Sequel: Fall Away
Status: Complete.

Trust Me

Chapter 49

I fell asleep with Adri, the two of us squeezed tightly together in the cramped hospital bed. Despite the fact that there was barely enough space for Adri alone – given his massive size – we somehow managed to fit on the bed together, and it was the happiest sleep I’d had in a long time (assuming one can have a happy sleep). Adri’s arms were wrapped around me, pulling me to his chest, and I happily snuggled into him without protest as he rested his chin on my head. I listened to the steady sound of his breathing and his heartbeat, wishing I could thank his lungs and his heart myself for holding on and keeping Adri alive. That precious heartbeat, that beautiful sound of working lungs – that was my lullaby.

I was jolted awake as someone rapped harshly on the door. I didn’t have enough time to sit up as someone burst through the door, though my back was turned to them. I tried to sit up, but Adri groggily pulled me tighter to him, groaning quietly as he started to wake up.

“Stay,” he murmured in my ear, kissing my cheek.

I froze obediently. I would be more than happy to stay with him like this for the rest of eternity.

“Adri, we need to run you in for some more tests to determine if you’re going to need another round of surgery.” Said Adri’s doctor.

“Five more minutes, doc.” Adri said, his warm breath tickling my neck as he spoke.

“It can’t wait five more minutes. I booked you in the examination room for right now. If I don’t get you in now, you might have to wait for a few more hours.” The doctor pressed.

I forced myself to wriggle out of Adri’s arms. He opened his eyes to glower at me as he tried to pull me back to him, but I pushed his hands away. I nearly fell off the narrow bed, and Adri swooped forward, wrapping his arms around my waist and catching me just in time.

I sat up and cleared my throat, trying to brush it off, though Adri was fighting back laughter at my nearly plummeting head-first to the floor. “I’m not going to hold you back from getting further medical attention. I’ll wait here for you, right outside your door. Promise.”

Adri sighed and clenched his jaw for a moment. “Fine. But you owe me,” He said with a slight smile, leaning down to press his warm lips to mine. I started to wrap my arms around his neck to pull him closer to me, but I caught myself just in time. I didn’t want to hold him here when he needed to be checked on.

I climbed into my wheelchair and slipped into the hallway, setting the hand brake as several nurses wheeled Adri’s bed down the hall. I saw someone else step out of the room and was surprised to see Finnick looking rather sullen. I didn’t remember seeing him in the room, but I wondered if he’d just been there the whole time, hidden behind nurses and doctors.

Finnick took a seat in one of the waiting chairs next to my wheelchair, and I felt overcome with the need to break the silence, but I couldn’t find anything to say. We sat there in silence for what felt like an eternity, and I was debating just opening my mouth to see what words fell out, hoping they were the right ones to end the awkward silence.

Finnick was the one who beat me to it. “Winnie, can I ask you something?”

“You just did,” I pointed out, making a lame attempt at a light-hearted joke. He shot me a look, and I cleared my throat and blushed awkwardly. “Um, I mean, sure.”

“If everything had gone as planned – if you’d been in an alliance with Parq and Terra and the others, and you’d never even met Adri -- where would we be?” Finnick asked softly.

I tried to picture it. If Adri hadn’t ever been a part of my experience at the Games, if I’d won without forming any bonds or falling in love with anyone, what would Finnick have been to me? “I don’t want to think about where I’d be without Adri.” I murmured. I knew it was the last thing Finnick wanted to hear, but it had to be said. I couldn’t try and lead Finnick on now only to crush him later.

“I know, but can’t you try to imagine it from my perspective? I had always pictured you winning, running out of that arena into my arms. I would kiss you like the world was ending, like everything around us was burning down and nothing else existed – just like I’d wanted to do since the second you stepped foot in that arena. We’d be inseparable. I’d devote every second of my life to you, just trying to make you happy. I’d ask for nothing in return, other than your company.” Finnick said softly.

My mouth felt dry as cotton. “I’m sorry.” I whispered. I went to try and wheel away, only to discover that the brake was still set. I didn’t want to try and fumble with it, so I got to my feet. I was just about to turn away when Finnick’s hands clamped down on my shoulders, securing me in place. Before I knew what was going on, his lips were on mine. I froze, wanting to scream but unable to find my voice. His lips were familiar. They had comforted me with soothing words and playful kisses before I’d entered the arena, and it was like returning to a safe zone in the middle of a war. But Finnick was just that; a safe zone in a war. Adri was home to me.

