Status: Hiatus

Of Suspenders and Curls

Truth

"Harry, you've got it all wrong! I've taught you a million times that if it's a constant, the number is fixed."

I looked up from my newspaper to the scene opposite my table. Apparently, Harry wasn't doing too well with his maths assignment and Liam was losing his patience. I put down my newspaper and sighed. Niall gave me a grin.

"Louis, you want to take over now?" He nudged at me. I gave him a lazy smile and stretched. Then I sauntered over to Liam and Harry's table.

"But Liam, I really do not understand this," Harry pouted. His brows were creased and his aura emitted stress.

"I've told you before-"

"Liam, I'll take over for history now," I cut him off. Liam looked up at me and frowned. "About time too," he huffed.

As he was about to leave, he grabbed my arm and whispered in my ear.

"I can't believe you made me do this! The boy is an imbecile!" he hissed. "Nothing seems to penetrate into his head!"

"Liam, relax. You had centuries of knowledge. Harry's only a secondary school student,"I replied in the same hushed tone. He rolled his eyes and trudged back to the same table where I was seated not too long ago.

"Liam's not really happy in having to tutor me, aite?" Harry asked worriedly.

I took my seat opposite him and opened his history textbook. "Don't you worry about him," I replied. "He's actually a very nice lad once you know him really well."

"Why can't you teach me maths instead?"

"Because, I'm not good at it. Besides, Liam is the best teacher anyone could ever wish for," I answered nonchalantly. Harry grunted in response and started his revision on history.

It had been a month after our fateful encounter, right here in this blasted coffee house. I used to like the place, but after agreeing to tutor Harry for his major examination, I'd grown to hate this place with a vengeance. I couldn't understand what it was with Harry and this place, but he had requested to study here almost every, single night.

"Why are you having such an expression on your face?" Harry asked me suddenly.

"Wha-What expression?"

"You have this weird, contorted look. Like, a garbage truck just passed you and you took a whiff of it," Harry explained.

"Honestly speaking Harry, the coffee aroma gives me a headache," I admitted.

It's true. We vampires had very sensitive senses. Everything we see, touch, smell, hear and taste were all magnified. And in this case, the aroma of coffee was driving me insane.

"Err, probably this place isn't the best place to study, eh?" Harry replied sheepishly.

"Well, we don't really have any other choice. As all of us are schooling in the daytime, me and Liam can only tutor you at night. Since you said you can't concentrate at home, that's why we settled here. It was initially your idea to study here," I reminded.

Harry fidgeted in his seat. "Actually, I have another suggestion. Why don't we study at your place instead?"

I stared at him. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

NO!

I almost toppled over my seat. Harry held my arm to keep me from falling.

"Whoa, are you alright Louis?" he asked, concerned.

"I'm fine, thanks. Just a sudden blast of an unwanted opinion of someone," I said loudly, knowing that Liam could hear me. I glared at Liam while making myself comfortable again. Liam's face was pleading while Niall was having a giggling fit beside him.

"Huh? I don't get you, Lou. What are you talking about?"

"You know what? I think that's a great idea! We'll meet at my flat tomorrow, same timing." I happily scribbled my address on a blank piece of paper.

I turned around to find Liam's face was beetroot red.

Good. I smirked at him.

Image


"I've had enough of your nonsense, Lou," Liam's irritated voice floated from the kitchen.

"Liam, not now, please?" I had just stepped foot into the flat, from sending Harry back home. And boy, was I hungry.

I saw him coming out of the kitchen, his mouth, hands and most part of his front all covered in blood.

"What in blazes?!" My eyeballs were almost popping out of their sockets.

"I was really upset and angry with you that I couldn't control myself," Liam answered sadly.

"But don't worry, it's just blood from the bag. It burst opened when Liam accidentally squeezed it too hard while drinking," Niall piped up from the kitchen. I could see him with a dishcloth, wiping the big mess on the floor.

"Liam, please, go and wash up. I'll help Niall," I gently pushed him towards the bathroom. "We'll have a talk later once everybody's back. Zayn is still out?"

Both Niall and Liam nodded.

I settled myself to scrubbing the kitchen countertop while Niall attacked the floor. With our strength and speed, we had the cleaning done in a jiffy.

"Liam's really upset. I don't know how to make him better, Loueh," he stressed.

Niall's Irish accent would become "thicker" if he was stressed or worried. I didn't understand why it was so, but if he started calling me 'Loueh' instead of 'Louis', then something must be troubling him.

I sighed. "I'll go and talk to him."

Liam was cooped up in his bedroom. "Liam, can I come in, please?" There was no answer. "Whether you like it or not, I'm coming in."

