Sequel: Seven Days

Just You

Twelve

It was three days before Mikayla, Danneel and I could go shopping. I needed more pots and pans, preferably a blender, a coffee maker, and decorative stuff for the walls. I had photos, but some needed new frames and there weren’t nearly enough to cover the blank space. I really wanted my place to feel home-y and more…me. Right now, it was just dank.

“Why are we going to Target?” Danneel asked. She wasn’t so much of a snob as she didn’t realize that not everybody had a lot of money. But I don’t think Mikayla realized that with the look she gave me. It was a look that said, wow, really?

“I really like Target’s stuff and I don’t have a lot of money.” I said with confidence. Hey, I spent the last six months at home, working on my book. I had enough saved for two month’s rent and a little bit extra for necessities, and I just got the job at the bookstore.

“Oh.” Danneel said. “You know, Jensen and I would really like to help and—” I put up my hand to stop her.

“I really appreciate it. I do. But you guys have helped so much already, I’d feel horrible taking any money for stuff I don’t need.” She nodded and we walked into the store and grabbed a rolling basket.

“So how did the interview go with that bookstore?” Mikayla asked.

“It went well. They called back yesterday and said I got the job.” I said, and Mikayla gasped.

“That’s awesome Anjilika!” Danneel cried.

“Yeah, it’s cool,” I said as we made our way to the home furnishing section. “But it’s really not a fabulous job.”

“Come on, give yourself some credit.” Danneel sighed, picking up a picture, examining it, and putting it down.

“Yeah, I mean, think about it,” Mikayla began, doing the same with another picture. “That’s heinous. Anyway, you dumped that loser, then, well, you know.” She said, with a look at me.

“Yeah, I know.”

“And now, not too long after, you’re on your feet again with a job and an apartment. That’s awesome!” She said, picking up a decorative clock. “What about this?”

“It’s cute, but I don’t really need a clock right now.” I said honestly.

“True.” She shrugged and put it back. “Anyway, I’m really proud of you.”

“I am too.” Danneel said, smiling at me.

“Aw, thanks guys.” I said, picking up a picture frame that held five different pictures and had the word Family written in the middle in a cursive font. “What do y’all think about this?”

“I like it. It’s pretty classic, yet can be eclectic, like you.” Mikayla said, and I smiled at her.

“I was thinking I could put pictures of y’all in it. You know, you guys and Jensen and Jared. Because y’all are more like my family than my own family is.” The two cooed after the sentence and I laughed. “Alright, alright. I’m assuming you like the idea.”

“I love it.” Danneel said, grinning.

“Good.”

“I’m going to go look down here,” Mikayla said, wondering down an aisle. Suddenly it was just Danneel and I.

“So I wanted to talk about the bridesmaids dresses.” Danneel said to me.

“Oh, yeah? What about them?” I asked, turning my line of sight to the other picture frames.

“Well, Jensen and I were talking and we’d really like to pay for yours.”

“But—” She held up her hand in a similar fashion to the way I did earlier and I shut my mouth.

“This is non-negotiable. We’re paying for it. You can pay for the shoes.” I smiled and shook my head.

“Yes mom.” She laughed at my statement.

“Good, now that we agree, I’ll go down here and look for some more stuff.” I nodded and she left.

“I’ll be down aisle three.” I called out and as I pushed the basket, I tried to ignore the sinking feeling of regret and jealousy in my stomach.

What the hell is wrong with me?