I could feel Finnick’s lips quivering against mine as I didn’t kiss him back – it was almost as if he were fighting back tears. I turned away and gently pried his hands off my shoulders. “I’m sorry, Finnick. I can’t do this. Even if he wanted nothing to do with me, even if he said that everything that had happened in the arena was a lie, I still couldn’t do this with you. It’s absurd, but it’s how I feel. I love him with every cell in my body.”

Finnick opened his mouth to reply, but his eyes flickered over my shoulder, and he took a step back. “Oh,” He said simply.

I whirled around to see Adri standing in the hallway shirtless, his wound covered in fresh bandages but the rest of his chest uncovered. His jaw was clenched and his eyes narrowed into a glare as he stared over my shoulder at Finnick.

“What the hell are you doing?” He said, his voice low and even, but I could hear the poisonous rage boiling under the surface. He straightened up and clenched his hands into fists. His muscles flexed, and he seemed to almost swell, every single huge muscle in his body defining itself. He looked furious and intimidating, whether he meant to look like that or if it was just a subconscious reflex.

“Winnie and I were just having a little discussion.” Finnick said, rolling his eyes. He didn’t seem too pleased with Adri, either.

“If you have another little ‘discussion’ like that with her ever again, I’ll break every bone in your body.” Adri growled.

“What, can’t she just give me a little kiss goodbye?” Finnick said with a scoff. He sounded numb, and I could tell he didn’t like it that Adri had seen what had just happened between us. He seemed to size Adri up as if challenging Adri to take a swing at him, and I began to wonder if they were actually going to fight.

“If she wants to kiss you, then that’s her business. After what she’s been through, she deserves everything and anything her damn heart desires. However, I was standing here long enough to know that she wanted no part of that kiss. I don’t care who you are, if you dare set so much as one finger on her without her permission, I’ll do everything in my power to destroy you. Are we clear?” Adri said, pulling me behind him protectively as he met Finnick’s unspoken challenge.

“Crystal,” Finnick said with a slight smirk, lingering a moment longer before turning away and heading off, disappearing around the corner. My heart ached for Finnick. I hadn’t ever suspected that he’d liked me, other than wishful thinking before I’d entered the arena. And now that he’d finally confessed his feelings, I’d turned him down in front of the man I was rejecting him for. Finnick had been there for me and he had been everything I needed before the Games, but I couldn’t bring myself to love him.

Adri turned around, and I half expected him to glare at me as well, but he just pulled me to his chest. “Are you okay?” He asked.

I realized I was crying, and I quickly sniffled the tears back. “I’m fine.” I promised, swatting him away. How weak was I, to cry when Adri was the one who was actually physically injured? “Now, what are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in an examination room, and instead you’re out here picking fights.”

"I persuaded the doctor to let you stay with me. Assuming you want to, of course." He explained, brushing his thumb across my cheek to wipe off a tear.

"Yes." I blurted out suddenly, almost cutting him off.

Adri chuckled. "Now, get back in your wheelchair."

I frowned. "But I don't want to." I muttered, and I could hear the annoying whiny edge to my voice.

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm not going to that examination room until you get in your wheelchair." He challenged.

I shrugged. "Fine by me. They'll just have security come and drag you in."

He paused and nodded. "Good point. Then I can do the same with you." He scooped me in up in his arms and spun around as if trying to make me dizzy before placing me in the wheelchair.

My head was still spinning. I had been too hopped up on sedatives to handle being spun around like that without becoming extremely disoriented -- which was probably exactly what Adri had been hoping for. "That's cheating."

"No, that's evening the playing field." He said, and I could hear the smirk in his voice as he stepped behind the chair, released the brake and started to push me down the hall.

"You're not supposed to strain yourself. Picking me up counts as straining yourself. You're supposed to be healing, not making your injury worse." I snapped, whirling around and trying to stand up.

Adri planted a hand on my shoulder firmly and pushed me back down into the chair. "Stay down. Don't think I won't tie you up again."

"I'm very angry with you right now." I announced, crossing my arms over my chest and making a face, though he couldn't see it.

He chuckled. "I'm terrified," He said sarcastically as he turned into an open examination room. The doctor was sitting patiently in front of a computer with Adri's files brought up on the screen, and as soon as we came through the door he stood up.

"Hello, Miss Nova." The doctor said, holding out a hand.

