‹ Prequel: Nothing Is Ever Simple
Status: Updates may be delayed for a while, sorry.

I Could Never Pretend

A Twist of Fate

As could only be expected, the article in ‘Entertainment News Today’ lead to a whole heap of unwanted attention for Amelia and Johnny, so much so that Amelia and Brandon went to stay with Laura and Jeff for a couple of days until the media frenzy had died down. Johnny’s manager had issued a statement on behalf of the couple, setting the record straight, but this did not satiate the reporters’ hunger for the slightest amount of gossip. Neither Johnny nor Amelia could leave their respective homes without being approached by at least a handful of journalists, desperate for the latest scoop. While Johnny was used to this treatment every now and then, for Amelia it was not a side effect of fame, it was an unwanted intrusion into her life. Johnny blamed the huge amount of interest on the fact that his latest film had just been released, coinciding with the season finale of Viva La Bam. Had Johnny and Bam not already been in the spotlight, there probably wouldn’t have been so much of a buzz around the situation.

In the ensuing chaos, Johnny had been distracted from telling Amelia about Bam and the meeting, but under the present circumstances he figured it was best to let things cool down before he delivered her another bombshell. He wasn’t sure her nerves could cope with any more unwanted surprises. Besides which, fate would have it that Johnny was soon to be on a flight to New York. He had been scheduled for an interview with a TV station since before Christmas, but in the midst of all the drama he had completely forgotten about it.

He broke the news to Amelia while stopping by Jeff’s house after work. He and Amelia had agreed to keep a low profile while out in public until the press moved on to their next unfortunate target. Johnny tried his best to sneak round most evenings but it all felt a little ridiculous. They should not have to tread on eggshells, just because the paparazzi were out for their blood. As a temporary arrangement however, the set up was quite ideal, with Jeff driving Amelia to work and Laura looking after Brandon during the day.

Amelia was still trying to decide what to do about the divorce. Now that it seemed Bam had stooped to a whole new level she felt more determined than ever to fight him. To simply look the other way and sign on the dotted line would be giving into him too easily. She was not going to let Bam make her out to be a cheat, even if it would ultimately give her what she wanted: an end to the marriage. The problem was, however, she could still not convince herself that her husband was to blame for the article. There was no way Bam would paint such a negative picture of himself. Amelia knew him better than that.

“I’m sorry”, Johnny sighed tiredly, leaning against Amelia as they sat together in Jeff and Laura’s living room. “I’d cancel this interview if I could but right now I think we need this opportunity. You know, good press and everything?”

Amelia nodded slowly. “I wish you didn’t have to go, but I know it’s for the best.” She rested her head on Johnny’s shoulder wearily.

“It’s only for a few days”, he added, looking at her slightly anxiously. He felt guilty for leaving when she needed him the most. He had made the same mistake with his marriage to Mel, and look where that had gotten him.

All Amelia wanted to do was hide here safely in Johnny’s arms til the storm had blown over, but she knew she was being a coward. “It’ll be fine”, Amelia smiled, this time reassuring him more than herself. “We’re in good hands here”, Amelia grinned at Jeff who had just entered the room.

“Don’t worry PJ, I’ve got your backs”, Jeff nodded as he cracked open a beer and sat down opposite the couple. “Don’t let the hounds get you down.”

“Thanks Jeff. Maybe one day we’ll actually be able to have a drama free relationship”, Johnny looked at Amelia apologetically.

Amelia’s face softened. “Come on Mr Knoxville. I knew that ‘drama-free’ was never going to be on the cards when I signed up for this.” Amelia reassured him with a firm kiss on the lips. “I’d take all the drama in the world if it means I get to be with you.”

“You’re amazing, do you know that?” Johnny grinned, nuzzling her cheek.

“No, tell me some more”, Amelia joked, bumping him with her shoulder.

“I’ll make it up to you when I get back”, Johnny winked seductively before kissing her briefly but passionately.

“Oh cut it out you guys, I’m gonna throw up into my beer”, Jeff teased.

***

Johnny’s time in New York seemed to fly by and before he knew it he was spending his last night in the city before flying back to LA the next morning. The interview had gone fine and he had been relieved when there was no mention of his relationship with Amelia. Knowing that he would soon be reunited with Amelia made him feel restless, so he decided to hit one of the bars in the hope that it would help him to relax a little. He was still feeling slightly jet lagged from his flight the other day.

Johnny seemed to spend increasing amounts of time in New York and he was fast becoming familiar with the nightlife. He opted for one of the bars the Jackass crew had visited while promoting their second movie. The music wasn’t really to his taste, he preferred something a little more country rather than 80s rock, but it was a fairly low key joint, where he had less chance of being recognised. The New York press could be just as irritating as those back in LA.

As he had expected, the bar was almost empty when Johnny arrived there late evening. He found himself a seat at the end of the bar, where he hoped he would not be disturbed. He doubted that the crowd that tended to gathered in this particular watering hole would be interested in him anyway. They seemed too busy comparing tattoos in their big leather and studded jackets. All Johnny wanted was a few drinks to clear his head and then he would go straight back to the hotel. There was no sense in getting wasted, not when he was all alone, miles from home.

