Goody Two-Shoes

Childhood Memories.

“Mommy, where are we going?” We had been in the car for an hour now and I had yet to explain the situation to Rori.

“We are going back to my home town, your going to meet your grandparents honey.” Rori's eyes lit up.

Rori asked a lot about why she didn't have Grandparents and why she didn't have a Dad like the rest of her friends. I didn't really have the heart to tell her, her father didn't even know about her.

When I found out I was pregnant with Rori, I got scared, I didn't know what to do. I went a week before my mother found the pregnancy test, she wanted me to get an abortion and when I refused, she kicked me out. So I skipped town, I doubt anyone back home even knew I had a daughter, my mother probably wanted to avoid disgrace and kept it her secret.

“Am I going to meet my Daddy too?” Rori asked, I bit my lip shaking my head.

“No Rori.” Even if we did run into her Dad, I doubted I would let him anywhere near Rori. That night was a blur, I had drank so much but I remembered that part of the night. I remembered screaming for help, begging him to stop. I remember waking up alone with tons of bruises. I would never let a disgusting pig like him near my daughter.

“Oh,” I looked at Rori, her eyes casted downward. It stung a bit, it reminded me of when I found out that my parents weren't my real parents. I wanted to explain to Rori, but what could I say?

Rori, I was raped, I didn't want you?

No, because that wasn't true, sure, I was scared as hell, but I refused to let Rori go through what I did. I refused to let her be raised by someone else and at the age of 10 find out her parents weren't her real parents. Every child should be with their birth parents but I also refused to let her know her father was a rapist. When she was old enough to understand, I would tell her that her father left her, she didn't need to know anything other than that.

My eyes spotted the West Chester sign and I took in a sharp intake of breath. It had been six years since I had seen this hell hole, it was exactly how I remembered it. Lots of tree's and hills, peaceful, gentle, homey, the exact opposite of where I had been living. This place was for families, someone looking for a quiet life, where I lived was for trash, people selling drugs around every corner, murders happening just down a few blocks. This was the kind of life I wanted for Rori, somewhere safe but even the safest of places like this had dangers.

I learned that the hard way.

I pulled into one of the local motels just off of main street, we didn't really have much in this town. A local skate-park, a grocery and hardware store, dentists and a doctors office. Nothing really fun other than the skate-park. I can't tell you how many times I hung out in the skate-park watching Bam teach himself new tricks and smoking blunts. The memory of us sitting on the benches, having a good ol' laugh put a small smile on my face. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss this place. I always wondered what my life would have been like if I had stayed.

“By god, is that you Ashton?” I looked up to meet they eyes of the one and only Emma Johnson, the fakest bitch in East High School.

“Emma! My god, it's been forever!” I faked my excitement, she quickly ran out from behind the counter to greet me, pulling me into a hug that made me want to vomit. This was the girl Bam constantly made fun of, he hated her guts. He called her the future stripper saying 'she's pretty enough to fuck but no guy with a brain could stand her stupidity.'

I would laugh and change the subject because Emma was one of my 'friends.'

“Look at you, you've gotten even hotter if that's poss-whoa! Whose this?” Emma asked, finally noticing the little girl standing behind me, looking shy.

“Oh this is my daughter Aurora, you can come out honey,” I grabbed her hand, “Rori, this is one of mommy's friend, Emma.”

“Hi,” Rori continued to hold onto my leg and Emma smiled.

“She looks just like you! So whose the lucky guy who snagged you after you left?” Emma asked and I frowned, rubbing my head.

“I'd much rather not talk about this to be honest,” Emma raised an eyebrow, not understanding but shook her head.

“Okay but how long are you in town for? It's been six years Ash, I would love to catch up....”

“Actually I'm only back temporarily, my mother asked me to come. I guess my fathers sick.” Emma's face dropped and she offered me a sad smile.

“Yeah I heard, told he was pretty bad off. When are you going to see him?”

“Probably later today,” I stated and she nodded.

“Have you talked to Ryan or Bam since you left?” I shook my head, why would I want to talk to them?