I shook it, caught a little off-guard. "Please, call me Winnie." I said.

He nodded. "I'm glad you're here. Adri wouldn't co-operate with us at all unless you were here."

I turned to glare at Adri, who simply shrugged and gave me a smug grin. "Well, Adri can really be an idiot sometimes." I grumbled.

The doctor cleared his throat awkwardly. "Yes, well.." He said, letting his sentence trail off.

Adri hopped onto the examination table and I parked myself against the wall, giving the doctor enough room to hover over Adri. I heard a ripping sound, and a moment later the doctor had thrown Adri's bandages off to the side.

"It's still not infected, so that's a good sign." The doctor said.

"Of course it's not infected. I swear the nurses spend at least 4 hours of every day smearing me in antibiotic salves or forcing antibiotic pills down my throat." Adri grumbled.

The doctor chuckled. "It's all for the best in the long run." He said, snapping a pair of gloves on and pulling out some thin black plastic device. He waved it over Adri's stomach, leaning in to look at the surface of the device. "The surgery on your intestines looks like it's doing well. Stitches are healing properly, bleeding has lessened, plenty of healthy blood cells healing up the injury. Your stomach is looking a lot better than it did yesterday afternoon. So long as you take it easy and don't physically strain yourself over the next few days or so, we shouldn't need to operate any more. The main concern is healing up the external wound. The cut keeps reopening."

Adri grimaced. "Any chance that exercise and fresh air will help heal it?" He muttered, not sounding hopeful.

The doctor shook his head. "I've set up another appointment for us in two days. Until then, you're on strict bed rest. I don't even want you sitting up."

Adri groaned. "That's cruel."

"Well.." The doctor began, pausing. "There might be another method. There's no guarantee it'll be compatible with your injury, but we could always try the same salve that we used on Miss Nova."

I was about to correct the doctor and tell him to call me Winnie, but I realized that it wasn't important.

"Yes." Adri said firmly.

"There's more to it than that. There's no guarantee it'll work on you." The doctor said.

"I want the salve." Adri said.

"Your wound is much different than Miss Nova's. It could have a negative impact." The doctor warned.

"I want it." He pressed.

"It could--" The doctor began.

"Doc, nothing you can say would change my mind. How soon would I start to see results?" Adri asked.

"Overnight. If it works as it should, in less than 12 hours your wound should be completely healed shut. You'll have to apply it every day for two weeks. If you stop before then, the wound can reopen and cause all sorts of trouble." The doctor said, jotting down a prescription and handing it reluctantly over to Adri.

"Understood." Adri said with a nod. He turned to me and flashed me a grin and a thumbs-up.

I wanted to frown at him and stay mad, but a grin fought its way onto my face. I never could stay mad at him.

By the end of the week, Adri and I were cleared from the hospital and given a clean bill of health. All of Adri's wounds -- internal and external -- had healed perfectly and unprecedentedly fast, and I was weaned off all the painkillers and sedatives. I hadn't seen Adri much since his doctor's appointment; instead I'd had to ask my nurses to talk to his doctor and give me updates.

When I was told that Adri had been discharged and was waiting for me by the main entrance of the hospital, I couldn't move fast enough. I had no belongings in the hospital apart from the tapes of the Games and a pair of regular clothes that one of the nurses had picked out for me. I changed quickly and stuffed the discs in my pocket, barely taking the time to wave good-bye to my nurses before running into the elevator.

The doors opened, and I ran out, my eyes searching for Adri. He'd said he would be waiting for me by the front automatic doors, but there was nobody there. I glanced around and my stomach dropped as I saw President Snow sitting in the corner of the foyer.

Something was wrong. President Snow was here and Adri wasn't. What if President Snow had changed his mind? What if he decided that there could only be one victor? He could make Adri’s murder look innocent enough -- all he had to do was say that Adri didn't make it through treatment. It could be covered up easily.

A pair of arms clasped across my chest from behind me. I froze and prepared to elbow whoever it was in the ribs when someone's face nuzzled into my neck. "Hello, Miss Nova." Adri murmured, his faint stubble scratching across the delicate skin of my neck. He kissed and nibbled at my neck, pulling my back tightly to his chest.

My knees grew weak, though I wasn't sure if it was from him nipping gently at my neck or from knowing he was safe and that it hadn't been some stranger attacking me from behind. "You terrified me." I accused, but my voice sounded like an airy whisper. I couldn't muster up enough strength to make my voice as irritated as I wanted it to be.

