‹ Prequel: Nothing Is Ever Simple
Status: Updates may be delayed for a while, sorry.

I Could Never Pretend

Sisterly Love

“I really don’t want to make a big deal about it.” Amelia repeated for the third time as she looked up at Laura and Johnny. They had invaded her office that morning and were bombarding her with questions about her upcoming birthday. She would be turning twenty five in less than two weeks, but with everything that had been going on at the moment her birthday had been at the back of her mind.

“Oh come on Amelia, it’s your quarter of a century birthday!” Laura laughed. “We’ve all been there.” Johnny who was perched on the edge of the desk nodded in agreement.

Amelia folded her arms and realised she was fighting a losing battle. “I see I don’t have a choice in the matter do I?” She looked from Johnny to Laura, who both shook their heads enthusiastically.

“We’ll keep it low key.” Laura promised her, pulling out a note pad from her bag. “We’ll hire out a bar and have a guest list of just one hundred people or so.”

“One hundred?” Amelia gasped at stared at Laura. “I don’t even know one hundred people, never mind wanting to spend my birthday with them. Who exactly are you planning on inviting?”

“I’m sure we can come up with some names.” Laura looked at Johnny for his approval. Johnny shrugged casually and winked at Amelia.

“Help me out here Jeff!” Amelia shouted when she saw her friend walking past the office door. “I’m outnumbered.”

Jeff poked his head around the door and studied the scene in amusement. “Don’t worry Amelia. I’ll reign them in if needs be.”

“Don’t you have work to be doing?” She looked at Johnny who shrugged again. “And don’t you have a wedding to plan?” Amelia pointed at Laura. All she had heard Laura talk about for the past month or so was the wedding and now all of a sudden she was in party planning mode.

“I’ve been reigned in.” She explained and grinned at Jeff mischievously. “He thinks I’m getting too carried away and that I need something else to focus on. So...” She beamed at Amelia before turning on her heel to follow her husband out of the office.

Once Laura and Jeff had disappeared, Johnny swung himself over to the other side of the desk so that he was directly in front of Amelia. “Don’t worry about this party thing. I promise it will be small. We could just have it at my house if you’d like?” Amelia nodded gratefully and allowed Johnny to pull her up from the chair and into his arms. “I just want you to have some time to let your hair down and have a bit of fun.” He nuzzled his head into her hair.

“Thank you Johnny.” She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. “I have to admit it will be nice to be able to take my mind off January.”

“And you don’t need to plan a thing.” Johnny smiled, pulling back slightly to look Amelia in the eye. “Between the two of us, I’m sure that Jeff and I can keep Laura under supervision.”

Amelia laughed and kissed his cheek. “Well I’d better get back to work or Dimitry will be on my case.”

“Where is Dimitry?” Johnny asked, looking at his watch. It was well past nine in the morning. “Or is that a stupid question. I swear he’s actually the invisible man.”

As if by magic Dimitry appeared out of nowhere with a cup of coffee and a dramatic look on his face. “Amelia! How could you!?” he feigned a look of horror at the sight of Amelia and Johnny locked in an embrace. “I thought I was the only man for you!”

Amelia laughed. Dimitry was one of the guys who definitely knew about the relationship between her and Johnny. After all, it was difficult to keep anything a secret when working in such close proximity with these guys. Due to sharing the office between the three of them, Rick also knew, but she wasn’t sure who else had found out.

“So that’s what you two get up to when I’m not around?” Johnny joked, pretending to push Amelia away in disgust.

“Calm down boys.” Amelia laughed. “Didn’t your mother ever teach you to share?”

“Ew.” Dimitry teased and dumped his camera bag in the corner of the room before sitting down. “Knoxville, I’m stealing your girlfriend for the rest of the day. We have some pick up shots to film down town and I figured we could stop by Wee Man’s for lunch.”

“That sounds great.” Amelia smiled, untangling herself from Johnny. “Give me two minutes and I’ll be ready to go.”

“Man I wish I could tag along. You camera guys have all the fun. Jeff’s got me doing paperwork.” Johnny sulked and sat down in Amelia’s chair.

“Jeff and paperwork. What’s not to love about that?” Dimitry teased, taking the final gulp of his coffee before tossing it into the bin.

“I’m sure you’ll have plenty of fun.” Amelia smiled, pulling her jacket on and picking up her bag before pecking Johnny on the cheek. “See you later.”

***

In the end, Johnny and Jeff had managed to convince Laura that the best location for Amelia’s party would be Johnny’s house. They had invited twenty or so of Amelia’s closest friends, including Ryan and Rose who were flying over from West Chester. Pontius, Steve, Wee Man, Dimitry, Spike and their respective partners to name but a few would also be attending and Johnny’s daughter Madison had been invited as well. Amelia had not seen her since she and Johnny had returned from England and she was looking forward to spending time with her again. As an extra treat, Amelia, Rose, Laura and Madison had planned to go shopping on the morning of the party. Amelia and Johnny had picked Ryan and Rose up from the airport the day before and due to the lack of space in Amelia’s apartment, they were staying at Johnny’s house for the duration of their visit. Amelia could still not believe that her little sister was all grown up and living in West Chester of all places, but she was glad that she was happy. Amelia had decided to stay at her own apartment other than the night of the party as she didn’t want people to think she and Johnny were rushing into anything.

When Amelia arrived at Johnny’s that morning she introduced Rose to Laura and Madison before saying goodbye to the boys, who had been left with the task of keeping Brandon entertained. “Try not to make too much mess.” Laura grinned, hugging Jeff.

“Try not to spend too much.” Jeff joked as the couple’s said their goodbyes for the morning.

