The Boy from New York City

A Date, A Threat, A Reminder

I open the door to find Sara standing there with a bouquet of flowers. “Hey now, you’ve got your own boyfriend.”

She cracks a smile, “they’re for you. I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“Not getting to witness you stand up the scary-ass guy known as Henry Leighton.”

I step aside and let her in, “it was pretty amazing. What exactly are doing here though? Besides making up for lost time.”

“Alexzander called me,” I groan, knowing that that sentence is just as bad as ‘I talked with your parents.’

“What did I do this time?”

“What do you think? How could you not call me and tell me you guys have a public date!?!”

Relief washes over me that it wasn’t something bad. I was afraid she was here for lessons or something.

“Well if you had been there at dinner you would have known. We planned it right before we walked through the door.”

She pulls me down to sit and interrogates me left and right about the date I’m planning. “You should make him sit through all the chick flicks possible. Make him suffer.”

“Why would I want my boyfriend to suffer?” I laugh at her ideas, “plus I can’t tell you. I know Alexzander just sent you over here so that he’d know what’s happening.”

She frowns, as if I just caught her with her hand in the cookie jar. “But I really want to know myself too!”

“You’re just going to have to wait until your best friend calls with details. Or read about it in some magazine, whichever happens first.”

“Sam, please?” she gave me her puppy eyes which were definitely tempting, “just one little hint?”

“Does that really work on Justin? Huh, the guy’s more gullible than I thought.”

She slaps my arm, “as if Alex doesn’t fall for your tricks.”

“I have tricks? Cool.”

“Hey! You’re not going to change the subject! I want to know about this date.”

“And you’re still going to have to wait until tomorrow. Now off you go, I know you guys are having a family dinner tonight, don’t act like you don’t have stuff you should be doing.”

“Fine. You win this time around. But I expect to know about the next date.”

“Deal.”

She leaves but instead of hearing the door close I hear voices in the hallway, Alexzander’s in particular, asking about the information.

“Alexzander!” I walk into the room to find him acting all innocent, “don’t send your best friend to get answers.”

“No one does surprise dates anymore though. You’re driving me insane.”

“Like every happy ending starts with surprise dates, “Sara points out, getting a blank look from Alexzander in return. She just smiles and waves before heading out.

“Be patient. You’ll love the plans for tomorrow…I think. And if you don’t then oh well, you’ll have to smile anyways for the cameras.”

“Right. You’ve got it all worked out.”

“I do. Now, go make dinner! I’m hungry and can’t cook.”

“Bossy, bossy.” He jokes, making his way to the kitchen. I honestly don’t know what happened that I got so lucky, even if it is a fake relationship.

The next morning I woke up before Alexzander. This wasn’t uncommon on the weekends when he was able to sleep in. Actually, if I didn’t wake him up myself, he’d probably sleep until at least noon. Today though, is one of the days he couldn’t do that since it was the day of our first official date.

I carefully climb out of bed and grab the two items from my closet. I did indeed plan the date(s) for today, but I’m going to let him decide part of it. Kind of like those choose your own adventure books.

“Alexzander,” I poke him a couple times in his stomach, trying to wake him up. He just groans and rolls over to face me, rather close if I may say so myself. It took everything in me to not lean in the couple inches and kiss him. “Alexzander!” I whisper-yell, since I was close to him and didn’t want to hurt his eardrums.

His eyes slowly blink open and his signature smirk spreads across his face, “I rather enjoy waking up to this.”

“Right,” I roll my eyes and back off a little, “ready for our date?”

A yawn escapes his mouth, “it’s,” he looks towards the clock, “seven in the morning and I woke up less than a minute ago.”

“So yes?” I joke, suddenly hyper and ready to start the day. “I promise the first three parts are really, really easy on your part.”

“Fine. First part?”

“Choose a hand.” I tell him, holding the two items in my hands behind my back.

“You’re so weird. Left.”

Pulling the hand in front of me, a pair of ice skates laced between my fingers. “I’m assuming you can guess at this point.”

“Ice skating at central park?”

“Nope.”

“Just curious, what was the other choice?”

I lean in a bit closer, “now why would I tell you that? I’ll just save it for another day.”

“No fun.”

“Life isn’t meant for fun. Now onto step two, go take a shower and get dressed. I put clothes out for you in the bathroom.”

“And what’s after getting dressed?”

“You’re making breakfast.”

He laughs and climbs out of bed, “of course, I couldn’t have you poisoning me on our first date.”

After the quick breakfast we head out. Alexzander instantly starts to walk towards the car, making me laugh, “Where are you going?” I ask.

“To the car..?”

“We don’t have to drive there. That would be a waste.”

“Which means what? We’re walking there.”

“Precisely.”

“My goodness, Sara was right, you do walk too much.”

I roll my eyes and start walking, Alexzander was close behind. About 10 minutes in he was already complaining. “We’re lost, aren’t we?”

