The Boy from New York City

Wedding Bells Are Ringing

I must admit, Alexzander and I did a pretty good job at making it so that Christmas and New Year’s itself would be free for ourselves. Actually, it wasn’t planned at all but neither of us are complaining about it.

Just like every year at this time, I couldn’t help think about my family. This year, unlike others, I at least knew my parents are alive. Or so Liam tells me. But what does that mean exactly? They’re alive, great. Are they prisoners? Are they in some witness protection program?

And how the hell does my older brother know and I don’t?

That last one is the key question of mine. Liam seems to be oddly knowledgeable about all of this. Sure, he’s spent a lot more time with these people and has probably figured things out over those years that I have yet to notice. But still, he’s told me more information than I could figure out on my own.

Of course, there was also the whole thing about the threats. They seemed to be increasing now that Alexzander and I were engaged. Someone out there really does not want this marriage to happen. Part of me thinks that it’s Liam, but I just can’t find it in myself to believe my own brother would do something so terrible. Then again, he said he kept an eye on me as I was growing up and someone did send those pictures to the house. Still, he may not want this wedding to happen but he couldn’t be that heartless about it.

“You okay?” Alexzander asks, breaking me from my thoughts, “I’m assuming you didn’t hear a word I just said?”

I shake my head, “sorry, just a lot on my mind.”

“Wedding stuff?”

“You could say that. Now, what were you talking about?” I ask, trying to change the subject.

He pulls me closer to him on the sofa, “it doesn’t matter. Tell me about these wedding plans you’ve come up with.”

"First of all, our wedding is ours, which means you and I both have to put in our part to plan it.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“And with that said I have a surprise for you.”

He groans, “Does it involve you, me, and a bed? Cause anything else that requires effort from me isn’t going to happen.”

“Maybe later. But right now it involves you going upstairs, putting on the clothes I set out for you, and getting semi-decent. This is something fancy.”

“Oh no, you’ve got a fancy surprise for me? I am honestly kind of scared.”

“Just go!”

He chuckles and puts his arms up in a surrendering position, “okay, okay, I’m off.”

I pulled out the dress I had hanging in the laundry room and changed downstairs while Alexzander was getting ready. It wasn’t often that I was the one to instigate some fancy outing, so his confusion wasn’t uncalled for.

This surprise took a lot of planning on my part, along with sneaking around to get things done and even a bit of money. I know that Alexzander won’t like it at first. He might even resist. But once everything is explained to him, just like the many times in the past, he’ll agree with my decision. At least hopefully he will.

“I feel silly dressed up without a reason.” He pouts, looking more adorable than ever.

“Trust me honey, there is definitely a reason. Now let’s go, I’m sure Sara and Jason are already there, and I don’t want to be too late.”

“Why can’t you just tell me?”

“I have my reasons. Just trust me on this, you will understand soon enough.” I lean up and kiss, pulling back before it gets too passionate, “now, let’s get this party started.”

His ears perk up at that, “party?”

I roll my eyes, “just give it up Alexzander, I’m not telling you. We’ll be there in fifteen minutes, you can be that patient.”

“Fine. I’ll just wait until we get there.”

“It’s not a funeral or something, you are allowed to smile.” I say, climbing into the car and pulling out of our driveway, “or at least pretend to be happy. This is after all a happy surprise, not a sad one.”

“And you won’t give me a hint, will you?”

You hear many stories of a woman’s puppy dog eyes being the weakness for men. That they can never say no when women give them those eyes. But seriously, Alexzander’s puppy dog face is just has tempting and makes it hard for me to not give in. “I already gave you my hint. Think about what you had guessed earlier, on what we were doing. But don’t say it out loud. Just think of it. And with that, our conversation from a bit ago on the same subject. Again though, don’t speak it, just remember. Like I said, it will be less confusing once we get there, right now though, just figure it out on your own. I know you’re smart enough for at least that much.”

He looked beyond confused now. It was almost painful watching him struggle with remembering, though hilarious at the same time. He is the one that brought it up not even an hour ago.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. What?”

“You figured it out?”

“I think so. But—” He glances down at the suit he was wearing, everything now clicking in his mind, “I don’t know how I feel about it.”

I rest my hand on top of his, giving it a slight squeeze, “we will discuss the matter further once we get to our destination. If you don’t want to go through with it at that time than of course I’d respect that. I’m not about to force you into this or anything, that would be quite illegal.”

Alexzander laughs and moves to interlace his fingers with my own, “I didn’t say no, now did I?”

“No, no you did not.” It was only a few minutes after when I pulled into the parking lot and we entered the building. Sara and Jason were sitting there waiting for us.

“Where in the world have you been?” Jason asked, more pointedly towards me, “This fiancée of mine has been freaking out on me for the past hour.”

“So, so sorry, we lost track of time.”

“It’s fine, you guys ready then?”

I shake my head no, “just give us like five minutes.” Jason rolls his eyes and pulls Sara to the side a bit to give us some privacy.

“Explain, like right now.” Alexzander speaks in more of his business voice which I wasn’t used to hearing anymore. It was how he spoke when we first met at his office.

I take a deep breath, “please don’t be mad but I had to go behind your back to plan all of this. It is obvious that someone doesn’t want me around, and that’s not just verbally from Liam, but through threats. We both know this. I also don’t think they will do anything too drastic until our actual wedding ceremony. They are just trying to scare me off right now, and if I don’t leave they will do something—whatever it is. So, because you need to be married to take over the company, I figured we should legally get married sooner, without anyone knowing except for those of us in the room right now. That way, if something does happen to me, you will have full control of the company like you need, and it will be easier to track down the people who are after me—or us. I know it seems crazy, but none of this is exactly traditional. Jason agreed to help me and of course we kept Sara out of it or it wouldn’t be a surprise. They will be our witnesses. And when I say no one can know, I mean no one. Not even your parents, sister, or Liam. We can’t cross anyone off as suspects, especially those who really don’t like me.”

“And what about those two,” he nods his head towards our friends.

“Intensive background checks along with very detailed and correct alibis for each and every offense taken towards me, and in most of the cases they were with us when things happened, so we even knew it wasn’t them.”

“Are you sure you want to go through with this?” he asks, taking my hands in his.

“Are you?” I respond. I wouldn’t have planned something I wasn’t sure off.

“I hate the idea of the chance of losing you before we have an actual wedding ceremony, but I would love the chance to marry you before that risk really exists. I love you.”

“I love you too. Now we’re going to go get hitched.” He laughs as I drag him to the alter area.

“Have I ever told you you’re too smart for me?”

I smile and brush my lips against his, “Oh, just once or twice.”
♠ ♠ ♠
wait, wait, wait.. A WEDDING!??!
hehehe, Sam definitely had a surprise up her sleeves :)

comment.befriend.subscribe.recommend.promote.have a wonderful finish to the holiday season.
<3 Justrealizelife