"That was kind of the point, sweetheart." He chuckled and the vibrations against my throat made me shiver.

"President Snow is here." I said, my voice still a whisper. I needed to get my priorities in order before I gave myself in to Adri, as it was so easy for me to do lately.

Adri stopped nibbling at my neck, his hands dropping to his side as he released me. He took a step forward as he pulled me behind him. "Where?" He asked, his voice suddenly dark.

"There, in the corner." I said, reaching a hand over Adri's shoulder to point to him. President Snow waved at me, and I froze as I realized he'd been watching us the entire time.

"Stay behind me," Adri growled, keeping one hand on my wrist as he took off towards President Snow. He moved so fast that he was practically dragging me behind him, but I tried to stumble along behind him and meet his pace as best as I could.

"Hello, Winnie and Adri." President Snow said with a nod. He gestured to the two chairs in front of him with a sweeping motion of his arms. "Care to take a seat?"

"No, thanks. We're on a bit of a tight schedule." Adri said, his voice tight.

"Understood." President Snow said with a nod. He stuck a hand inside the breast pocket of his suit and fished out an envelope. "However, I think you'll need this before you do anything."

Adri tentatively reached out and took the envelope, peeking in through the top to see what was inside. "What is this?" He asked.

"Everything Miss Nova needs to get to District 1. A passport, a train ticket, and new proof of citizenship. We've made you an official citizen of District 1." President Snow said with a tight smile.

I frowned. "I've already got a train ticket and a passport." I said.

"That train ticket would take you to the District you came from, not Adri's District. And your passport said you were from District 4 -- which you aren't, anymore." He explained, taking a sip of tea from a small china cup in front of him. "Why, is this a problem? I'd assume that a young couple such as yourselves who are so very much in love would have no problem living together."

Adri cast a glance at me over my shoulder, a concerned look on his face. He turned back to President Snow and started to speak, but I cut him off.

"There's no problem. I'm ecstatic about moving in with Adri. I was just surprised how quickly all the paperwork was completed." I said firmly.

Adri turned back to face me, his eyes growing wide. His mouth opened as he tried to speak, but no words seemed to be able to force themselves out of his mouth. I felt my stomach drop at his reaction. What if he didn’t want me to live with him? What if he wasn’t sure how he felt about me yet? I had just forced him to spend the rest of his life with me, cutting him off before he had the chance to object.

President Snow stood and nodded. “Excellent. I have had my staff transfer all your belongings to your new home. I hope you find it to your liking.” He said with a curt nod before walking off without so much as a goodbye.

A woman who looked familiar stood and linked her arm through Adri’s. “Come, Adri. Let’s get to the train station.” She cooed, skipping off through the door and towing Adri behind her.

I suddenly reached out and snatched Adri’s other arm, pulling him back to me. I realized how clingy it was, but by the time it occurred to me I had already coiled my arms around him.

Adri chuckled and kissed the top of my head, snaking an arm around my waist. “You go ahead, Bou. I’ll meet you in the car.”

The girl shrugged and nodded, skipping off by herself. I glowered at her retreating figure. I had never thought of myself as the jealous type, but I was definitely not okay with the thought of any girl acting like that with Adri.

“So, Boo. Is that her pet name?” I asked, trying to sound innocent. “If you’ve got a girlfriend from District 1, that’s fine. I can cover for you when you get home.”

Adri burst out laughing. “You’re adorable when you’re jealous.”

“Jealous?” I repeated, forcing a scoff and trying to sound innocent.

“Yes. Well, you’re always adorable, but you’re exceptionally adorable when you’re jealous.” He murmured, kissing the tip of my nose.

“That wasn’t what I meant.” I said flatly. “I wanted to know what would make you think that I was jealous.”

He chuckled and took my hand in his, swinging it back and forth happily. “For the record, Boo isn’t her pet name. Her name is actually Bou. And she’s my – very happily married – mentor.” He murmured, raising an eyebrow and giving me an ‘I told you so’ look.

I made a face. “Don’t get so stuck up. One time I got a little jealous. Just one time.”

“Oh, but I do hope it happens more often.” He said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have reached the decision that I want to do a nice, even cut-off at chapter 50, meaning this Wednesday will be the last chapter. I am, however, writing an epilogue which will be posted on Friday, so the entire story will be totally finished and done with on Friday June 22nd (which is also my 17th birthday). I'm so sad that it's ending! :(