A Time to Love

Interview

“Well thank you for coming down today, Miss Carson,” Ryan, my interviewer said, raising up and shaking my hand, “You should be contacted within the next few days on whether you got the job or not.” He didn’t give anything away, not even telling me how well I had done or what chance I stood.

I thanked him before leaving the room and rather than leaving the building, I was given a visitors pass so I could drop in and see the boys. Today they were recording and Brian had suggested I pop down and say hello. I knew Alisha wouldn’t be here because of work and I knew she was still coming to terms with the news she received yesterday. When the doctor had muttered those few words, I remember the room had fallen into complete silence. I saw the worry in Alisha’s eyes but you could also see the joy of being a mother. She wanted to wait a while before breaking the news to Matt, but I told her the sooner the better, but I knew she would easily talk herself out of it until she was at last showing.

Someone directed me towards the room, where I gently knocked upon before entering. They were not within the studio and instead were all sitting around on the sofas, sipping beers and joshing around.

“Babe,” Brian greeted, “How did it go?” He asked, pulling me down onto his lap. I laughed and greeted the guys before answering Brian.

“Not entirely sure. He didn’t really give much away, but I tried my best,” Brian nodded and placed a kiss to my temple.

“I’m sure you nailed it baby girl,” He whispered and I smiled at his always praising nature. I sat back for a while longer, listening to the guys jot down some ideas for a potential new song. A few times they addressed me and asked for my input and before I knew it, I was writing a new song with Jimmy who had the creative bug today.

“Maybe you should consider going into song writing,” Jimmy suggested, “You’re really good and definitely more helpful than these guys.” I giggled and nodded. Of course I had suggested it to myself many times, but to be a successful songwriter you needed someone big and famous to sing your songs so you could be noticed. I didn’t have that sort of power.

“I love writing songs, and have since a young age, but it’s not that easy.” Jimmy sighed but nodded, knowing how hard he and the guys worked to get this far and how many breaks they got until she became massive stars. I wasn’t sure if I had the patience like them, but if I wanted a dream as big as theirs, then I needed to start somewhere.

“Oh did Brian tell you about the concert next weekend?” Jimmy suddenly said and I shook my head. “Well we only agreed this morning so of course you wouldn’t know. But yeah, we were asked to hold a benefit concert here in HB,”

“I was going to tell her during dinner, but someone has a big mouth,” Brian joined in, wrapping an arm around me and nuzzling my neck. “This will be the first time you get to witness an Avenged Sevenfold from the best seats in the house; backstage!” I looked up into his chocolate eyes and beamed a smile. I had been to many Avenged concerts with my old best friend Cathy, but never had either of us been backstage. It would be a whole new level for me.

***


I had left the studio not long after finishing up the song with Jimmy. Brian had told me not to bother with dinner tonight because he wanted to treat me to dinner. When I got home I tidied the house until I decided to have a long soak in the bath.

I had been so stressed for the interview and just in general lately, that I relished in the feeling of the hot water enveloping my aching body. I lay there for a while until I began washing my body, hair and shaving my legs. I hadn’t been out with just Brian in a while, so I wanted to feel and look good.

I removed myself from the bath with much difficulty. I wish I could just stay lying within its confinements, and maybe having Brian join me. But I knew if I wanted to be ready in time than I needed to start readying myself now. It took me until Brian returned home before I was done and so I just laid back on our bed as he dressed himself in some smart dark grey jeans and a black button up shirt. He spiked his hair up and applied a slick line of eyeliner under both his eyes. I loved watching him, pinching myself to show that this was all real and he was mine. It would always be surreal to me.

“Are you ready?” He asked, grabbing his leather jacket and putting it on. I slipped into some heels, grabbed my purse and gave him a smile to tell him that I was ready as ever.

In the car, Brian hadn’t yet told me where he had made reservations, but I was quite content in waiting and being surprised. When we pulled up outside one of the fanciest restaurants in HB, I just laughed and shook my head.

“Have you eaten here before?” Brian asked, cocking up an eyebrow because he knew full well that I had. It was the restaurant I was in when my dad and he first met. I frowned when I realised I needed to visit my dad. He had been busier than ever, taking on more work when I had moved out. I guess he didn’t like being alone in that big house, but I sure missed my dad like crazy.

“You miss him?” Brian asked and I nodded, though I plastered a smile on my face because I didn’t want to ruin tonight. “Well I’m sure you will see him soon.” All I could do was nod, getting out the car and follow Brian to the entrance. I stood back as Brian whispered with the doorman, but I couldn’t be bothered to try and eavesdrop. Brian grabbed my hand and we both followed the man to our table that was set up for three people.

“I think you have us confused, there is only two of us,” I said, though when I turned around to address the waiter, it wasn’t just him and Brian standing there, but a familiar face too.

“Hey dimples,” I smiled at the familiar nickname and embraced my father in a hug, whilst shooting Brian a glance. He had planned all this, probably speaking to my father and telling him how much I missed him.

We sat down for dinner and soon conversation was flowing easy. Though the subject it suddenly turned too was not one I was comfortable talking about with my father. Brian and he were back to lecturing me on my job and why I needed to get out there now.

“Brian can support you and so can I,” My father said, “We both know how hard it is to get a job, so why concentrate on a grungy bar when you should be concentrating completely on your dream. I thought I raised you smarter than this, Jaime!” I placed my head in my hands and shook my head.

“I am being smart, daddy, if I wasn’t then I wouldn’t have a job,” I replied, “you always taught me to stand on my own two feet and sponging off you two won’t be doing that!”

“Just quit the job, Jaime and focus on your career,” My dad said, “That place is holding you back and I won’t take it!” He was now looking angry.

“He’s right, Jaime,” Brian added, any support I thought I could get from him was out the window. “You wouldn’t be sponging off me because what is mine is yours. When you have a job in your chosen career then you can go back to being stubborn and not accepting my money, but for now we all want you too focus on one thing and not be held back by something as stupid as a bar job!”

I just stayed quiet, deciding that I wasn’t going to win. I knew I needed to quit eventually, because I could see how uncomfortable it made everyone close to me and yes I realised it was that job that was holding me back in life. I didn’t like living off Brian’s money, but I did have some money put away that I could use until a career made itself clear.