‹ Prequel: Nothing Is Ever Simple
Status: Updates may be delayed for a while, sorry.

I Could Never Pretend

Is Anyone There?

After several hours and more dresses than she cared to count, Amelia was on her way back to Johnny’s. Laura had settled on matching floor-length halter neck gowns in a beautiful burgundy colour for her bridesmaids to wear. Amelia had to admit that she really like Laura’s choice. The dresses were stunning and matched the Christmas theme. It was hard to believe that after all the months of planning it was only a few weeks until the wedding. Amelia was going to have a very busy Christmas this year, which she hoped would take her mind off the events of the year before. The ceremony itself was set to take place on December 21st, while Amelia’s parents were flying over on the 24th. They were going to be staying at Johnny’s for a week, and then Amelia and Johnny would be off on their holiday. Amelia couldn’t believe it had nearly been a whole year since she had left Bam. It seemed like only five minutes ago that she had turned up on Johnny’s doorstep and had been welcomed into his home by Madison.

“Hey babe. Are you ok?” Johnny peered in through the car window.

His words snapped Amelia from her thoughts and she realised she was outside Johnny’s house already and had been sitting in the car with the engine still running, preoccupied by her memories. “Oh yeah I’m fine thanks, I was just...daydreaming.” She laughed as she switched off the engine.

“Are you sure?”Johnny continued to stare at her while he stepped back so she could open the door. “You’ve been sat their quite a while.”

“I was just thinking about how fast this year’s gone.” She told him, climbing out of the car. “I got caught up remembering how I just turned up here out of the blue.”

“That was a nice surprise.” Johnny smiled and led her to the house. “You’re welcome to turn up out of the blue whenever you feel like it.”

“Well I might just have to take you up on that.” Amelia winked as they made their way inside.

“I hope you do. Now about those cuddles...”

***

Amelia opened her eyes but she was met with nothing but darkness. The ground felt damp and as she blindly took a step forwards her foot splashed into a puddle. She reached an arm out to her side and her hand touched cold brickwork. She took another careful step and her hand continued to brush against the brick. The same happened with her other arm, leading her to believe that she was in some kind of corridor. Not daring to proceed any further in the dark, she rubbed her eyes, hoping she would be able to see something. The darkness was unnerving and she could feel an icy breeze coming towards her. Eventually a tiny spark of light appeared in the distance, giving the impression that the corridor must continue far along.

“Hello.” She called. “Is anyone there?”

There was no reply. She turned around to see where she had come from, not that she could remember how she had ended up in this darkness in the first place. The corridor behind her was still bathed in darkness so she decided that her best option was to head towards the light. She picked up a quick pace and as she got closer to the source of light her surroundings became illuminated. She was indeed in a long corridor and there were pools of water on the floor. From the looks of the brickwork she appeared to be in an old building, and as she continued towards her destination she noticed what appeared to be boarded up rooms. Perhaps this was an old abandoned school or hospital, still that did not explain what she was doing here.

The loneliness was overwhelming and she wondered where Johnny was. She could usually rely on him to be close at hand. “Johnny?” She called, tentatively. Once again there was no reply. She briefly wondered if this was some elaborate prank pulled on her by the guys at work. If so it was not funny and she wanted out.

“Ok, very funny guys you got me. How did you do it? Did you spike my drink or something? I’ll get you back for this!” She shouted, trying to sound confident but she wasn’t at all convinced that this was an office prank. It was far too advanced for the likes of Knoxville and Tremaine. It reminded her more of something from the horror films she was so fond of watching and this thought sent a shiver down her spine. Perhaps they were picking up on her weakness.

She didn’t have much choice but to continue in the direction of the light and as she got closer she noticed that it appeared to be the moonlight flooding in through a high window at the end of the corridor. She could see that the corridor veered off to the left and she hoped that by following it she would find the exit. She quickened her pace, not wanting to spend any more time in this creepy place than was necessary. If it was a prank, Jeff and co could be certain that there would be payback; that was for sure. She could just picture them rolling with laughter as they watched her on the portable screen. Well, she would have her revenge.

She reached the end of the corridor and turned left. The building now appeared familiar to her and it filled her stomach with dread. It was the university building where she had studied for her degree in film production. How the hell had she ended up here? She could not remember being on a flight. She bit her lips and carried on walking, thoroughly confused and scared. The moonlight was still illuminating the corridor and she found herself in the hallway that lead to the atrium of the building, where a stair case joined the five floors. She was about to start running to the stairs when the sound of a child crying startled her. She was a mother and she knew the sound of her child’s cry.

“Brandon!” she exclaimed and ran in the direction of the crying as fast as her legs could carry her. Her heart was pounding and her lungs were stinging as she made her way to the other side of the room. The thought of her baby being in danger made her feel physically sick.