“We stopped being friends six years ago Em,” She looked surprised, she was ready to ask what happened but I just asked her if we could get a room. She nodded, helping me get settled and everything before I gave her a quick goodbye, taking myself and Rori to our room. She told me we should go out and have some fun, I told her I would love to but I would probably be out of here by tomorrow morning.

After getting myself and Rori settled into our room, I decided it was time to face my mother. Rori and myself climbed into my beaten down old junker and made our way towards my old home.

“I didn't like that lady,” I felt my lips curl into a little smile.

“That's okay baby, I doubt you'll have to see her again.” I turned onto my old street and felt my heart start to pound in my chest, I wanted to cry but I refused to let it happen. I wasn't about to cry in front of that self-riotous bitch who kicked me out.

I turned into the driveway of my old home, Rori watched me as I sat for a few seconds, trying to catch my breath. I noticed there were three cars in the driveway, one I assumed to be my mothers, the other my fathers and the last was a mystery vehicle, it was nice though, a newer car.

“Come on Rori,” we both climbed out of my car, Rori grabbed my hand and gave it a tight squeeze, walking with me up to the house. I took a few seconds before finally ringing the door bell.

A minute or two passed before the door opened to revile a worn down women with blood shot eyes, she had obviously been crying. My mothers blond hair began to thin and gray in a few places, her skin started to sag very slightly. There was no way my mother would ever let herself become this unrepresentable, I was assuming my fathers impending death was what caused this.

“Ashton,” My mothers eyes began to well with tears, she reached forward, pulling me into a hug, though I didn't return it. I stood there awkwardly staring into my once childhood home. I saw another figure enter the front hall and felt my breath catch as I realized exactly who it was.

“April?” My mother pulled back and turned to look at April, a big smile formed on my face and I ran past my mother, grasping this women into my arms. “Ashton, it is so wonderful to see you again!” April and my mother were always friends, even though my mother absolutely hated Aprils sons. April was the mother I had always wanted. April was Bam's mother and since we were best friends, it was only natural she was a second mother to me.

“You must be my granddaughter.” I pulled away from April to look at my mother, Aurora was hiding behind the door frame and I decided to go assist.

“Her names Aurora.” I stated to my mother, she looked up at me with sad eyes, “it's okay Rori, she's family.” The word family slid off my tongue like a hiss, Rori nodded, stepping forward and accepting a hug from my mother.

“I didn't know you had a daughter....” April stated, “how come you never told me Laura?” I let out a bitter laugh and Rori came running towards me. My mother looked up at April and than back at myself, unsure what to do.

“She didn't want you to know, she couldn't live with the disgrace.” I stated, picking up my daughter and pulling her into my arms, giving her a tight hug. My mother went to open her mouth, to try and explain herself but I caught her off. “Listen, I'm not staying long. I came to see Dad. I plan to be back home by tomorrow.”

“Oh, but you can't leave yet. If Bam or Ryan hears your in town, they'll kill me if I-”

“I said I was leaving tomorrow morning,” I didn't want to be rude to April but I wasn't about to stay either, I wasn't going to face Bam or Ryan, and tell them what?

“Oh please Ash, you've been gone six years, you can't tell me your really going to come and go?” I sighed, setting Rori down on the ground to look at April.

“I've been gone six years April, I high doubt Ryan and Bam even care anymore.”

“How can you even say that!?” April's voice rose, surprising me, “Ryan and Bam were so angry when you left! They looked for you for weeks! They thought it was their fault!! You couldn't even call to tell us you were okay!? All this time we thought something bad had happened to you! God only knows how worried your mother has been these last six years.”

“Tell me April, exactly what did my mother tell you when I left? Did she tell you I ran away?” April looked at me confused, turning to look at my mother I started to laugh again, amused by all of this bullshit. “She kicked me out Ape, I didn't leave by choice.” Aprils eyes widened and I grabbed Rori's hand. “I knew coming back here was a mistake.” I looked down at Rori for a second, she looked scared, sad.

“Rori, go to the car, I'll be there in a second.” Rori nodded and walked out the front door.

“Where's Dad staying?” My mother was crying again but I didn't feel a single strand of pity. She told me the hospital and the room and I muttered a quick goodbye to both April and my mother before walking out the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave me feedback please? :)

xoxo
Libby