‹ Prequel: Nothing Is Ever Simple
Status: Updates may be delayed for a while, sorry.

I Could Never Pretend

The Start of a Long Week

Johnny traipsed through the empty function room, Bam’s words echoing in his head all the way into his hotel room, where he stripped out of his bloody shirt and washed the blood off his face. Amelia was still fast asleep as he slipped into bed. He closed his eyes but his mind was working in overdrive. Bam had made it sound so simple. All you have to do is leave Amelia. Every time Johnny replayed those words in his head he felt a flash of anger surge through his body. Who the hell did Bam think he was? What right did he have to play god with other people’s lives.

Johnny tossed and turned that night, wondering what to do, wondering whether he should tell Amelia what Bam had said. As easy as it would be to dismiss Bam’s demands as ludicrous, Johnny could not help but worry that Amelia might be tempted by his ultimatum, if just for an easier life.

Amelia woke early the next morning as she wanted to see Laura and Jeff off on their honeymoon. Johnny was curled up away from her on the far side of the bed. She couldn’t remember him coming back so she decided to let him sleep in a little longer while she and Brandon got ready for the day. It wasn’t until she got out of the shower that she noticed Johnny’s face. She had to put a hand to her mouth to stop herself from gasping in shock.

He had a black eye, a swollen nose and a split lip. All in all he looked pretty rough. Amelia wrapped the towel tightly around her and perched on the side of the bed next to him. She could only begin to guess what had happened. He looked as if he had gotten into a fight, but then again it wasn’t so long ago that he’d thought having Jeff give him a black eye would be a good idea. Perhaps they had got a little carried away last night. She stroked his face anxiously, hating to see him injured.

After a few minutes Johnny’s eyes fluttered open and he found himself looking at Amelia’s worried face. His head was pounding as a combination of the whiskey and his fist fight with Bam. His mouth felt dry and he tried to clear his throat before talking to Amelia. He was grateful when she passed him a glass of water.

“What happened to your face?” Amelia asked as Johnny pulled himself into a sitting position.

Johnny tried to ignore the fact that all Amelia had on was a towel. “It’s nothing.” He murmured, rubbing his temple. “I just need some painkillers.”

“It doesn’t look like nothing.” She frowned, handing him a packet of tablets. “It looks like you got into a fight.”

When Johnny didn’t reply, Amelia knew she had hit the nail on the head. “No prizes for guessing who you were fighting.” She sighed, glad that she had not been around to see it. “Did he come off as bad as you?” She gestured at Johnny’s face.

“I’m sorry Amelia.” Johnny mumbled, not able to meet her eye. He was far more ashamed of himself for rising to Bam than she or Jeff could ever be.

“It’s not me you should be apologising to. Does Jeff know?” She stood up and started to rummage through her clothes to find an outfit for the day.

Johnny shook his head. “Everyone had left by then.”

“I guess that’s something. So what exactly did he say or do to provoke you?” Amelia asked, turning around so that Johnny could not see as she put on her bra and t-shirt.

“It’s um ... best I don’t repeat it.” Johnny shrugged, earning a raised eyebrow from Amelia.

“Yeah you’re right. I don’t think I want to know.” She agreed after a moment’s hesitation.

Johnny wondered whether he should mention Bam’s ‘offer’ but quickly decided against it. At the best it would piss Amelia off and at the worst it might push her away from him. He climbed out of bed to get a shower at let Amelia finish getting dressed.

About an hour later a handful of guests had gathered in the hotel lobby to wish Laura and Jeff a happy honeymoon. Johnny had managed to hide his black eye under his shades, and the swelling around his nose had started to subside. He hoped Jeff wouldn’t say anything about his fat lip.

“Hope you have a great time dude.” He said, patting his friend on the back.

“Cheers PJ. And thanks for waiting til everyone went to bed.” Jeff winked, looking at his swollen lip.

Johnny grimaced slightly, but before he had chance to explain himself, Laura had thrown her arms around him. “Thank you for coming Johnny. Make sure you take good care of Amelia while I’m away!”

