Sequel: We Will Be Unbroken
Status: completed<3

This is a Rebel Love Song

I think we have an emergency

Ronnie and Sammi ran Marilyn into the emergency room.

"Please, my friend's nose!" Ronnie begged.

The woman behind the glass just looked up at him from behind her glasses. "Calm down, honey. Now what's the name?"

"Marilyn Carson." Marilyn stated her own name.

"Alright, Marilyn. When is the last time you were in the emergency room?"

"Um... I've never been before."

"Alright." The woman typed away on her computer. "Go have a seat in the room right back there." The secretary pointed to the room next to her desk at the back wall. "The nurse will be right with you."

Sammi and Ronnie followed Marilyn into the back room.

"Why did she ask me about the last time I've been in an emergency room?" Marilyn was quite confused. She didn't understand why they would want to know that.

"It's to make sure you haven't been going in multiple times within a short amount of time. If they notice that, they usually will look into your background and home life to make sure you aren't being abused at home or self-harming." Ronnie explained.

"But, I was being abused at home."

"Yes, but they don't know that. You've never been to an emergency room before so they have no need to do a background check."

"How do you know so much about this?"

"Because... It's happened to me."

"You mean-"

Marilyn was cut off by the nurse entering the room. He was bald and had several tattoos covering his muscular arms, like Ronnie. He handed Marilyn an ice pack for her nose. He asked for her right arm and wrapped the black band around her upper arm. The band began to get tighter and squeezed her arm Marilyn's face began to twist in discomfort.

"Sorry about that." The nurse said. "Standard procedure. I have to do this by law. I know it is really uncomfortable." The machine beeped. "120/80. Perfectly normal. Alright, I'll bring you to a room."

The nurse led them to a small room, the walls only curtains. "The doctor will be right with you."

The nurse exited the room and pulled the curtain closed behind him. Marilyn held the ice pack to her nose with one hand and clenched a fist full of the sheets on the bed in her other hand.

"Nervous much?" Sammi asked, noticing the sheets in Marilyn's balled up fist.

"Uh, yeah. A little."

"A little?"

"Ok, a lot. I told you I've never been in an emergency room before; or a doctor for that matter."

"Where is this doctor?!" Ronnie shouted, standing up from the chair he had been sitting in."It's been twenty minutes already! And they call this an emergency room... Emergency my ass."

"Ronnie! Calm down!" Sammi said and she shot her a look.

Marilyn put her hand on his arm. The one touch seemed to instantly calm him as it sent an electric shock through his body. He stopped pacing and just sat back down.

Almost as if on cue, the doctor entered through the thin blue curtain. "Alright, let's take a look at that nose." He took the ice pack from her and began to look at it. "May I touch it?" He asked. "I just want you to know it may hurt a little."

Marilyn nodded and the doctor continued on with his examination while he mumbled little things to himself and Marilyn occasionally winced at the pain.

"That's really swollen." He poked and moved it around a little before deciding. "Yes, you fractured your nasal bone. Your vomer seems to be alright but the nasal bone is cracked. This bruising and swelling is undeniable. We're going to have to put a splint on that. It shouldn't be too long of a healing time. Probably about two to three weeks. I do suggest going to see Dr. Sequoia in about a week so he can check on how it's healing and give you an estimate of how much longer you will need to be in recovery."

"There's a slight problem with that, Doc." Ronnie cut in. "We're on tour right now. I'm in a band and this is my... girlfriend and my bandmate's girlfriend."

"Well, in that case, you are going to want to look up local otorhinolaryngologists in whatever area you happen to be in after that one week. I'll be right back with the cast."

The doctor left the room. Ronnie held Marilyn's hand.

"Girlfriend, Ronnie? Really?" Marilyn looked at him.

"What else was I supposed to say?"

Marilyn rolled her eyes and smiled. The doctor came back with a nurse who was going to go through the procedure of putting the splint on Marilyn's nose.

"Now, it's going to feel a little hot for a minute or so and then you'll feel it start to harden. Once it's hard, you are free to go."

Ronnie tried to hold back his fits of laughter from the nurse's words which his mind had turned into sexual innuendos. Sammi shot him a look, warning him to control himself. The nurse had placed the strange forming felt on Marilyn's nose. Marilyn was amazed at how the felt formed to her nose and became like rock when it had started out as flimsy as paper. The nurse put a small piece of wrap over the white splint and taped it down.

"All set." The nurse said.

She watched Marilyn walk away but noticed something quite different about the way she was walking. She didn't want to stop them and make them wait longer and pay more money so she just let them go but one thing she was positive of: Marilyn was limping.
♠ ♠ ♠
158 readers, 23 subscribers! (: what? haha i cant believe this! so i think i am going to do a sequel but i still want to know what you guys think. would you want one? i've gotten one person who does but what about all the rest of you 158 people out there? silent readers continue to torturer me... my active readers, i love you guys! i really didnt mean for this to drag on forever haha i'm sorry! i just got super into it. and sorry about all the medical terms! i'm studying to be in the medical field so i threw some terms in there. in case you didnt catch on, an otorhinolaryngologist is a nose doctor haha