been building to this moment. To this night. The night of the final run.

The night of my final run.

My bare foot left the sidewalk. The road underneath my toes was still warm though the Arizona sun had set hours ago. A loud beep of a car horn sounded as I narrowly dodged a blue Toyota Camry speeding past me. My lips split into a wide grin.

And so it begins.

The horns started coming more and more frequently as I danced my way through the lanes, twisting and turning through the cars hurrying by, my focus on nothing but the way my pale legs flashed under the flickering streetlamps and blinding headlights. And then I felt it. I looked up from the black asphalt, forgetting my feet and their bright red toenails. Lights glared, an expected horn blared, tires squealed and I stared straight into the most beautiful green eyes I had ever seen for one single split second. The fear in them flooded my system, washing away all of my former feelings of glee. And then…Then it came.

CRUNCH.

I went down. The world spun. My head throbbed. Eyelids flickered. A faint yelling. One final flash of color. Green. Beautiful, beautiful green. Then darkness.

Endless darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is just a little teaser/intro. The story isn't actually going to start until end of May/beginning of June.

Carly