“I will.” He smiled gently, kissing Laura on the cheek.

***

Only two days later it was time to pick Amelia’s parents up from the airport. She had opted to leave Johnny, Rose and Ryan behind and drive to the airport with Brandon alone. She needed a little time to clear her head before the family Christmas began. It was going to be a hectic week, with everyone staying at Johnny’s. It was lucky that he had so many guest rooms. This year it was Johnny’s turn to have Madison over Christmas so there really was going to be a houseful.

Amelia and Brandon made their way into the arrivals lounge and waited for Lisa and Stuart to appear in the crowd of passengers. It didn’t take long for her parents to spot Amelia and their grandson and they hurried over to embrace their daughter, who they had not seen for months.

“Oh I’ve missed you so much Amelia!” Lisa exclaimed, hugging her daughter tightly.

“I’ve missed you too mum.” Amelia smiled, handing Brandon over so that she could embrace her dad.

“Wow he’s grown so much.” Lisa remarked, smothering the little boy in kisses.

“How are you Amelia?” Stuart asked, “Still enjoying the LA life?”

“I’m fine thanks dad.” She assured him. “Let’s get going. Rose is waiting.” Amelia took Lisa’s suitcase and starting leading them towards the exit.

“Well I’m glad she actually made the effort to join us.” Lisa remarked. Amelia silently sighed. It was going to be a long week.

“She brought Ryan with her as well.” Amelia explained, thinking it would be better to give her parents a little warning.

“Oh lovely. I like Ryan.” Lisa smiled. Amelia and Stuart rolled their eyes. Lisa had liked all of Amelia and Rose’s past partners, that is, until something went wrong and then they would not hear the end of it.

“So where are we staying?” Lisa asked as the four of them piled into Amelia’s little car. “Surely there’s not enough room in your apartment for all of us.”

Amelia had decided not to tell her parents that they would be staying with Johnny until the very last minute. Her father would be too excited, while her mother would be disapproving. “No, we’re going to be staying with Johnny, mum. He has plenty of room. I hope that’s ok?”

Stuart’s eyes lit up as if Christmas had come two days early, while her mother shot her a typically disapproving look from the back seat. “Are you still seeing him?”

“Yes I’m still seeing him.” Amelia sighed, pulling out of the airport car park.

“You haven’t moved in with him have you?” Lisa asked, sounding slightly alarmed.

“No mum!” Amelia exclaimed. “He’s just offered us the use of his guest rooms for the week, so that we don’t have to rent out hotel rooms.”

“That’s very kind of him, isn’t it Lisa?” Stuart turned around to look at his wife.

“Yes it is.” Lisa agreed, although she did not sound nearly as sincere as Stuart.

Amelia held her tongue and decided to let her mother’s negative attitude wash over her. She would not rise to it. She knew the only reason Lisa was being so difficult about the Johnny situation was that she hated the idea of her daughter getting divorced. Not because they were religious, but Lisa had experienced divorce at a young age herself and she had always hoped that her daughters would avoid making the same mistake.

The rest of the journey back to Johnny’s house was spent chatting about friends and family and it wasn’t long before they were driving through Johnny’s gates. Stuart let out a low whistle of approval as they pulled up outside Johnny’s impressive looking home. Lisa remained silent but Amelia noticed that she could not quite contain the look of awe that was spreading across her face.

Amelia switched off the engine and Rose came running out of the house to greet her parents as they climbed out of the car. While Rose was hugging Lisa and Stuart, Amelia took Brandon from the child seat and spotted Johnny and Ryan hiding like naughty schoolchildren in the doorway. She couldn’t help but laugh as she waved them over. “Come on boys, you can carry the suitcases.” She grinned.

“It’s lovely to see you again Ryan.” Lisa embraced him in a motherly hug when he had wandered over; while her husband shook Johnny’s hand and complimented him on having such a nice place. Amelia had already warned her parents about Johnny’s face, writing it off as a stunt that had gone wrong. They had seemed to buy the story without question, much to Amelia’s relief.

