A Time to Love

Next Step

Matt rang me earlier this morning asking if the guys and I were up for some DIY. At first I was confused, but just by the joyous tone to his voice I knew he was talking about the baby’s room. Every time the man spoke you could see the sparkle in his eyes and most the time I felt a bubble of jealousy pulsate through my body. I knew without a doubt that Jaime was the girl I would grow old with, which meant I wanted us to have that family we had spoken only once about.

I felt ready though I knew a child at this point could make or break us and we were still at that point in the relationship where we couldn’t keep our hands off each other. I knew Matt and Alisha probably had the same idea as us, though this baby was a beautiful mistake which I knew neither one would change.

I was in the house alone after Jaime said that she and the other girls were meeting to discuss the baby shower that they planned on holding for Alisha. Jaime was definitely a ball of fire, never stopping and always doing something. She had been over Jimmy’s house early this morning to get some lyrics down and she had been delighted when Jimmy and she already had two new songs mapped out. That girl never sat down for longer than ten minutes before she was up again, finding something else to do. It was one of the things I loved most about her.

Going back to the whole jealousy, I knew it wasn’t because Matt and Alisha were having a baby, but because it was a next step for them. I moved into Jaime and my room, opening up my closet and shuffling my hands around the top shelf. I pulled down the small velvet black box and lifted it open. Inside was a delicate and beautiful ring that I stumbled across by accident. Jimmy had wanted to buy Leana a new engagement ring since her one was brought at some cheap shop because Jimmy was too eager to propose that he couldn’t wait to find a decent one. He took me along with him and I ended up spotting the most perfect ring for Jaime. At this point we were only living together a few months and not ready for this, but I knew I had to buy it for the future.

Looking at the ring now I smiled. I was ready for this though I wasn’t certain if Jaime was ready to make this huge leap. I knew she loved me, but I was a human being like everyone else, so I was scared of rejection.

My phone began ringing, “Hello,” I greeted, not thinking to check the caller ID.

“Hey babe, is everything okay?” It was Jaime’s beautiful melody voice that filled my ears and I smiled.

“Hey baby, sorry didn’t check caller ID,” I chuckled, “How’s everything going?” I asked, placing the ring back into the place it had been sitting for almost a year.

“Well we have decided to surprise Alisha with the baby shower, and I was hoping to hold it at our house; is that okay?” Jaime asked which annoyed me because she still couldn’t get it into her head that this was her house just as much as mine. When she agreed to live with me, we went out and brought a new home which we could start a life in; yet still she couldn’t see it as her home.

“You don’t even have to ask me Jaime,” I sighed,

She let out a soft chuckle, “I know, sorry,” I smiled at her cute innocence that still surrounded her, even though I had taken that purity from her. “Anyway, I was just ringing to see what time you’ll be back from Matt’s because the girls and were thinking that we should all go out for dinner tonight?” In the background I could hear Leana’s laugh and Gena’s cries of laughter too. I was so glad that all the girls had bonded so well with Jaime and Alisha; it just proved how tight the Avenged Sevenfold family truly was.

“Sounds like a damn good plan baby,” I replied, an idea sparking in my mind, “I need to head over to Matt’s, so I need to get off. I will speak later baby girl!”

“Okay Bri, have fun. I love you,” Jaime replied,

“I love you too,” I stated, both hanging up after saying goodbye one final time.

***


“I say go for it, man!” Matt stated, taking a long sip from his can of beer. I brought my own to my lips and sighed. I had told Matt about the ring and my plans to propose tonight at dinner. I wanted to do it with all the family there, because it would just mean that little bit more to me, but Jaime’s response is still haunting me.

“What if she says no?” I ask, “Or worse; she says yes just to make me happy though doesn’t really want this!” I slapped the paintbrush onto the wall as Matt let out a low chuckle.

“I can bet my whole bank account that she will be thrilled. I overheard a conversation she and Alisha had and she was stating that she was ready to take the next step with you. Whether that’s engagement or not, she’s ready!” Matt played around with some screws to the crib, whilst I carried on applying the second layer of paint. The other guys would be here any minute and I wanted their opinions to.

Just in that moment, we heard Jimmy’s loud voice echo through the house and soon his lanky frame was walking through the door, Zacky and Johnny on his tail. Zacky placed down a crate of beer onto the table and cracked himself open a beer.

“Where do you want us boss?” Jimmy asked, saluting Matt when he told him to get started on the other walls. Johnny was in charge of helping set up the furniture, whilst Zacky helped with the painting.

“So I think Syn wants to pass something by you all…” Matt smirked, knowing I needed that extra push to speak up.

“Yes, you should propose to Jaime!” Jimmy shouted and we all looked at him like how the fuck did he know. He turned around and smirked, “You’re a nervous wreck and I remember the look on your face since it resembles the same face that you had on when you purchased the ring for Jaime. So I’m guessing you’re finally putting that beast of a diamond to good use and I for one say YES!”

“Well I guess that was easy,” I said, rubbing the nape of my neck and smiling awkwardly.

“Jaime is an awesome chick and I already consider her family,” Johnny smiled encouragingly.

“I agree with both Jim and short shit,” Zacky smirked, finishing his can and chucking it into the trash can that Matt sat in the corner of the room.

I knew I could have the backup of all my brothers, but there was still one more person I needed to speak too. I excused myself from the guys and headed across the hall to the spare bedroom. I sat on the bed as I pulled out my phone and selected my father’s number.

“Hey there son,” Brian Sr greeted me, his tone its usual happy and upbeat self.

“Hey dad,” I greeted back, “I was just ringing to get some advice…”

“Sure son, you know I’m here whatever the case or problem. So what’s up?” My father asked and in response, I told him my plans to propose to Jaime. I told him my worries about her not wanting this and I told him about that I was ready to take this step.

“I don’t know what to do, dad,” I said, scratching the back of my neck.

“You know Suzie and I adore Jaime, not to mention McKenna is always talking about her. She’s family and to make her a daughter-in-law would be a pleasure. Go for it son!” I knew my father would give me a straight forward answer. If he didn’t think Jaime was for me I probably wouldn’t listen but I wouldn’t propose, but he reminded me how everyone loved her as much as me and they wanted us two happy.

I said goodbye to my dad and hung up. I stayed there for a moment and just smiled, feeling excitement for tonight. I grabbed the picture frame that was sitting on the bedside table and I smiled brighter. Alisha had decorated this room and had placed a picture of Jaime and her from a recent trip to the beach. I couldn’t help staring at Jaime, her beautiful face was smiling, her brown hair was caught in the wind but she looked amazing still. I wanted to make her my fiancé and soon to be wife. I was ready and I hoped she was too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm a slacker, I know...
But school is officially out for summer for me, so I have a whole six weeks to redeem myself and my writing.

Comment.Subscribe.Recommend.