She spotted a dark shape at the back of the room and she instantly recognised it as the silhouette of her son. As she hurried towards him, Brandon stopped crying and she noticed another figuring lying on the floor beside him. She could not make out who the body belonged to from her current position but she did notice the abundance of empty beer and vodka bottles scattered around the room. Nothing made any sense but without hesitation she scooped the toddler up into her arms and started to comfort him. Although he seemed shaken, Brandon was physically fine, and she hugged him tightly afraid that he might disappear if she let go. The figure on the floor appeared lifeless and apprehensively she bent down to get a closer look.

“Hello? Are you ok?”She called to the figure. No response.

She put a hand on their body and it felt horribly cold and lifeless. She tried to gently shake the person but their body was stiff and rigid. Her stomach churned and she felt dread wash over her. Was this person dead? She pulled the figure’s hood away and jumped back in horror. The pale face and sunken eyes were almost unrecognisable but there was still no mistaking the body lying before her and she turned to vomit. It was Bam.


***

“Amelia!”

Amelia’s eyes flickered open. She was vaguely aware of someone shouting her name.

“Amelia!”

There it was again. The voice sounded familiar and she willed it to bring her out of this dark place.

“Amelia, wake up!”

She felt somebody grab her by the shoulders and physically shake her. All of a sudden she was sitting up in bed, drenched in sweat and shaking. She blinked several times and found herself face to face with a very worried looking Johnny.

“Where’s Brandon?” she demanded instinctively. She was sure that the last thing she remembered was holding him in her arms.

“He’s asleep in the next room.” Johnny told her. “You were just having a nightmare.” He reassured her. “Everything’s fine.”

Amelia looked round the brightly lit room, taking in her surroundings. They were in Johnny’s bedroom, much to her confusion. It had seemed so much more real than a nightmare and Amelia realised that tears were now streaming down her face. Johnny pulled her into his arms. “It’s ok Amelia. I’m here.” He rocked her gently as she started to sob. “Do you want to tell me what happened?”

Amelia nodded and Johnny released his grip on her. “I was lost in the dark.” She stammered. “And then I heard Brandon crying and...”

“And what?” Johnny asked gently, pushing her hair out of her face. Her skin felt cold and clammy. It must have been a really bad nightmare, he thought worriedly.

“And then I can’t remember.” She lied, unable to look Johnny in the eye. She really didn’t want to talk about what she had seen. She couldn’t explain it and didn’t want to try. Johnny wiped a stray tear from her cheek and Amelia tried to calm her breathing, telling herself over and over again that it had all just been a bad dream. A very bad dream.

“Have some water.” Johnny suggested, passing her a glass from the bedside table.

“Thanks.” She croaked, sipping it slowly. Although she had not actually been sick, her stomach felt delicate and she was still shaking. She was grateful for Johnny’s comforting presence, and as his hand stroked her back she began to feel herself relax. Nightmares were common after all, especially as a result of stress, and Amelia had had plenty of that lately.

“Did I wake you up?” She turned to look at Johnny apologetically.

Johnny bit his lip and nodded slightly. “You were rolling around and crying. I thought you were having some kind of seizure.”

“I’m sorry.” Amelia mumbled, looking down at the glass in her hands. “I don’t know what happened to me.”

Johnny put a hand on her bare shoulder. “There’s no need to apologise. I’m glad I was here to wake you up.” He smiled reassuringly.

“So am I.” Amelia agreed. She didn’t want to think about what would have happened if Johnny hadn’t been there to wake her from the dream. “What time is it?” She wondered.

“A little after four.” Johnny told her. “You want to watch a film or something?”

“That would be nice.” Amelia nodded, taking another sip of water. There was no way she would be able to go back to sleep now.

“Ok, but first things first, you’re freezing. Put this on.” Johnny requested, passing her his hoody.

“Yes boss.” Amelia smiled timidly, pulling the hoody over her head. It drowned her tiny frame but she felt safe, surrounded by Johnny’s scent.

“Now are you ok? Can you walk? Do you want me to carry you?” He teased, making her laugh and taking her mind off the dream ever so slightly. She truly appreciated Johnny’s ability to make her feel better, no matter what the situation.

“I think I can manage, thanks PJ.” She patted his arm and pushed herself up. Her legs felt a little wobbly but Johnny gave her his arm to steady herself.

“I don’t know about that. I think I should carry you.” He looked her up and down, and before she had chance to protest he had swept her up in his arms and was making his way out of the room with her.

Johnny carried Amelia downstairs into the living room and proceeded to set up the sofa with blankets and cushions so that they could make themselves comfortable. He even filled the table with sugary snacks and fizzy drinks to help them stay awake. Amelia smiled at him as he took a seat beside her with a can of coke and turned on the TV.

“What do you want to watch?”

“When Harry Met Sally?” Amelia suggested, knowing full well that Johnny had a soft spot for chick flicks.

“If anyone in the office asks why we’re so tired tomorrow, we were up all night having sex, ok? I have to maintain my macho image.” Johnny grinned, stuffing a donut into his mouth.

“Whatever you say, stud.” Amelia laughed and snuggled up to Johnny as he wrapped his arm around her.