“It’s going to be a long week.” Rose whispered to Amelia, echoing her earlier thoughts while they watched the others greet each other.

“Tell me about it.” Amelia groaned. “I think I need a drink.”

Between the two of them, Amelia and Rose finally managed to usher their parents and partners into the house. Johnny gave the Jones’ a brief tour of his house, before showing them to their room. He had sensed that Lisa was a little reserved around him at first, but Amelia had warned him that she was still bitching over the prospective divorce. This did not particularly faze him however, and he was confident that it wouldn’t be too hard to win Amelia’s mother over with a dash of his southern charm.

Later that afternoon Mel arrived to drop Madison off and wished them all a happy Christmas. With the house so full, Johnny was grateful that he barely had chance to think about what Bam had said at the wedding. He was also grateful for the fact that Stuart was so approving of him as Amelia’s boyfriend, even if her mother did not feel quite the same way.

“Oh don’t worry about Lisa.” Stuart told Johnny, perhaps a little drunk. The men had retired to Johnny’s games room with a bottle of expensive whiskey and Johnny and Stuart were playing a game of pool. “She’s always been overprotective of Amelia because she was so quiet as a child. She still wishes that Amelia had come back to England instead of moving here when everything cracked off... but you’re a top guy Johnny. I know you’ll take good care of my daughter.”

“That I will Stuart.” Johnny assured him, taking a swig of his drink. Stuart had insisted on Johnny calling him by his first name rather than ‘Mr Jones’.

“And Ryan.” Stuart began, turning to the younger man and leaning on his cue. “All I can say is good luck. Rose is a handful. She’ll keep you on your toes.”

Meanwhile, Amelia, Rose, Lisa and Madison were sitting in the living room with Brandon, sharing a bottle of wine, or in Madison and Brandon’s case orange juice. Amelia and Rose were getting their mother up to date with everything that had been going on in their lives recently.

“It’s so nice to be reunited with my daughters.” Lisa smiled tipsily. “I can’t believe you’ve both left me for America.”

Amelia and Rose laughed. “Come on mum! Don’t tell me you’re not glad to have finally got rid of me.” Rose teased.

“Well, it is much quieter since you moved out.” Lisa remarked with a smirk. “Amelia, I’m sorry for not being as supportive of your new relationship as I should be.” She sighed, rubbing her temple.

“Mum, its ok...” Amelia began, not wanting to receive a lecture or indeed start an argument.

“No, it’s not. I just want to explain myself. Johnny seems like a wonderful guy.” Lisa smiled at Madison as she said this.

Amelia waited for the ‘but’ that would surely follow.

“But I can’t help but wish you’d gone for someone a little more...stable? No offence to your father Madison.”

Madison simply laughed at this description of her dad but Amelia frowned. “What do you mean ‘stable’? Johnny’s perfectly stable.” Amelia folded her arms defiantly. It seemed avoiding an argument was out of the question.

“Come on Amelia, I’ve seen his show. That kind of behaviour is not what I’d call healthy. I would have thought that you’d have learned from your marriage.”

“Hold it right there a second mum.” Amelia cut Lisa off. “Johnny is nothing like Bam. I don’t understand why you never said anything like this when we visited over the summer?”

“I didn’t realise how serious things were between the two of you.” Lisa explained.

“Look mum. I accept the fact that you wish I was dating someone ‘normal’ after everything that’s happened, but I love Johnny and he makes me happy.” Amelia finished her sentence with a large gulp of wine and stood up. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I need some fresh air.”

Rose, Lisa and Madison watched warily as Amelia left the room. “Did I say the wrong thing?” Lisa asked Rose.

Rose rolled her eyes. “I think you need to give Amelia break mum. She knows what she’s doing and she’s under a lot of stress with everything at the moment.” She purposely avoided mentioning the ‘d’ word. A lecture on divorce was the last thing Amelia needed right now.