Learning to Fall

Ice Cream.

I studied myself intently, examining the white shirt I had on in front of my full length mirror. I wasn’t sure about it, but it did look nice with the tight black pants I had dragged out from the depths of my cupboard. I did a full three sixty, looking from every angle and trying to decide whether or not the t-shirt highlighted my best features.

I sighed, giving up on me being able to making the decision myself and reluctantly calling the one woman whose opinion I could trust.

“What, daddy?” Ella asked, her head popping around the door frame only moments after I had called her name.

I pointed to my shirt. “Does this look any good?”

She wrinkled her little nose. “It’s alright,” she told me, before disappearing into the depths of my wardrobe. She reappeared a few moments later, a shirt in hand. “I think this one would look better.”

I took the shirt out of Ella’s hands and saw she had picked a black ‘Thursday’ shirt with a yellow dove. I quickly ripped my old t-shirt off and slipped the new one on.

“You could use a belt,” my four year old mused to herself, disappearing once more before re-emerging with a simple black belt with a D & G buckle.

“Thanks Ella,” I said, accepting the belt from her hands and putting it on. I turned around to face the mirror once more, much happier with what I saw this time. The outfit worked perfectly with my ‘this looks like it took five seconds, but really it took half an hour’ hair.

“Why are you dressing up, daddy?”

I whipped back around to face Ella, placing my hands on my hips. “I’m not dressing up, I always look like this,” I said defensively. Ella just rolled her eyes at me, giving a ‘whatever’ look before skipping out of the room to continue getting ready for school.

I scoffed at her attitude and turned back to the mirror. I smiled at myself.

Not bad…

I rolled into work half an hour late, not that it mattered because I was the boss and immediately set out to start my first order of business- trying on every single one of the new hoodies we got in.

Quinn of course was all top eager to help me out with that, trying on a few himself in between helping customers and then refusing to take off a ‘AFI’ one.

After completing that very demanding task, I then set myself up on one of the computers for a grueling game of solitaire. I did occasionally help customers, always very eager to engage in a music debate or tell someone their taste in artists was appalling. However after kicking a guy out of my shop for having the nerve to come and ask if we stocked ‘Human Nature’, Quinn told me that it was probably best if I just played computer. Which I was perfectly fine with.

“Fuck, where is that stupid ace?” I murmured to myself, clicking furiously at the mouse.
I heard someone enter the shop but didn’t look up, far too involved in my game.

“Hello,” I heard Quinn purr and instantly knew that the person was good looking. Quinn always purred a ‘hello’ at customers he found particularly attractive, male or female.
“Uh…hi,” the voice said uncertainly. “Is Gerard here?”

I snapped my head up at the mere mention of my name and saw Frank standing there in his UPS uniform, looking a little uncomfortable with Quinn.

“Frank, hey!” I called, rushing around the other side of the counter and running fingers through my hair. “I’ve got this one Quinn.” I glared pointedly at the blonde to leave, who huffed and rolled his eyes, walking away muttering about me always ‘stealing the hot ones’.

“Hey Gerard!” Frank said cheerily, throwing a worried glance at Quinn’s retreating figure before looking back at me. “How are you today?”

“Great, how’s your day going?”

“So far, so good,” he said with a grin. “How did Ella get off to school today?”

I shrugged. “Much better today. Only one complaint and then I reminded her that Sophia would be waiting and she shut up.”

“Good, I’m glad. Sophia was excited to see Ella today!”

“Aw, that’s nice.” I glanced at the package in his hand. “What did you bring for me today, Frankie the UPS man? Got a big one for me?”

He laughed. “Very big,” he said before handing me a very small package.

I pulled a face. Nothing good ever came out of the little ones, I much preferred the big ones. I slit open the box and peered inside.

“OH hell yes!” I cried, pulling out a little Misfits key ring. How wrong I had been about the little package.

“How cute!”

Frank gaped at me, seeing what was in my hand. “Wow, that’s amazing!”

I raised an eyebrow at him and asked, “Like the Misfits?”

“DO I like the Misfits!? Is Logan named after Wolverine? I LOVE the Misfits.”

I flicked a key ring at him, which he scrambled to catch and smiled. “Here”

Frank just stared at it for a minute before shyly saying, “Thanks.”

I flicked his arm, indicating I didn’t mind. “You’re welcome,” I replied, getting that good feeling inside of me that occurred when you did something nice for another. A moment of silence came over us as I awkwardly scratched my head, which really wasn’t actually that itchy. “So, got time for a tour?”

Frank checked his watch quickly and looked back up at me with a grin.

“Sure.”

I smiled and gestured to my right, indicating for Frank to head over to the CD section to start. I gave him a quick tour of the store, allowing him time go gasp in the right places and point out particular items he found intriguing. Frank took a particular liking to a life sized figurine of Jack Skellington, immediately wrapping his arms around it and burying his head in its chest. After five minutes and trying to lure him away with other merchandise, I was able to convince him to part with Jack, although not without a number of longing glances on his behalf.

“Hey Frank?” I called, sifting through a rack of clothes trying to find a hoodie I thought he might like.

He ripped his eyes away from the Misfit socks and slippers to look at me. “Yeah?”

“Want to come to the park with us this afternoon after school? Ella and Logan want to go feed the ducks so if you and Sophia wanted to tag along, that would be cool.”

Frank smiled at me. “Yeah, that’d be nice,” he replied, looking genuinely happy at the offer. “Sophia would love it too!”

I nodded in agreement. “Trust me my kids will as well, they are already in love with your family. Ella won’t stop talking about Sophia, Logan asked for ‘Fank’ about five times last night and went to sleep clutching that toy car you gave him.”

