Sequel: Fall Away
Status: Complete.

Trust Me

Epilogue

- 2 Years Later –

The morning sun splashed across my face through the window, waking me sweetly. I heard the sound of gentle breathing and glanced to my side to see Adri curled up next to me, still sleeping soundly.

I tossed the covers off myself and padded out of the room and down the stairs into the luxurious kitchen. I switched on the TV and watched the morning news broadcasting from the Capitol. Of course, the news here wasn’t really ‘news’, it was more a review of what celebrities were wearing, what the newest fashion trends were, and general celebrity gossip. I listened to the cast jabber away animatedly with one another as I started to throw together Adri’s favorite breakfast: bacon, eggs, sausages, and French toast. I grabbed a bit of yogurt and made a smoothie for myself, wanting to laugh at the dramatic difference between our breakfasts.

I heard heavy footsteps thud down the stairs, and Adri walked into the kitchen shortly after, looking groggy. “I smelled bacon. Is it a special day today?” He asked. He started to look more awake, and I saw a look of worry cross his face as he tried to figure out what special occasion he’d forgotten today.

Yes, but not a good kind of special. “No, no. Nothing like that.” I lied, switching the TV off as I heard the Capitol’s anthem interrupt the news show. I knew what the Capitol’s announcement would be, and I knew that Adri would not want to hear it.

Adri’s expression grew solemn. “Turn it back on.” He said, his voice quiet but firm.

“Why? It’s just boring old celebrity gossip. Wouldn’t you rather eat breakfast in peace?” I said, taking the remote in my hands and putting it behind my back.

Adri grimaced and threw me over his shoulder, evidently preferring to persuade me physically rather than verbally this morning. He leaned forward and switched the TV back on, and I squeezed my eyes shut in defeat.

“…. Let’s not forget that, in just a few short days, all of Panem will be tuning in to the reaping for the 75th annual Hunger Games!” A woman from the talk show said, joy in her voice.

“Which marks the third Quarter Quell!” A male voice piped in.

“Speaking of which, don’t forget to tune in at 3 o’clock this afternoon to listen to President Snow and watch the picking of the card as we discover what new twist will be thrown into this year’s Games.” Another male voice added.

Adri set me down and turned the TV off, and I glanced up to see a grimace on his face. “You were right to make my favorite breakfast,” He admitted with a grimace.

“I know food is the way to your heart.” I said, taking a cheap attempt at making him smile. His lips did lift up in a weak smile, but it was forced – merely to make me feel better.

We ate in a thick, awkward silence. Adri stared off into space, a bleak look on his face as he picked absently at his food, barely eating any of it. Normally, he would have devoured all of it by now, but he seemed too preoccupied to take note of the food in front of him.

“I’m going to go read a book on the porch.” I said quietly after I’d finished my meal.

He nodded and mumbled an incoherent goodbye.

I sighed and snatched my book off the counter and slipped onto the porch, settling down on the porch swing under the shade of the canopy. I held my book in my lap, watching the waves lap up against the white sand and listening to them crash. I wanted to read, but it was like every sound and every sight was telling me to sleep. My eyes grew heavy, and before I knew it I was drifting off to sleep.

I was jolted awake by the sound of Adri yelling, followed shortly after by the sound of heavy clattering. I leapt to my feet as quickly as I could, but my legs were still heavy from sleep and I fell flat on my face. I straightened up and got to my feet before running inside and heading to the living room, only to see Adri standing in front of the TV, panting as if from exertion. The small table that had once sat next to the TV had been thrown right through the television screen, which would explain the loud clattering sound.

Adri’s eyes widened when he saw me, and I noticed how pale he looked. “Winnie…” He whispered.

“Adri, what’s wrong?” I glanced up at the clock. It was a quarter past three. President Snow would have done his broadcast, and that would explain what upset Adri so much.

“It’s nothing. Just go back outside and read your book.” He instructed.

I glowered at him for a moment before pushing past him into the kitchen.

“No, Winnie!” He lunged forward at me, but I swiftly stuck out my foot, kicking him in the shin.

“If you take one more step, I will plant my foot so deep in my groin, you’ll need surgery to get it out.” I warned.

He grimaced but obediently took a step back. “Just…don’t turn on the TV. Please.”

I ignored him and turned the TV on, flicking it back to the news channel.

“…Isn’t that just shocking! What a great twist for our third Quarter Quell!” A woman cooed.

“For those who missed it, why don’t we replay the President’s announcement?” Another woman suggested.

I heard Adri groan and there was a sound that seemed vaguely like a fist going through drywall, but I ignored it.

“And now we honor our third Quarter Quell. On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors.”

The remote fell from my hands, clattering against the floor. As soon as the remote had hit the floor, the phone rang. My hand fumbled for it absently, and I pulled it to my face slowly. “Hello?” I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

“Miss Nova.” The cold voice was sickeningly familiar. It was President Snow. “You and Adri will be going back into the arena.”

I stumbled forward, and I felt Adri’s hands close around my waist as he tried to keep me upright. I hadn’t noticed him come up behind me, but I wasn’t exactly very alert at the moment. “But…what about the others from our Districts?” I said, knowing there were plenty of male Victors from District 1, and there were at least two other female victors from District 4.

“You made a mockery out of the Capitol two years ago. The two of you managed to cheat the system. And then last year, Miss Everdeen and Mr. Mellark got out just like you two did. The Capitol is done with second chances. Mark my words; no volunteers will be able to take your place. We will not make the same mistakes. No matter what stunts you try to pull, only one victor will be let out alive. If you try to pull any more stunts to get the two of you out alive, we will let you kill yourselves without a second thought.”

As my brain absorbed his words, my stomach churned. The phone fell from my hands and smashed off the floor, breaking into several pieces. I lurched towards the sink and vomited into it, my stomach heaving and my knees shaking. Adri and I would be going back in to the arena. At least one of us would die without a doubt. There was no escaping this.

I was going to relive my worst nightmares, and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I caved. I'm making a sequel. >.> I don't know when the first chapter of the sequel will be up -- I haven't written any of it yet. I'll post it when I've built up the majority of the story. I know what I want the basic plot to be, but I need to get some of the finer details worked out.
That concludes the epilogue that was more of a prologue. ;D