“No, we’re not lost.” I lie, knowing that indeed I could not remember where the pond was.

“Right. My girlfriend can’t cook and has the worst sense of direction.”

“shut-up,” I playfully push him and he loses his balance, falling through the bushes at our side. “Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” I hurry over to help him up, only to have him pull me down instead. I guess my strength only goes one way.

“As Alexzander laughs at the fact I fell for his trick, I look around at our surroundings. We were lying on ice, not the ground. Which could only mean one thing, “I told you we weren’t lost.” I tell him with a smirk.

“And where exactly are we?”

“A pond in your backyard dummy. Now come on, we’re here to ice skate.”

I start to climb off of him but Alexzander pulls me back down, “hold up missy, how did you know about this place?”

I wasn’t quite sure on what the answer was; the truth one, or even the lie. “Um, I was reading the house description and it said that the property included a few ponds. So I was hoping I’d find one today to ice skate on.” Wow, that may just be the worst lie I ever made up, but he seemed to buy it.

It was weird because Alexzander’s facial expression kind of changed to being mad but also had a hint of humor in it. “Did you enter my office without permission, Sam?” shit, I didn’t think about that part. Come to think of it I don’t think I even know which office is his. My face must have shown the fear I was feeling because the next thing I know Alexzander is laughing. “My goodness don’t get scared Sam! I was just trying to be mad like my father would have been but turns out I really can’t do it.”

I roll my eyes at his terrible attempt, though it did fool me. “I’ve told you many times Alexzander; you’re nothing like your father.”

“I must be somewhat like him, he is half my DNA.”

Silence overcame us for a few moments. How was I supposed to reply to that? I stare down at him; his blue eyes stared into mine just like the first time we met. “Your eyes.”

“What?”

“You have the same eyes. Well his are darker and angrier looking, but still they’re basically the same.” I explain blushing as the words left my mouth. Something about complimenting him made me nervous.

He smiles and leans up to kiss my cheek, “thank you.” With that we stand up and brush the snow off, “Come on, let’s continue on with this date.”

I start to tie my skates on as I correct him, “this part of the date, it’s not even close to being over.”

“A club? You’re not serious.” It was now towards the end of our date. We had done everything on the list from ice skating to a walk around the park, baking a cake together to a nice simple dinner in the city. And now, it was time for the club.

The paparazzi already stopped us at the park and restaurant for questions at pictures, but no doubt would someone be taking pictures of us now too. I was glad that we set this up and actually had the time to go through with it. The publicity will be good to make everything seem real and they’ll finally get answers to long awaiting questions.

“Yes,” I tell Alexzander, pulling him aside from the huge line. “Trust me it’s a good idea. It’ll show the public how protective you are of me, which in turns shows that you’re a wonderful boyfriend.”

“Whatever. It’s not like we’re going to get in, look at that line! You must be insane if you think we’d get through before they close.”

I laugh and shake my head. How could one of the richest guys in the city not know the power he holds? “You’re Alexzander Leighton. And if for some reason that doesn’t work, I know the bouncer.” I start to walk away only to have him pull me back.

“From?”

“From what?”

“How do you know the bouncer?”

“Work.” I wink and walk ahead of him to get us. It was quite entertaining to hear him chase after and calling my name in frustration.

I approach mark, the bouncer who was currently trying to keep a group of fake girls out of the club. “Hey handsome.” I say, holding back my life as I feel Alexzander catching up with me.

“Same!” mark pulls me into a hug, oblivious to my boyfriend who was standing just a foot away. “You came to visit me!”

I step out of the hug and into Alexzander’s arms. “Actually, I’m here to dance, mind letting us in?”

“You know the rules.”

I sigh. The stupid rules that make me dislike the fact Mark acts like an older brother to me. Especially when there’s someone of the opposite sex around. “Mark, this is my boyfriend Alexzander Leighton.” I look behind me to find a confused look on his face, “Alexzander, this is my friend Mark.”

Mark steps forward in a threatening manner, “what are your intentions with my sister.”

I cover my face with my hands, embarrassed that this had to happen during our date. “Just hand me the passes.”

“but-“

I hold out my hand, “passes.”

“Fine. I’ll be in later to interrogate.” He hands over two VIP passes and lets us through the door. I was surprised that Alexzander waited until we got seated to start the questioning.

“Explain.”

I lean forward on the table, “first off he’s gay. So nothing happened between us and that’s not how I know him from work. You really shouldn’t jump to conclusions like that. He was the bouncer at my old job and pretends to be my brother when other guys, such as you, are around. He’s actually protected me a lot more than I’d like to admit over the years.

“At least someone was around to take care of you.”

“Exactly. Now do you want to get drinks first, or dance?”

“Honestly? Neither sounds very appealing.”

“Obviously you haven’t seen me dance.” I set my stuff down and grab his hand, “Come on, I’ll show you why they paid me.”

