Sequel: Seven Days

Just You

Five

I looked around the room that was mine for four days. It felt so much longer than that, I felt like I had been there for a year. So many things happened in such a small period of time that I had emotional whiplash. But here I was, leaving this horrid hospital. I had freedom again. It felt good.

“So, I’m going to miss you.” Christie said from her spot on the bed.

“Aw, sweetie, I’ll miss you too. But you’ll get out soon, I promise.” I gave her a bracing smile which she tried to return.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Stay strong. You’ll get over this.” Her smile grew and she nodded.

“Thanks.”

“Anjilika?” I turned to the door and Scott stood there. “Your ride is here.”

“Thanks Scott.” He smiled and I looked over my shoulder at Christie. “Bye hon.”

“Bye.” She waved slightly and I sighed, hoisting the bag with my belongings over my shoulder. Following Scott out of the room and down the hallway, I waved to random patients and staff, who uttered congratulations as I smiled. And as we neared the Nurse’s Station, I saw Jensen. My breath caught in my throat at the sight of him, but I waved it off.

I wasn’t in love with him. I just wanted a nice guy, and he was nice. Like Larry suggested, those feelings were only self-preservation, a desperate attempt at saving myself from another asshole boyfriend.

“Hey.” Jensen smiled at me. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah.” After the “goodbyes” and “good lucks” from the staff around the Nurse’s Station, we walked out to Danneel’s black Audi. “Where’s Danneel?”

“She’s at home. She thought it would be good for us to have some alone time.” He popped the trunk and I placed my bag in the bottom. As he closed it, he grabbed me into a hug. “It’s good to have you back, Angel.”

“Thanks Jay.” He let go and we walked around opposite sides of the car to get in. “So when are you getting your own car?”

“I don’t need one.” He shrugged. “I do miss my truck though.”

“You’re such a Texas boy.” I laughed.

“Oh, you know it.” I grinned at him and he did the same. It was an amazing moment and we were almost back to normal. Almost. “So what do you want to do tonight?”

“I was thinking we could just chill.” I shrugged.

“Well, we can do that, or we can go out. Jared and Mikayla want to see you.”

“Alright. Let’s do that.” We pulled up to his nice house and got out of the car. He walked around the car and grabbed my bags from the trunk before I had a chance. “Ugh, I need a shower so bad.”

“They don’t let you shower in that place?” He made a disgusted face and I laughed.

“They do. It’s just…not the same.” He laughed.

“Well, the guest bedroom and bath are all yours. Go ahead, I got this.” I nodded and walked to the front of the house. I walked in to see their dog, Icarus, bounding up to me and the smell of spicy Cajun food. I laughed softly as I bent down to pat his head and Danneel walked into the living room.

“Hey!” She spread her arms as I stood again. We hugged as she squealed, “welcome home!”

“Thanks hun. What are you cooking?” I asked as I stepped back.

“Jambalaya.” I grinned at her. “I knew you needed something good after that horrible hospital food.”

“Yes. Yes, I do.” There was noise behind me as Jensen walked in with my bag.

“Go get comfortable. Dinner should be ready in a little bit.” I nodded and grabbed my bag from Jensen’s hands and walked up the stairs.

“Oh, guys?” I said, turning around. The couple looked at me. “Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. I feel kind of bad.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Danneel said.

“Stop being stupid, of course we’re going to help you.” Jensen said, to which I laughed.

I have the best friends in the world.