Status: Active

The Wolf of the Snow

Gone

Bella's birthday came by rather quickly, and I got suckered into helping to decorate the Cullen's house. I was horrible at it, but Alice did most of the work anyway.

"They are on their way!" The little pixie chimed and everyone got into possition as the sound of a car engine growing closer and closer.

I leaned into Jasper, who was backed against the wall farthest from the door. I understood his distance, he was still reletively new to the whole vegitarian diet and still had trouble around humans, like Bella. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me tighter to him as Eddie and Bella walked through the door, using my wolfish scent to block out her's.

"Happy Birthday Bella!" Everyone shouted as she walked in. I could hear her faint groan and smiled softly.

"You guyyys." She whinned, very unlike her, "I told you not to do this."

"Oh come on Bells, let them have their fun." Edward whispered into her ear, kissing her softly on the forehead.

"Here!" Alice exclaimed handing the blushing human her first gift.

Bella carefully opened it, "An empty box?" She questioned, holding it up.

I laughed as Edward explained it to her and Emmett came back in after installing the stereo in her ancient truck.

She also recieved a photo album and plane tickets, and then I stepped forward to hand her mine and Jaspers. I felt him stiffen as I walked away, but didn't think anything of it.

"This is from Jasper and me." I said handing it to her.

She blushed and mummbled a thank you as she took it and carefully slid her finger under the wrapping.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion, I heared her suck in a sharp breath, and the very faint smell of blood hit my nose. I whipped around to face Jasper, to see him flying through the air towards her, an animalistic look distorting his face. Edward pushed Bella back into a table glass and the smell of blood became over powering.

I jumped in Jasper's path, causing him to collide with me, sending us both flying, my collar bone snapping on impact. Emmett and Devin grabbed a hold of Jasper's arms, jerking him off of me and holding him as he desperately fought to get free and suck Bella dry.

"Take him outside!" Carlisle said sternly as he helped Bella to stand, blood now poring from her arm.

I looked around the now messy house, Alice had a look of horror on her face, as well as hunger, and she quickly left, covering her nose as she went followed closely by Rose and Esme. Edward had disappeard into the kitchen with Carlisle and Bella, so now I was left standing alone, my collar bone dully aching.

I reached up and painfully moved my bone into place as it healed and then took off after Jasper and the others.

"Emmett!" I called as I saw him standing at the edge of the forest looking worried.

"Ahna." Emmett said as I reached him.

"Where's Jasper?" I asked.

Emmett gestered into the forest, "He took off as soon as we couldn't smell Bella anymore. He needs some time on his own I think." He said with a clear warning in his voice.

I nodded, understanding, and stood statue still next to the buff vamp as we waited.

"How's your bone?" he asked, "We all heard it snap, though not sure which one it was."

"It was my collar bone, and it's completely healed, thanks for asking." I answered, not taking my eyes from the darkness of the forest.

We heard Edward take Bella home a little while later, and then soon after that, Jasper returned.

He walked right past both Emmett and I without a word and went inside, presumably to his room. I sighed, glancing at Emmett's worried face, and then I hurried inside after him.

"Jasper?" I called, tapping on his door. I couldn't hear him in there, but I could smell him. He didn't answer.

I opened the door slowly, peering inside. It was completely dark, but I could see just fine. I saw Jasper sitting still as stone on his bed, looking outside, yet not really seeing.

"Jasper?" I repeated softly, carefully walking into the room, closing the door behind me and sitting next to him. He didn't acknowledge my presense in the least.

"Are you ok?" I asked, resting my hand upon his ice cold one. He curled his hand into a fist under mine, but other than that, he didn't move.

I sighed, "Everyone makes mistakes Jazz."

A faint growl rummbled in his chest, "I was going to kill her. I hurt you."

"I am fine." I said firmly, "And that wasn't your fault."

His eyes snapped to me, dark with malice, "It was all my fault." He said slowly, "I attacked her."

"Bacause she was bleeding. Give yourself a break Jasper, you're still new at this." I said, trying to stay calm.

He jerked away from me with a sneer, "You don't understand. Just run back to your fellow mutts and leave me be."

I flinched at his harsh words. I knew he was just angry with himself so I nodded, giving him some space might do him some good.

I quietly stood up, whispering "If you need anything Jasper, you know how to reach me." and then I left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days passed without a single word from the Cullens. I spent most of my time patroling with the guys, keeping my mind away from the honey blonde vamp and his lack of comunication. At the moment I was sitting in the living room, chatting with Jarred when suddenly Sam burst through the door looking harassed.

"Bella is missing." He exclaimed.

"What!?" I jumped up, eyes wide.

"Chief Swan has called a seach party. We should help."

We all nodded and started for the door, but Sam stopped me, "there's something else." He began, watching me carefully, "It's been rumored that the Cullens packed up and left town today...all of them."

I stared at Sam, not understanding. He had an almost sad look on his face. And then I slowly understood why. "All of them?" I whispered, my heart giving a painful tug in my chest.

Sam just looked at me nodding. I stood dumbstruck. He wouldn't leave. Especially without saying a goodbye.

I rushed past Sam, intent on seeing this for myself. I phased in mid-run, racing towards the Cullen's house, my mind racing, denial setting in. The only thing that I could think was, "He wouldn't do that to me. He couldn't."

But when I reached their deserted house, I realised just how wrong I was. He could very well just leave me here, heartbroken, and he did.

I skidded to a halt, just staring. It was clear that the house was empty. The scent of vampire was very faint, suggesting that they had all left a day or two ago.

The pain I felt as that realisation sunk in was crippling. A heart wrenching howl echoed through the forest, and it took me a minute to realise that I was the one making that sound. As my howl cut off, I collapsed on the ground, still in my wolf form, and lost myself to my misery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jasper's POV

I ran with my family as we left Forks. My dead heart ached at what I was doing. I wasn't even saying good-bye to her, taking Edwards advice to heart about a clean break. She deserved much better than a monster like me, and someday she would move on, she would have to.

We stopped just a little bit away from Forks, waiting on Edward to finish up his buisness. He arrived a little but later, and as we were about to leave for good, a heart breaking howl filled the air and I didn't need to see, to know whose howl it belonged to. As we listened in saddened silence, my heart slowly broke into a thousand pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am soooooooooooooooo sorry that I haven't updated in a while, I've had major writers block. If ya'll could help me out and toss some ideas my way, it would be greatly appreciated!