I lead him out to the edge of the dance floor just as an Usher song pops on. I catch onto the beat and start doing a classic move; the shopping cart.”

Alexzander bends over laughing at me, “that’s what got you paid?”

“Yup!”

“Then I’m sure I could’ve gotten more than you” It was my turn to burst out laughing as Alexzander starts his own twist on doing the chicken.

Most of the night was spent with cheesy dance moves and laughing. But as the night went on the mood changed and we ended up with our bodies pressed together closer than they’ve ever been before. Our skin practically meshed together as we moved in sync, and because of our closeness I was waiting for the moment his lips would brush against mine. But they never did.

“I’m going to go get some water,” he whispers in my ear and pulls back a little. I nod and stay where I am to dance some more. I made sure I kept an eye on Alexzander the whole time so that if I needed him I knew where he was. This was also a distraction, and not in a good way. At some point a guy grabbed onto my hips. I obviously knew this wasn’t my boyfriend but because we weren’t that close I decided that it was fine. And it was. Nothing inappropriate really happened. It wasn’t until Alexzander started back towards me when the guy leaned in to say something. Talking was not his forte for all he said was “stay away,” and then he himself left.

Stay away from whom? What? Does that mean I’m actually close to finding out the truth about my parents?

“Everything okay?” Alexzander asks, wrapping his arms around me.

I nod against his shoulder, “yeah, it’s fine. Want to head home now?”

“It doesn’t sound like I have much of a choice.”

We were still on the dance floor, his arms around my waist and mine around his neck. But this time we were just swaying to the music, more concentrated on the conversation than the dance. “Sorry, I’m just getting tired really fast.”

“Sam, it’s fine, we can leave. You’re the one who planned such a busy day.”

“That is true, and now I regret it.”

“Come on then,” Alexzander grabs my hand and we head out of the club after picking up our stuff. The car ride home was silent for the most part, I was about to fall asleep but kept being awoken by random questions, all leading up to one. “Who was that guy?”

“What guy?” I ask, not turning to face him. I actually couldn’t tell you if it was a guy or not who I was dancing with, I didn’t look behind me to find out. But it definitely was a guy who whispered in my ear, that I knew for certain.

“Don’t play dumb with me right now Sam! The guy you were dancing with!”

In most cases I would have had some quick remark, saying that it was him I danced with and all of that. I would have teased him a bit more before answering the question I knew he was asking. I would have, if it weren’t for the tone of his voice, one I had only heard him use with his father.

“I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?”

“Isn’t that what I just said?! God Alexzander, we were at a club and you weren’t there. It was bound to happen that some guy would dance with me. We were barely touching!”

His hands tightened around the steering wheel, “You make it sound like it was all innocent.”

“That would be because it was. It’s not like I called him over to dance or anything.”

“Then what did he whisper?”

Well okay, I can see where any guy would get the wrong idea when a stranger whispers something in his girlfriend’s ear. I understand that. With knowing this though, does not make me want to tell Alexzander the truth any more than lie.

“I really don’t want to tell you.”

“Wow, you really know how to make your boyfriend feel better.” We were pulling into our driveway now and I was hoping that that would mean the conversation was over. We’d get ready for bed and that would be it, right?

Wrong.

“You know me better than that Alexzander.” I tell him and then get out of the car to go inside, only to have him block my way.

“Do I? I know you used to be a stripper, which really doesn’t help your case.” My jaw dropped at his words. Did he really just go that low all because of a stupid guy? I think he realized his mistake too because his eyes instantly softened.

“Stay away.” I whisper the answer, not wanting to fight anymore.

Alexzander looked taken aback, as if I were telling him to stay away. I smile at that thought, would he really do that for me? I wasn’t about to the test that right here right now. “What?”

“The guy told me to stay away, and then left.” I tell him again, looking up at him this time, “and unlike the majority of this society, I don’t take threats lightly. People I know and love have been hurt by a simple threat and I don’t want that to happen again.”

He steps forward, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest, “I promise we’ll figure out who is out to get you. I’m sure it’s some spoiled girl who wants me for my money and all.” Alexzander wipes away a stray tear that fell, “now let’s go get ready for bed. And before I forget, thank you for today.” He leans down and kisses my cheek, lingering on the corner of my mouth in a teasing manner. “I had a lot of fun today.

I smile and nod at both statements, but more so about the threat, even though inside I knew that wasn’t true. Deep down I knew who it was and the truth wasn’t the least bit good.
They found me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh gosh, I feel like my transitions in this chapter are terrible and seriously I had too much going on in this, but oh well, I really don't want to go back and edit it right now so it's going to stay like this. I felt the need to add back in the mystery part, why she's doing all of this in the first place. So what do yo uguys think?
Comment. Recommend.Subscribe.Promote.Befriend.Smile.Laugh.Live.
Please.
<3 Justrealizelife