Sequel: Fall Away
Status: Complete.

Trust Me

Chapter 28

We continued walking through the forest for another few minutes in utter silence before I decided to try and make conversation.

“So, you never did answer my question. Where are we going?” I asked.

“We’re going to go find the Careers. Or whatever’s left of them.” Adri explained.

I grimaced. “Do we have to? Can’t we just wait until some other tribute picks them off?”

“No, we have to. You and I are the biggest threats apart from Ingrid and Tam. And if the Careers find out that you and I have paired up, then we’re really big targets. It’s best to get any bloodthirsty tributes out of the way first.” Adri said.

“I don’t like this.” I admitted. “These are the people I had an alliance with. What if they don’t try to kill me?”

Adri laughed bitterly. “I’m willing to bet they were trying to track you down the minute they realized your face didn’t light up that sky on the first night. They’ve only got to wonder how you escaped my attempt at strangling you, and if they can finish it.”

“You don’t have a lot of faith in other people, do you?” I remarked dryly.

“You have too much.” He replied easily, turning around to give me a smirk.

I grimaced at the smug look on his face. “You always think you’re so clever,” I grumbled.

“What was that?” He challenged, taking a step towards me and raising his eyebrows expectantly.

For a moment I considered pretending I hadn’t said anything, but I realized that was exactly what he wanted me to do. “You heard me!” I yelled, overcompensating for my hesitation.

He took a few more steps toward me, stopping just a few inches away. “You know, sweetheart, you’ve got a pretty big mouth for such a little girl.” He lowered his lips to my ear and emphasized every syllable of ‘little girl’.

I placed my hands on his shoulders, pulling him down closer to my level and standing on my tip toes. I raised my lips to his ear just like he’d done to me, my lips brushing against his skin as I grinned. “NO, I’M NOT!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

Adri shot up and winced. “Childish,” He noted with a frown.

“You want to go for another round, 2?” I demanded.

“No, ma’am.” He said with a smirk and a mocking laugh.

I ignored the teasing edge to his voice. “That’s what I thought. Mess with the bull, and you get the horns.” I marched past Adri, taking the lead and not daring to look back. The only proof I had that he was following me was the soft jostling sounds of his knives brushing together in their sheaths as he walked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short chapter -- I'm sowwy! I'm really low on pre-written stuff now, so this week I'm going to be spending almost every minute writing.
Please note: Thursday, May 17th's daily update will not be posted until after 10 PM Eastern due to a class trip. Just a little heads up. :)