I opened the door to find him sitting on his study table. Legs dangling, he looked up at me.

"Why did you have to invite Harry over to our sanctuary?" he asked softly. "This is the only place where we are free to be ourselves."

I took my place near the edge of his bed and sat there. "Liam, he'll be one of us sooner or later," I explained. "It will be his sanctuary too. Not only that, he'll be one of our brothers."

"Not yet. He's still human." Liam countered.

I had no idea which idiot person or vampire made such a ridiculously stupid rule that humans were not allowed in a vampire's residence. The same goes for us. We couldn't enter a person's home without their invitation. It's really ironic to call a vampire's residence, a sanctuary, seeing that we weren't the holiest of holy. In fact, we're the total opposite of that.

We would be breaking one of our codes if we were to let a human enter our home. Yes. Don't think that we vampires were mindless, killing creatures. We live with a set of codes in which our elder of elders pass down from time to time.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't understand why you dislike the boy, but I'm sorry. You have to accept him. Liam, please, you're my oldest and best friend. I need you and the rest to back me up on this." I gave him my trademark pitiful look.

Liam gave out an exasperated sigh. "I have stuck by you for centuries, I can't imagine not having you to irritate me," his lips curling up into a smile. "But I'm running out of patience in teaching him. Maybe that's the main reason I can't stand him, Lou."

I went over to him and kissed his forehead. "I owe my thanks to you, Liam. And I'll make sure that idiot get his math in his head, don't you worry."

Liam hugged me and I hugged him even tighter. Suddenly, he pushed me away.

"Oh dear, I just remembered! There isn't anymore blood stock in the fridge. I finished the last bag just now," he said worriedly.

"Well, looks like I got to hunt then," I replied.

Image


Apparently Niall was still full from his last feed and Zayn had fed while he was out. So, I had to go hunting by myself.

I was walking down the quiet sidewalk, looking for a potential 'donor' when I found her. It's a bit difficult to find someone nearly eleven at night. Me and the lads usually hung around at clubs as there were many 'donors' there. However, I was too lazy to head over to the clubs by myself tonight, so I decided to just prey around the neighbourhood.

We prefer the term 'donor' rather than 'victim' as we don't kill the person whom we feed upon. We drink what was neccessary.

We tend to immobilise the 'donor' by taking over their minds. Me and the lads have no difficulty in picking up girls due to our unearthly beauty. However, lads tend to be attracted to me as well, which I had no idea why. I did take blood from males, but that's when I'm really desperate.

I followed the girl until she noticed me.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you, miss," I apologised. Time to switch on the 'pheromones'. "I'm on my way home. What are you doing out here at this time of the hour?"

"I'm on my way home as well. My brother's supposed to come and accompany me, but I'd guess he must have forgotten," she replied, fear evident in her voice.

I must have really scared the wits out of her.

"I'm terribly sorry for scaring you, miss. It wasn't my intention at all. If you don't mind, I can accompany you home since we're going the same way. I'm Louis, by the way."

She was a bit skeptical at first, but after seeing my "sincere" face, I felt her relax. She introduced herself as Gemma and she's nineteen. In my mind, I kept apologising to her for what I'm about to do.

Instead of heading straight back to her house, we sidetracked to the park. Well, I had to give her a bit of a mental suggestion as she was in a hurry to go home.

We took a seat where it's pretty secluded and I started kissing her. She didn't reject nor stop me as I had full control over her mind now. If stray passersby were to walk upon us, they would have the impression that it's just a couple making out.

I looked into her eyes and smiled. "Listen Gemma, what I'm about to do will hurt you the tiniest bit. I promise you that I would not harm you in any way possible and I shall send you home afterwards. Which, by then, you will not remember anything about me."

She nodded, her eyes glazed. I tilted her neck and started nibbling at it. She was giggling and soft moans could be heard emitting from her lips now and then.

It's time.

I felt my features shift and my canines elongated. My fangs pierced her tender flesh, revealing the sweet nectar which flowed freely into my mouth.

Not too much, Lou. I reminded myself.

I was about to detach myself when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Louis?"

I turned around to find Harry standing still, a look of bewilderment etched on his face. However, that expression was quickly replaced by anger and then, fear.

Because in the midst of my feeding frenzy, I hadn't realised I had shown my true face to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
And the second chapter is finally uuuppp!! Terribly sorry for the delay as I was concentrating on another story (which is vamp-centered as well).

I totally had this ridiculous idea about the vampires inviting their prey over to their house. Usually in movies, they won't be so eager to do so (eg: Fright Night). So I thought, why not these vamps live with a set of rules and Louis is breaking the rules just to get Harry in his coven?

I need comments about this story readers. Thank you so, so much to those who commented!