Status: Hiatus

Of Suspenders and Curls

Perfect Strangers

"I want him."

Liam turned in his seat and faced me. "Are you sure, Lou? Because the last time you chose, it turned out to be a calamity. And that did not include the American and the homeless lad."

I scowled. Leave it to Liam to bring my spirit's down. Sometimes, I wondered who's the mentor and who's the pupil.

"We are searching for a suitable candidate to complete the coven, not pick some random bystander whom you fancy," Liam said in his irritating know-it-all voice.

"You do know that I am older than you, right? And I'm also the one who sired you? Or have you forgotten?" I reprimanded him.

"Honestly speaking, I still respect you as my elder. But you did chose me for several reasons, one being to make you see rationally," Liam replied matter-of-factly.

I sighed and facepalmed myself. I could never win an argument with Liam. Even though he could be an annoying know-it-all sometimes, I couldn't imagine going through the centuries without him by my side. He's my confidante as well as my oldest friend.

Niall and Zayn snickered in their seats opposite mine. Little pricks. They were both sired by Liam. Trust Liam to get the best choices.

I, on the other hand, had the worst of the worst luck ever. Whomever I chose, would either be met with an untimely death or they would leave my coven to join another. Or, they simply refuse to take up my offer.

The four of us were seated at the local coffee house, gazing at the crowd of humans there when a curly-haired boy caught my attention. At first glance, I didn't feel anything different about him. But after a while of staring at the lad, I felt a 'tug' in my mind and gut. I know I'd made a couple of mistakes in the past and those turned out disastrous, but there was something about this boy that screams he's the one.

"Earth to Louis?" Niall waved a hand in front of my face.

"If laser beams were to come out of your eyes, the poor boy would have been fried to a crisp already," Liam teased.

I ignored him. "Lads, I'm pretty sure he's the one," I assured them while pointing indirectly to the boy.

Liam gave out a loud sigh. "Louis, you practically say tha-"

"I felt it too," Niall cuts him off. "He could be right this time around, Liam."

I gave Niall a look of gratitude. Even though I'm not his sire, Niall would not hesitate to back me up if I'm in the right.

"Search your feelings, Liam. You too, Zayn," I pleaded. I gave them my puppy-eyed look which I know all of them couldn't resist.

Zayn shrugged and closed his eyes. Liam rolled his eyes and concentrated on the boy.

A strong gust of wind blew inside the coffee place, startling some patrons. The boy was holding a folder full of papers and he accidentally dropped it, sending papers flying everywhere. I immediately went over to help.

"I'd guess these are yours as well?" I compiled a few stray sheets and handed them over to the boy.

"Oh my, yes. Yes. And thank you so much! That was out of the ordinary," the boy gasped, clearly startled at the unexpected wind.

"Is that homework?" I asked. "You're lucky that it didn't get stained."

"Yes, it's my homework. I'm actually packing up to go home and thought I could do with a take-away cup of hot tea," the boy replied.

I decided to push my luck. "Well, if you don't mind staying a bit longer, would you like to come over to my table and we'll have tea? My friends are there as well..." I trailed off.

The boy glanced at his watch. "I'm still early, so, I'm alright with it. Oh! I forgot to introduce myself. Name's Harry. Harry Styles." He placed out his hand for a handshake.

"Louis Tomlinson. Call me Louis," I grinned, returning his handshake.

Image


Harry was an Upper Sixth Form student and was taking his A' Levels at the end of the year. He preferred to do his revision at the coffee house, saying that the aroma of coffee kept him alert, even though he's not a coffee drinker. Harry's there almost everyday after school and would leave the place around eight at night.

When I brought him over to our table, I realised Zayn and Liam were smiling, whereas Niall was practically bouncing out of his chair. They felt it too. My grin was so broad that it became a toothy smile. I'm not going to fail this time.

Harry was a chatty person, just like me. Probably that's why we lost track of time and left the place at quarter to ten. I left the rest of them back at the coffee house while I drove Harry home. I knew the lads won't need a lift as, well, they can run.

"Thanks for the ride, Louis. My mother however, won't be pleased about this," Harry fumbled with his house keys, panic clear in his voice.

We were walking across his front yard when the lights to his front porch lit up, bathing us in a warm glow. The door opened and a slim, black-haired lady stood in the doorway. She was crossing her arms and looked entirely pissed.

"Harold Edward Styles, do you know what time is it now?" she scolded loudly. "It's a school night, for goodness sake!"

Definitely his mother.

Harry flinched at hearing his full name and he walked even faster towards his porch.

Time to save his arse.

"I apologised for Harry coming home late." I bowed a little. "I saw him studying at the nearby coffee house and I helped him out by giving him tuition." I gave her my most charming look I could muster.

"Ah, oh, and who are you? You don't look an age older than Harry to be giving him tuition lessons," she asked skeptically.

I'm older than you, your son and your entire family's age added together. I smirked at that thought.

"How rude of me. I'm Louis Tomlinson." I took her hand and kissed it. She seemed a bit taken aback at my action. "I'm sorry. I've been brought up like that," I smiled.

That did the trick. I felt her relax and Harry lost his tension as well. "I may not look like it, but I am a university student. I just turned twenty not too long ago." I bit my lip to keep myself from bursting out with laughter.

Lies, lies and more lies.

Harry kept quiet all the time, but I noticed he kept staring at me while I was having small conversations with his mother. It seems like he was trying to decipher how I managed to help him weasel out of an apparent punishment.

"I'd better take my leave now, Mrs Styles. It was a pleasure meeting you and your son." I did a little bow. "And don't worry, I won't let this happen again since I don't think I'll be meeting him anytime soon. Goodnight." I turned around and walked quickly towards my mini cooper.

"Hey, wait! Louis!" I heard Harry running after me. I smirked to myself.

"Yes?" I arched my right eyebrow.

"Umm, listen. Actually, my mother doesn't mind if I hang out with you. So can we like, meet up again sometime? How do I contact you then?"

"Look inside your folder. I left you something." With that, I got in my car and sped away, leaving Harry standing flabbergasted in the middle of his front yard.

Image


I flopped onto the couch lazily once I reached the flat, which I shared with the other lads. My stomach was growling. Liam came out from his bedroom and sat beside me.

"How long since you last fed?" he asked cautiously. Liam knew I got very cranky when I'm hungry.

"About two weeks ago," I replied curtly.

He put an arm around my shoulders. "Then let's go hunting. I'm famished. Zayn and Niall are full as they had their meal after you left. I wanted to wait for you." He smiled at me.

This was one of the reasons why I love Liam. He cared for me so much. He's my first and only best choice I'd have in siring him. I smiled back at him, features shifting.

"A hunting we will go."
♠ ♠ ♠
This story was originally supposed to be a one-shot, but I've got too many ideas for this, it ended up being chaptered instead. I hope it won't be too long though. Probably a mini-series of sorts?

I realise the bromance between Louis and Liam isn't really popular. I love the both of them together, seeing they are my favourites. So I've decided to include a 'LiLou' besides the 'Stylinson', which is the main focus of the story.

Before I go any further, please be reminded that the bromance focused here is towards the brotherly love the lads have for each other, not the gay kind. Sorry. I really suck in writing gay romances.

And of course, please comment. Your comments and feedback is really much appreciated as I know how to improve myself ;)

Thank you! I hope the Directioners out there would take a peek at this.