Sequel: Seven Days

Just You

Fourteen

Giggles spilled through my lips as Brent finished telling me a story of something that happened at work the past week. Empty shot glasses littered the bar in front of me. I couldn’t tell you how many I had, or what I even drank. I was full on drunk.

“I can’t believe he did that!” I gasped, and he smiled as he took a swig of his Budweiser.

“Yeah, Steven always was a weird one.” He chuckled. Finally, my giggles subsided and I was able to straighten my face somewhat. “I’ve missed you.”

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Of course.”

“I missed you too.” He laughed as I hugged him around the neck.

“You’re drunk.” He muttered, wrapping his arms around my middle.

“A little.” I pulled back slightly and there was a moment where we stared in the other’s eyes. Hours that were only seconds passed by until he moved in to kiss me softly on the lips. I was the one to deepen the kiss by grabbing at the back of his head, and when his tongue darted out to lick my bottom lip, I moaned quietly.

“Do you want to get out of here?” He asked, pulling back just far enough for his breath to cascade over my mouth. The sensation made me shiver with anticipation. I opened my eyes enough to see him; his lips were parted and eyes, closed. I smiled and nodded without realizing he couldn’t see me.

“Yeah.” He opened his eyes and leaned back to grin at me. He held out his hand as an offering, and I hesitated for a moment. It was if even through the drunken haze, I knew this was a bad idea. But I took his hand and let him pull me off the stool. He grabbed me around the middle and pulled me through the crowd. As we walked out of the bar, I spotted one familiar face and stopped in my tracks.

“What the fuck? Anjilika, what the fuck?” Jensen’s face hardened with anger as he pushed his way to us. I looked down like a child scorned and started stuttering in response. “What? I can’t hear you.”

“Whoa, calm down bro.” Brent said, squeezing me closer to his body so I could feel his body like a line of heat from shoulder to hip.

“Shut the fuck up dickweed,” Jensen said, pointing at him. “Let her speak for herself.” My best friend turned to me with such anger and disgust on his face, I couldn’t believe it. “I left my fiancée at home to make sure you were okay, and then I find you leaving with him? What the fuck?”

Anger began boiling from the pit of my stomach. It never took long for me to turn from shame to anger. I tried to hold back the hateful words my brain was producing but I couldn’t. Something about the situation had me embarrassed, shameful, and the alcohol surely didn’t help. Neither did the jab about leaving his fiancée at home to check on me.

“And you didn’t think to call me? Tell me you were coming? I thought I was all alone and you know what? Brent was here. So why don’t you go back to your precious fucking fiancée?” I growled, tensing from head to toe, preparing for the fight.

“Is that what this is about? You’re jealous of Danneel?” He asked. “She’s bent over backwards for you, we both have. But if this is what you want, go for it.” He threw up his hands as if he was done with everything.

“Fuck you Jensen, I’m not jealous.” I lied, and nobody looked convinced. Not Brent, not the crowd that had formed, and definitely not Jensen. “You know what? This is what I want. So go back to your perfect girl, your perfect job, your perfect life.” He laughed bitterly at my words.

“Yeah, I think I will.” He turned and took a few steps away from Brent and me. He seemed to think of something to say, because he stopped after about a yard and looked over his shoulder. “If you go home with him, don’t bother to call me. Ever.”