Status: Comment and Subscribe and updates will be faster :)

Far From Never

Meas ná Tolorence

“Before you stand four children of two great kingdoms” the king of Stratahema stood and raised a glass, addressing the gathered mass beneath us. All their heads turned upwards once more to look at each of us. I can imagine all too easily, what they are thinking. Some were scheming to stage a coup; some were imagining all the ways to start a war, while others merely stared with blank, murderous looks in their eyes.

“And tonight we begin the first steps in joining those two great kingdoms, Samarthya and Stratahema, for strength and protection” Father joined in raising his glass. Everyone raised a glass in response and mock agreement. No one in the room had the guts to stand up and say their opinion, for my father’s temper was well known and King Marr was not one to be told that his ideas were wrong.

When Father gave a small nod Victor began to walk towards Izaiah and Davina and, without a sideways glance, I let him lead me.

“Samarthya and Stratahema have been enemies for as long as the historians can date. They have always been at odds but only because the kingdoms, both great and powerful, are so different yet have similar aims. They are like two stubborn children, both wanting the same toy but neither willing to share.” Father continued.

“But now, in the face of a foreign enemy, we are uniting; for the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Together Stratahema and Samarthya will defeat this enemy with intelligence and brute strength. By the union of these four children, these four young rulers, the two kingdoms shall stay separate and strong but shall have the knowledge that they will always have a friend to face the enemy with.” King Marr finished.

As the four of us reached, each facing their prospective match, a canon of horns sounded. “May I announce the engagement of Victor Cynwrig, Crown Prince of Samarthya, to Princess Davina Adelina of Stratahema!” my father bellowed and Vic released his hold on me and outstretched his hand to Princess Davina. She curtsied like the proper lady she was and Victor nodded his head as she took his hand. They walked to the center of the ballroom.

Next King Marr’s voice rang out, “May I announce the engagement of Izaiah Ransom, Crown Prince of Stratahema, to Princess Elisha Morgan of Samarthya!”

I face Prince Izaiah and lock eyes with him.

******

Father’s official announcement of the engagement stills rings in the air when Princess Elisha’s eyes meet mine. Her look is cold and proud and I know I will get little else from her tonight, but from me she shall receive the treatment only a gentleman could give.

******

He smiles at me and bows at the waist. I know it is expected of me to curtsy but we all know I am too proud; I do not even bow for my father most times. Izaiah straightens and I simply hold my hand out for him to take. I can feel callouses on his hand from the hours spent shooting his bow and this pleases me a little. It is a comfort to know I will not be forced to marry a man who cannot fight.

“Milady” his voice flows like an archer drawing his bow, slow, smooth, but with purpose, “The dress you chose is a lovely one.”

I keep my head facing straight as we turn and follow Vic and Davina to the center of the ballroom, “You and I both know this dress is completely inappropriate.”

“We also both know that’s why you chose it.” I can hear a smirk in his voice as he continues, “And I would’ve been disappointed with any less then inappropriate from you.” He spun me in a quick turn as the music started.

I stopped with a snap as I faced him and he wrapped his arm around my waist and placed his hand on my back, “Do not act as if you know me.”

“Ah, but Princess, in situations such as these you are completely predictable” I open my mouth to insult him but he cuts me short, “Always out to make a scene and prove to others that you will not conform to what they deem ‘appropriate’. Always out to show that you are above such things, that you are held to a different standard.”

“I suggest you hold your tongue at this moment unless you wish to lose it before the song is through” I stare daggers into his eyes.

“As you wish Princess” he smirks at me. That’s when I know it has been his plan all along to get me upset.

I internally smack myself for falling into it but I will not give him the satisfaction of it for a moment longer, “Flattery will get you neither respect nor tolerance.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've got up to chapter 12 written, but am posting slowly cause I'm not sure is anyone will like it so if you do like it..... comment and\or subscribe! Please?