Status: completed, check back for sequel

You Got Me Poppin Champagne

Chapter 14

ALEX’S POV

I felt the iron grip on my hand and new she was as nervous as hell. I opened the door for her, as she held Jasey and taking a look at her, I knew Erin wanted me to go first. It was understandable. The last time she had seen her mother…well things hadn’t exactly gone well for her, had they?

Stepping into the room, I was confronted by smiling faces of our friends, my family…our family. And I saw Erin’s mother. Sat in an arm chair near the window. Upon hearing the hello’s and how come you’re late’s from our wedding party, her mother’s head turned. It seemed Erin was swamped by guests and hadn’t even noticed her mother. So I took the first step and made my way through the room. I reached those tight, old and tired features that somehow bore resemblance to Erin’s own youthful, vibrant, perfect ones, and held my hand out to the woman who had broken us down.

“Mrs. Winters,” I said, icily, not meaning to be, but allowing my protection over Erin seep through a little too much.

She smiled weakly and I detected sadness in her eyes.

“Don’t call me that. I never want to be called that name again.”

“Did you and your husband split up?”

She nodded. Great small talk with the in law Alex…brilliant. This wasn’t awkward at all. Well actually, I hope she did feel awkward.

“Can’t say I’m sorry. I mean, I know we invited you here and we’re gonna try and make amends, but you kind of deserve everything you get.” Her dull green eyes snapped up and focused on mine with intensity. “What? You really thought we’d just forgive you? Like that? We nearly lost our baby because of you. Jasey nearly died. You put Erin through hell for just about eighteen years. You don’t deserve forgiveness.”

“I don’t need your forgiveness. I don’t want your forgiveness.”

“Well Erin’s gonna be even harder to crack. I was the one who had to persuade her to even think about giving this a shot. You can’t just walk into her life and expect it all to be okay.”

Erin’s mother nodded. “I don’t. I know it’ll be hard. But I want to try. What I meant was I don’t need either of you to forgive me…I just want my daughter back.”

I cocked my head and looked at her with a little sympathy, which surprised both of us, I think.
“But Mrs. Winters, you never had her in the first place.”

Her head raised again and there was a fire blazing in her eyes. “I told you not to call me that. I want nothing to do with that name. I never wanted that name in the first place.”

“What? Why? I don’t get it.”

The fire in her eyes was replaced with something else. Sadness? Anger? Fear? Wanting to forget? “Because I never wanted to marry Erin’s father. We only got married because our parents forced us. I was pregnant, with Erin. And I didn’t want to shame my family anymore than I already had done.”

Confusion fluttered through my mind. “But Erin loved her grandparents, at least her father’s parents. They saved her…from you.”

She let out a bitter laugh. “I know. The irony. Then again, they never knew that their son had raped me and that was how I ended up pregnant.”

A little stunned, all I managed to let out was a little “oh.”

Her eyes locked on mine, this time, desperation in them. “Please, let her know…I was never the first one to hit her. I always tried to stop him. But he wouldn’t stop. He never would. He hit me too, told me how awful I was for what I had done to him. Bringing a child...it was my fault our life had fallen apart, but it was never really together in the first place. I tried to please him as often as possible, but it never stopped. He never stopped. He beat me up too, he kept on...abusing me in every way possible. He wanted me to constantly be reminded that it was my fault, it was Erin's fault. And I grew to hate her, I forgot I was supposed to protect her. I begged her father’s parents to take her. My parents hated me but loved…that man. I had to get Erin out of there. I had to keep her safe from me. I hated her then, but I just didn’t realise I hated how she had come about rather than her. I’m getting better though. I’m getting help. It’s all getting better. There's more, but that's something I'll tell her myself another day. I just need you to tell her…tell her everything.”

I looked over my shoulder and saw Erin find me with her eyes. She bit her lip and I knew she was breathing deeply, bracing herself to face her mother as she handed Jasey to Sam, seen as Allie had her hands full with Shane and Cass was talking to my parents with Rian.

“Why don’t you tell her yourself, she’s coming over now.”

Erin’s mother shook her head. “No, I need you to tell her. I can’t. I can’t tell her I hated her. It’s too much. But I want her to understand at least a little, I want you to make sure when she walks down the aisle, that she doesn’t completely hate me when she sees me sat there.”

I just nodded, staring at the woman I now saw as broken and somehow being able to feel some sympathy for the woman who had caused us so much pain.

“Thank you,” she whispered just as Erin reached my side.

I felt Erin grasp my hand for support as she faced her mother, and I could feel the fear pouring from every fibre of her being.

“Mother…you got here.”

Erin’s mom smiled a little, probably trying not to cry. “Of course, I couldn’t miss my own daughter’s wedding…I see you’re pregnant again…”

“Twins.” Erin replied coldly.

“Yes…how far along are you?”

“Just about six months. And don’t think about trying what you did when I was having Jasey Rae either. Don’t think you’re coming near her or these babies, not for a very, very long time.”

Erin’s mother bit her lip. “I know. I don’t expect to be accepted right away. I have a long way to go. But…I have been getting better, I got help. I just wanted you to know…well…I’m sorry…I really am so sorry. I can’t…I just…I don’t deserve to have a child…I know that…I’ll never be able to make it up to you…I just…I’m sorry, I’m staying at a different hotel, but I’ll be here for the wedding…I’m so sorry Erin,” she choked out, and pushed past us to escape the air of regret that I knew would follow her everywhere.

Erin and I stayed silent, watching as she left.

“That was so…weird. I think…that was the first time I heard her apologise. I think she meant it, Alex. What do I do now? I can’t stand her, not for what she did to me, did to us, could still do…What am I supposed to do? I can’t let her back in, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen her that broken.”

I looked down at my wife to be, and saw the dilemma reflected in her eyes.

“Erin, we need to go to our room for a minute. There’s something she wanted me to tell you. She couldn’t tell you herself.”

“Why not? Why do you have to tell me? And why not here, now?”

I sighed and took in a deep breath. “Because it’s a little personal so you may not want anyone to over hear.”

“That doesn’t explain why she couldn’t tell me.”

I cupped Erin’s face in my hands and made sure she was focused on me. Her brow furrowed a little in confusion.

“I think…I think she’s ashamed to tell you. Please, come on,” I begged her with my eyes.

Eventually Erin closed her eyes and sighed. “Fine. Let’s go, and then you can tell me whatever the fuck it is she was trying to sell.”

I wish it was only a scam, Erin, I really do, I thought to myself. Because no matter how hard that woman had tried, there was no covering up every emotion she had felt when she had had to dredge up the past. No one is that good of an actor. I couldn't help but wonder what else there was to the story, but part of me didn't want to know. I couldn't stop Erin from finding out though.
♠ ♠ ♠
So after Monday, I may not have internet access because I'll be at my grandparents, which means I may not eb able to update for awhile, but I'll try writing on my ipod and uploading through the college web :)