“So are you and my dad together now?” Madison grinned from the front passenger seat as soon as Amelia pulled off from Johnny’s drive way.

“I like your style.” Laura leaned forward and patted Madison’s shoulder. “Quick and to the point.”

Madison laughed. “Sorry but no one tells me anything.” She sighed dramatically and continued to look pointedly at Amelia for an answer. “So...?”

There was no point trying to fool Madison, after all she would see the two of them together tonight and she had seen them together at New Year. As Amelia recalled she had even seen them in the same bed. She was fourteen years old; she was neither nor stupid or naive.

“Ok. Yes we’re together.” Amelia laughed and she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment.

“Thank God for that.” Madison smiled and sat back in her seat contentedly. “Mom and I were hoping so.” Amelia blushed.

“Your mom?” Laura asked curiously, leaning forward again.

“Yeah. She still worries about him now that they’re divorced. She doesn’t want him to be alone I guess.” Madison shrugged. “And we both really like you Amelia.”

“Well thanks.” Amelia smiled. Despite having only met Mel once, Amelia thought she seemed like a nice woman and Johnny was fortunate to have such a good relationship with his ex wife.

“So how are things going between you and Johnny?” Rose asked as the four females wandered down the high street. Laura and Madison were up ahead talking about the wedding.

“Great.” Amelia smiled at her sister.

“Just great?” Rose raised an eyebrow.

“What do you want me to say?” Amelia laughed. “We’re taking things slow. I’m learning from my mistakes.”

“Hey, is that supposed to be a dig at me for moving in with Ryan?” Rose teased.

“Of course not.” Amelia nudged her sister playfully. “I’m just...we’re just taking things slow. I’m not ready for that kind of commitment again, not when I’m trying to get a divorce and everything.” She trailed off.

“Well I don’t blame you for being apprehensive about starting a new relationship but don’t you trust Johnny?” Rose looked at her sister.

“Of course I trust him. I just don’t want to ruin what we have by rushing into anything.”
Rose nodded understandingly. “But you’ve slept with him right?”

“Could you say that any louder?” Amelia shook her head incredulously at the audacity of her sister, especially when Johnny’s daughter was only just out of earshot.

“I’m sorry.” Rose teased as they hurried to keep up with the women in front. “You know what a nosey cow I am Amelia and I didn’t have chance to ask when you were in West Chester because the guys were with us. Anyway Johnny seems completely smitten with you.”

“Why? Have you been talking to him?” Amelia narrowed her eyes at her sister as they followed Laura and Madison into a clothes shop.

“I’m staying at his house; of course I’ve spoken to him. Now relax would you, we need to find super sexy outfits for your party.” Rose smiled and took Amelia by the arm.

After a mammoth shopping trip the girls piled back in to Amelia’s car and headed back to Johnny’s house. Spending the day with three highly excitable females had resulted in Amelia really looking forward to the party and she was keen to start getting ready. She and Rose locked themselves away in one of Johnny’s guest rooms to preen themselves.

“I can’t believe we’ve never done this before.” Rose laughed as she sat behind Amelia, curling her hair for her. Amelia was applying mascara.

“I know. I guess it’s the age difference. We used to fight a lot, remember?” Amelia mused.

“Yeah, you pretty much hated me until you went to uni.” Rose grinned. “And then you moved to the other side of the world to get away from me.”

“I didn’t hate you Rose. You were just a moody bitch.” Amelia laughed, remembering her sister's tantrums.

“Less of the moody! I have curlers in my hand.” Rose warned, waving the hot curling irons at her sister.

“Ok ok, we just didn’t see eye to eye back then.” Amelia conceded, applying the finishing touches to her makeup.

“You can say that again.” Rose paused, putting the curlers down. “Do you remember the time I beat you up because I was trying to run away from home and you wouldn’t give me the keys.”

“Oh yes I remember.” Amelia started giggling. “You climbed out of the living room window because all of the doors were locked.”

“I went all the way to London and then changed my mind.” Rose grinned and started curling Amelia’s hair again.

“After smashing one of mum’s antique vases.” Amelia added. “She still hasn’t forgiven you for that.”

“God I really was a bitch wasn’t I? I’m surprised you even talk to me after the things I used to say to you.”

“You used to call me fat.” Amelia laughed. “I hated you for that. I was really self conscious about my body.”

Rose smiled apologetically at her sister. “Yeah well now you’re skinnier than me so I’d say that’s karma.” Rose laughed, poking Amelia in the ribs. Amelia laughed and batted her hand away. “I’m glad we get on now Amelia. Just think, if we’d hated each other when we went to the festival a few years ago I probably would never have met Ryan...”

“And now look at you. You’re living in America.” Amelia stood up after Rose had curled the last section of hair and applied copious amounts of hairspray. “I bet mum hates me for that. It’s my fault for letting the guys corrupt you.”

“No, she loves you for that!” Rose corrected her. “You’ve always been her favourite.”

“I’m not gonna argue with you on that one.” Amelia laughed and swapped places with Rose so that she could curl her hair for her. “She probably wished we’d swapped and I’d moved back home.”

Rose nodded and started applying foundation to her skin. “She really hoped it was going to be a permanent thing when you flew over in the summer. I think she was a tiny bit disappointed when brought Knoxville with you, but dad was literally over the moon. I don’t know why but he really likes Johnny and that kind of made mum feel better about the situation.”

Amelia laughed. “Well they’re flying over for Christmas. Are you and Ryan gonna be here?”

“Ugh.” Rose groaned at the idea of Christmas with their parents. “I suppose so.”