Frank grinned at this. “Really?” he questioned, his voice going up an octave or two. “That’s so cute…” Frank trailed off, looking lost in his own thoughts.

“So, meet by the swings after school?” I asked brightly, tearing Frank from his trance like state.

He nodded eagerly. “Sure.”

“Dada, will you push me?” my son begged, pointing at the swing.

“Ella, will you push Logan for me?” I asked my little daughter, who was watching the car park waiting for her friend to arrive. “I just have to set the blanket up, okay?”

Ella looked at Logan, who had turned his pathetic pout on her and being the good sister she was, reluctantly agreed.

“Come on Logan,” she said, holding out her hand for him to take, which he immediately grabbed. I smiled at the sight and continued spreading out the picnic blanket I had brought before relaxing back on it. I watched the siblings for a while, smiling every time Ella showed her protective older sister side. Just as Ella was glaring at another brother and sister who were throwing pointed looks at Logan’s occupied swing, I noticed two figures making their way across the grass, one being much smaller then the other.

“Hey Ella,” I called out, “Look who’s here.”

Ella immediately stopped pushing Logan and turned her head around, squealing as she recognised her friend and taking off running in her direction. The girls leaped into each others arms, acting as though they were long lost friends who had not seen each other for a number of years. I noticed Frank grin at this and keep trudging through the grass, towards myself and my son, who was still trapped in the swing. I eased myself of the bench and walked over to Logan, helping him out of the swing that he was otherwise unable to get out by himself.

We made our way back the bench where Frank was now sitting, Logan looking especially happy to see him judging by the way he hugged his leg when we finally did reach him.

“Hello,” I greeted Frank, sitting down on the bench next to him and watching as our daughters ran to the play equipment.

“Hello,” Frank giggled back, trying to pry Logan from his leg, who was currently making quacking noises.

I wrinkled my nose at the sounds. “Logan, where did you learn to do that?” I asked him, referring to his duck noises.

Logan turned to me and grinned, now toddling over to me. “Mikey,” he replied cheekily.

I rolled my eyes. “Figures.”

“Do you want to feed the ducks Logan?” Frank asked him. Logan’s eyes lit up and he clapped his hands, running down towards the picnic blanket.

Frank and I looked at each other and stood up, knowing we were expected to follow suit.

“You’ve done it now, Frank,” I said. “I’d like you to meet your new best friend, Logan.”

Frank just laughed, showing he really didn’t mind the things Logan put him through. I was personally glad he didn’t mind, I knew my son could be quite demanding and didn’t want him to scare away my new friend just yet.

Logan grabbed the loaf of bread we had bought and thrust it in Frank’s hands, before turning and running the remainder of the way to the pond. I sat down on the blanket as Frank followed Logan down, knowing that my son did not want his dad to help him but his new friend.

I smiled, watching as Frank handed Logan a piece of bread, which he instantly started peeling the crust off and throwing a badly aimed piece towards the water. Frank laughed and handed him another piece, the toddler this time actually managing to make it reach the water.

“Daddy!” came a cry from behind me and moments later my little daughter landed on my body with a thud. She giggled and wrapped her arms around my neck, nuzzling her head in. I could tell she was a little bit hyper from all the excitement of being at the park with her new friend.

Sophia shyly sat down on the blanket next to me, watching her dad and Logan feeding the ducks. Ella jumped off me and sat next to her friend, squeezing in between us. We watched the pair by the pond for a while, smiling at Logan’s delight when a duck would eat his bread.

“Daddy,” Ella said after a while. “Can we go and get some ice cream?”

I looked over to see her pleading face, the one that I couldn’t say no to and felt myself nodding.

“All right,” I agreed and glanced at Sophia. “Do you want to come with us to get some, Sophia?”

Sophia threw a quick glance at her friend before eagerly nodding. “Yes, please,” she said, with perfect manners that I couldn’t help but wish my own daughter possessed.

“Hey, Frank!” I called out. Frank turned his head and looked in our direction, raising an eyebrow to show I had his attention. “I’m just going to take the girls to get ice cream, will you be alright with Logan?”

“Of course, he’s a little angel,” he replied and smiled. I gaped at him, wondering how on earth my son had managed to fool this adult so easily.

“Okay, if you’re sure. It’s just over there anyway, so we’ll be back in a second,” I told him and pointed at Logan. “Behave for Frank, Logan.”

Logan smiled at me and grabbed another piece of bread. Frank gave a shrug and a small smile, letting me know he really didn’t mind watching my toddler.

I patted my pants, making sure I had money before grabbing the hands of the little girls next to me and setting off across the park. I was pleased to see Sophia didn’t seem to have any reservations at holding my hand, or being away from her father with a near stranger. As long as her new best friend was by her side, she was happy and secure.

“So, what do you lovely ladies fancy?” I asked, my attempt at being a gentleman going down quite nicely as they started giggling.

“Can I have one in a cone?” Ella asked.

“If you want,” I replied. “Do you want one in a cone too, Sophia?”

“Yes please,” Sophia said politely. I would seriously be pointing out her wonderful manners to my daughter when I got home. We waited patiently in line at the ice cream truck, with Ella shooting glares at the kids in front who also happened to be the same kids who wanted Logan’s swing before. Finally it was our turn and the girls picked out what flavor they wanted, Ella taking much longer then Sophia, who had already picked her flavor and her dad’s.

When Ella had finally decided on the rainbow one, because it was ‘the prettiest’, we made our way back over the grass. The girls made fast work of their ice creams, while Logan’s and Frank’s were left to melt all over my fingers.

Then I heard it, the sound that fills every parent with dread. The blood curdling sound of their own child screaming and crying.

What on earth had my son gotten himself into?