Johnny had ordered his third whiskey of the night when he heard a commotion coming from the entrance to the bar, disturbing the buzz of conversation over the classic 80s anthems. Johnny glanced over his shoulder and found himself staring at a group of men in their late twenties, or possibly early thirties. They were dressed mainly in black, with lashings of guy liner and a certain gothic aura around them. They certainly looked the part. Johnny was just about to turn away when instinctively his hackles rose. The last member of the gang to enter the bar was simultaneously the last person on earth he had expected to run into, and yet it was almost too much of a coincidence.

Bam and his posse had not spotted Johnny yet so he hastily turned back to face the bartender and pulled down his shades and paid for his drink. Johnny knew what he should do. He should go out of his way to avoid confrontation, and the best way to do so would be to leave now. However, at the back of his mind he couldn’t shake the opinion that he had been here first, so why should he have to leave? Male pride at its finest, he mused.

Johnny sipped his drink, deep in contemplation as the gang of young males made their way to the bar. His seat at the end of the bar kept him out of sight for the time being, but surely it would not be long before someone spotted his checked shirt and converse. Bam would recognise him in a heartbeat. Johnny felt himself sink down lower into the bar stool, as if this would somehow render him invisible for a little longer. He was thinking about how pissed Amelia would be if she found out that he’d been in another scrap with Bam. It was not worth it, surely. It would be easy for Johnny to finish his drink quickly and make a swift exit before anyone had chance to spot him. Of course, the longer he stayed here, thinking about it, the more likely it was that Bam would notice him.

It seemed that once again, fate was determined to step in and muck up his plans. Johnny decided to finish his drink and go for night cap in the hotel bar. He placed his empty glass on the bar in front of him and climbed off the stool. Johnny was just shrugging on his jacket as he made his way to the exit when he felt someone grab his arm.

***

“Amelia, can you come here a second!”

Amelia heard Laura shouting her from upstairs and quickly put down her cup of coffee. She had been waiting for Jeff to drive to the two of them to work as one of Johnny’s stipulations before going away had been that Amelia did not go out alone, at least not until the attention had dissipated. That was all very well and good, but Jeff took longer to get ready than any woman Amelia had ever known and she seemed to spend most of her time waiting around for him.

Amelia jogged upstairs and called Laura. She was in the bathroom.

Amelia hesitated and caught her breath. “What’s up Laura?” she asked through the door.

She heard the door unlock in front of her and before she knew what was happening, Laura had grabbed her arm and pulled her into the bathroom.

“What’s going on?” Amelia frowned at Laura, who was still in her pyjamas and looked somewhat flustered. Her cheeks were bright red and her curly blonde hair was sticking up in every direction possible.

In response to Amelia’s question, Laura thrust something small and white in her direction. Amelia did not need to look twice at the item in Laura’s hand to know what it was. She was all too familiar with the inconspicuous piece of plastic that held the power to change someone’s life forever. Amelia took a step towards Laura so that she was close enough to see the blue line.

“Oh my goodness!” Amelia exclaimed, putting a hand to her mouth in surprise. “Congratulations.” She smiled at Laura tentatively as she looked like she was about to burst in to tears. It was hard to judge her reaction. Was this a good thing?

Laura put the pregnancy test on the counter and embraced Amelia in a tight hug. “I can’t believe it. I’m going to be a mom”, she laughed into Amelia’s shoulder.

Amelia squeezed her tightly. “I’m so happy for you!” Laura had been talking about wanting children, right from the first day the two women had met.

Laura pulled away from Amelia. Her eyes were streaming with tears. Laura had just opened her mouth to say something when the two women heard Jeff shout.

“Amelia! Are you ready to go?”

Amelia looked at Laura. She was sure that Jeff wouldn’t mind her staying with Laura today, under the circumstances but Laura shook her head.

“We’ll be down in ten minutes Jeff”, Laura shouted. “Amelia’s just helping me with something.”
Jeff mumbled something incoherent in response.

Laura sat down on the toilet seat, clearly overcome with surprise and happiness. She wiped a few stray tears from her eyes. “I can’t believe this is actually happening.”

Amelia felt herself well up, partly from happiness for Laura but also because this brought back memories of the moment when she discovered she was pregnant with Brandon. She remembered how she had been on the phone to Johnny both before and after taking the test. He had talked her through it, trying to keep her calm and promising that everything was going to be ok. At that moment, she hadn’t realised it due to the nerves over the test, but she’d had an overwhelming sense of love for him.

All of a sudden Amelia really missed Johnny and hoped he would be home very soon.

“I supposed I should tell the daddy”, Laura giggled after they had sat in silence for a few moments, taking in the news.

“He’ll be thrilled”, Amelia assured her. Although Jeff had always feigned disinterest in babies, Amelia had known him long enough and well enough to be sure that he would be over the moon about Laura’s news.

“I hope so,” Laura grinned nervously.

“You’ve got nothing to worry about”, Amelia nodded confidently.

Laura was lucky. She had a loving and caring husband who would always be there for her and their baby, through thick and thin. Amelia on the other hand, had not been so fortunate in the husband department, but that didn’t matter now. She had Johnny and he was perfect. Maybe one day in the future, when the dust had settled, Brandon would grow up knowing his real father, but in the meantime he and Amelia had Johnny to take care of them and he was all that they needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks everyone who has read and subscribed :) And a big thank you to FLsweetgirl, MadisonClappxx and Dannichappell for your comments! :) I'm glad you're enjoying the story!